iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rusty old Stanley plane

Started by 4speed, May 14, 2013, 06:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4speed

This plane belonged to my Great Grandfather. My sister found it in my Grandmother's barn after she passed away. I don't know much about planes, but since this belonged to my Pappa Tony, I would like to clean it up and use it if possible. I know it has been in the barn at least 30 years, probably longer as Pappa's health didn't allow him to work much after the mid 1970's. Several of his tools were passed on to me including a lathe, planer, and various hand tools. If the plane can be saved, what is the best way to clean/repair it? 

T Welsh

4speed, Congrates on getting his tools! I too have inherited many of my grandfathers tools. Take it apart and start wire brushing the crude and rust off it. I take it one step further and hit all metal parts on a wire wheel and go right to bare metal,once cleaned to my liking i drop all metal parts in clean motor oil over night and let them saturate, dry them off and resharpen the blade and put it back together. I see that they rear handle is wrapped in tape,probably broken! No big deal most of them are, finding a new replacement handle is not to hard. I took a piece of cherry scrap and made a new handle and front knob on my grandfathers plane, honed the sole and blade to a mirror finish. I love the feel of old tools especially when it was my fathers or my grandfathers,both are passed now, and when I use there tools my hands touch there hands ;) Tim

Al_Smith

It's a thing of pride when generation after generation inherits the tools of our forefathers .I have in my possesion tools that go back to my great grandfather who brought them from England around the 1890's .Prior to they were his fathers . They served my great grand father my grand father my father  and now me .They were all machinsts by trade .I the odd ball electrician with a machinests brain .

They will go eventually to my son and eventually to my grandson .

You never know though in this changing world I might have a grand daughter some day who likes to make metal shavings .Stranger things have happened . ;)

T Welsh

4speed, You should be able to find the exact model at this site http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm
Tim

thecfarm

I have some chains and peaveys that my Grand Father used. The only wood working tools I got from him was in log form.  ;D  My Grand Father passed away when I was about 2-3,both of them. That's what's happens when your parents gets married in thier early 40's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4speed

Thanks, Tim. I will give it a shot. I also have his .410 shotgun. He was known as the town's fix-it man. I am proud to have his tools.

mesquite buckeye

That rust looks mostly superficial. You might be able to get most of it with some light oil and fine steel wool. I would try that first and try to save as much of the original finish as possible. The wooden handles can be cleaned and oiled with diluted linseed oil if they are solid.

Very cool. Your great grandfather is there whenever you use his tools.

I have a bunch of woodworking tools left to me passed through my grandfather, then my father from my great grand uncle that came over with the family from Germany in the 1880's.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!