iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red saw orange saw

Started by coxy, March 08, 2018, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

Quote from: coxy on April 01, 2018, 07:38:36 PM
well put me in the what freaking fool jail cause that's what i do and did the same thing with a snowmobile motor after a rebuild  put it on a stand let idle for about 30 seconds  then hammer down  it got new rings every 2 races and new piston and rings every 4 races never had one come apart so call me and others what you want  :)
Not putting you anywhere or calling you anything - but I had a couple of friends that raced factory sponsored very high end oval track snowmobiles for Bombardier based here in Northern ON, who regularly competed in the Ontario, Quebec, and Canadian Championships and won a lot and did very well - but I never heard or saw them do any of this to their engines.. ever!  Way too much $$'s and time involved!
Dangerous occupation certainly with all of those deadly studs and super sharp runners on crowded tracks at close to 100 mph on very short straightaways and I was tasked often to try and get decent sponsorship photos of them during races without getting myself killed doing so..!
I also know they very seldom ever replaced rings or pistons but if it was ever needed break-in procedures were done under increasingly moderate conditions on open track days with increasing loads (speeds) to seat any parts to the jugs as needed.
I'm not doubting your story - but is it possible that the reason you had your engines apart so often was because said break-in procedures weren't the best and that it may have contributed to your need to constantly be putting fresh bits in?
To say you never had an engine come apart - when by your own admission they  always were, is confusing to say the least - but high rpms with no load on any engine seldom ever results in anything productive occurring - and usually the opposite in fact happening!
Would you buy a brand new truck or most any type of powered equipment, take it out of the dealership and with no break-in efforts put it in a Neutral situation and immediately flog it at full throttle for 5 or 10 minutes to try and get 'Brand Peace of Mind'?
Maybe your answer is YES - but I'll bet you dealership's warranty manager would surely cringe and possibly pull your warranty if he saw it happen!    

chet

smiley_gossip  is it time for separate corners?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Quote from: chet on April 01, 2018, 11:38:25 PM
smiley_gossip  is it time for separate corners?
I don't think so. Looks to me everything is said and done,
Perfectly. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

Rings do not wear in to a total seal by static tension alone.  They need sufficient cylinder pressure to force the ring face out of the groove and into the hone crosshatch before the crosshatch wears away.  It does not last long.  If you havent gotten all the high spots "filed" off the ring before youve lost the hone, then your compression and leakdown numbers will suffer.  Oil consumption and blowby also increases.  a race team that isnt changing wear parts very often runs counter to my experiences as an engine builder.

When one airs their opinions, they must be willing to accept the responses it provokes.  If you dont like the responses then maybe keep your thoughts to yourself.  

Looks like your ivory tower comment to me got deleted so ill drop it.
Praise The Lord

HolmenTree

Quote from: mike_belben on April 02, 2018, 08:00:24 AM
When one airs their opinions, they must be willing to accept the responses it provokes.  If you dont like the responses then maybe keep your thoughts to yourself.  

Looks like your ivory tower comment to me got deleted so ill drop it.

Funny how the posts turned from cracking a chainsaw WOT to responses with a full race snowmobile breaking in the rings .

apples and oranges...... ::)
That's all I have to say.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

realzed

Yea - but lastly I just need to know if I have a 'full race snowmobile' and want to burn it to the ground.. will it be deemed as acceptable or considered 'my right' to do so?   :) ;D

mike_belben

Its your stuff, do as you wish.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!