iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is EAB a threat to sawn Ash boards?

Started by shinnlinger, July 25, 2009, 07:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Today I was digging through my piles of bards and stumbled upon a bunch of ash I sawed a couple of years ago.  I was in the pile for pine trim boards so I didn't linger, but It looked good, So I put tin on and left, but I wondered if sawed boards are attractive to EAB or not and if so how do I protect my goods?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jeff

If there is no bark, there is no problem.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

John Bartley

No, already milled boards are not at risk. The EAB requires a living tree to land on and live in. The only time boards are a problem (a problem to other trees) is if they are milled from a tree that already has EAB and then only if you don't take care to mill below the sapwood. Not milling deeply enough creates the risk of transporting the EAB to a new location when you move the lumber. The EAB lives in the cambium (sp?) layer between the bark and the wood as far as I know.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

shinnlinger

Thats an answer I can sleep with...  Thanks!!!
Shinnlinger

beenthere

Quote from: John Bartley on July 25, 2009, 08:01:27 PM
No, already milled boards are not at risk. The EAB requires a living tree to land on and live in. The only time boards are a problem (a problem to other trees) is if they are milled from a tree that already has EAB and then only if you don't take care to mill below the sapwood. Not milling deeply enough creates the risk of transporting the EAB to a new location when you move the lumber. The EAB lives in the cambium (sp?) layer between the bark and the wood as far as I know.

I'd suggest that John meant "mill below the bark/cambium layer" and mill in the sapwood or deeper.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger

John Bartley

Yes, for protection of existing lumber, "below the cambium layer" is probably sufficient (I'm no expert).

However ..... The Ontario legislation dealing with wood movement however (not the subject of the thread, but maybe of interest) says the following::

Quote3. Ash Lumber:

Ash lumber is only permitted to be moved from regulated areas of Canada to non-regulated areas if the following treatment conditions are met:

Bark Free: for the purposes of this directive, bark free means free of all bark, as well as the underlying cambial tissues and sapwood to a depth of 2.5 cm and, free of signs of EAB (exit holes or serpentine galleries);

I'm open for education here folks.....

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Den Socling

I think there is a big difference between green wood and dry wood as far as bugs are concerned. If the cambium is present on green wood, eggs and larvae could be present but bugs don't like to eat dry wood. And they really don't like to get cooked in a kiln.

petefrom bearswamp

Just motored back from chicago on rts 80 and 90 thru Ohio, Pa and NY
Saw lots of dead and dying ash , but ran out of it east of Buffalo.
I am going to sell my 46 mbf of ash timber within the next month.
Crying shame.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!