iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just curious...

Started by HiTech, August 16, 2015, 06:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

where all the wood and pulp will go with most of the Paper Mills closed up? In my area it looks like a lot is going in chips for fuel.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HiTech on August 16, 2015, 06:11:43 AM
where all the wood and pulp will go with most of the Paper Mills closed up? In my area it looks like a lot is going in chips for fuel.
NY is supposed to have a certain percentage of "renewable  & green" energy for state buildings, and places that get state and federal funding, don't quote me on the percentage, but I know there is a push for a few more chip plants. Things are a little different up there for you guys with pulp than down here, I'm one of the few who cuts and ships hemlock pulp, all the HW goes to firewood down here. We looked at a big Morbark chipper a few yrs ago in Cooperstown, guy was way high on price, then sold it for 1/2 what we had offered him months later. I think unless you really had good employees and a good market for chips down here its going to be a hard sell on alot of private woodlots. 2 grapples, delimber and chipper parked on a small lot isn't cost effective. I want to know when the state is actually going to mark more wood, at a reasonable price, just saw another guy cut out back last winter, couldn't make the state payments and fold. I'm looking for a tractor trailer load of "NICE" Tamerack or Japanese larch, just throwing it out there, didn't know if you had much of it up there.

bushmechanic

Your lucky that you have chip operations close to your area. The closest paper mill is eight hours drive away and is the only one on the island. We only have stud wood logs and firewood coming from our logging operation. Just the same all operations in this area can't keep with firewood orders, go figure. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: bushmechanic on August 16, 2015, 07:55:08 AM
Your lucky that you have chip operations close to your area. The closest paper mill is eight hours drive away and is the only one on the island. We only have stud wood logs and firewood coming from our logging operation. Just the same all operations in this area can't keep with firewood orders, go figure.
Another local logger beat us on buying a full blown FW kiln set up a few months ago, unfortunately that's going to be the new normal for 50% of your business down here soon. We ran out of wood a few yrs ago, was getting a load brought down and sending pulp back, said never again. The biggest problem is people still think they can buy a load of wood for 400 off the truck, like fw is just something I give away. Our contract with the state for FW has gotten to the point we have a zero tolerance policy for a bad customer, bad enough my tax dollars are paying to keep you warm. About 2/3 of them actually need it, the rest are just beating the system.

thecfarm

I know of 2 biomass plants in Maine. Might be more. One I am only 15 minutes from me,another maybe an hour. If there was good money in that,they would be more biomass plants. Those plants can only take so much chips. It will be interesting to see where the pulp does go. When I was growing up a job at the papermill and you was set for life. Now you have to wonder about what will happen tomorrow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!