iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Not-So-Highly-Valuable Black Walnut Log

Started by WDH, January 25, 2014, 09:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

John,

I brought the best of the limb logs home on another trailer to see what I can get out of them with the LT15.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

I'm impressed with your haul-trailer toting that Deere loader and logs. Knowing the tires are fluid-filled and extra weights, any specs on trailer?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

I was heading down with my F450 dump truck to bring back some of the winnings [slabs]. Then you said grits was the prize.  :'(
Think like a farmer.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Holmes on January 26, 2014, 09:22:21 AM
  I was heading down with my F450 dump truck to bring back some of the winnings [slabs]. Then you said grits was the prize.  :'(

Well, if there were any leftover grits, you could put them in the fridge and then later could cut yourself a SLAB o' GRITS! Then all you need to do is fry it up in a pan of drippins from good country sausage... HMMMMMMM GOOD as Grannie used to say.

Herb

Dodgy Loner

I wanna see what's inside. What's the big idea, posting all these pictures before the deed is done ???
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

"Some folks" have a hard time coordinating their skills.   :-\    Some don't.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on January 27, 2014, 10:06:17 AM
What's the big idea, posting all these pictures before the deed is done ???

Confucius say, "He who has been gifted hordes of walnut and cherry lumber can be impatient with others." 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

WDH

Magicman

WDH

Looks like I need to move to South Mississippi  ;D.

Magicman

Or bring your trailer for a visit.  Now let's see, how many Chickin Crispins have you missed??  One? Two?  Mmmm, No, you have actually missed Three.   :D

WDH

I used to come to McComb all the time, when I was a working man........

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 27, 2014, 11:18:13 PM
I used to come to McComb all the time, when I was a working man........

Now you're a begging man.  :)

Magicman

Nomad

Nah.  The only things Danny begs for are Walnut, Cherry, and quartersawn Sycamore. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on January 28, 2014, 05:48:43 PM
     Nah.  The only things Danny begs for are Walnut, Cherry, and quartersawn Sycamore. :D

Thats what I mean.  :D If I knew somebody that had Cherry logs and I mean REAL logs.......I'd be begging too!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

customsawyer

Starting to get scared of what Danny and the rest of you are talking me into.

Chain the tractor does not have filled tires or extra weights other than the box blade on the back and the belly pan. The trailer was originally a 10 ton trailer then when it was about 12 years old I had new 12 ton axles put under it. The trailer has hauled a lot more than was on there in those pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Well, today was the day to harvest some metal saw the not-so-highly-valuable walnut log.  Three or four bullets and only five or six nails.  No insulators, tire irons, clothes line pulleys, or Kentucky Long Rifles. 

Here is the butt log being whittled down. 

There were some nice slabs from this log. From the second log, not so good.  This one was coyote ugly. 

Some good figure in the usable pieces that we were able to recover.

From left to right.  Bill Nomad, his friend John Dukes, B.L. Horne, Colin Horne, and Jake.

There were some boards that only a Mother and David Poston could love  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Oh Lawdy.......hep me, hep me.......I'm in love! smiley_love

Me and Glenn could make something outta of that junk highly valuable Walnut.  ;D

hackberry jake

Those boards are highly valuable pen blank and knife handle material!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Actually, there was a good bit of highly figured pieces that are maybe 1 or 2 board feet that would make some very nice small projects. 

Thank You Sponsors!