iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vancouver Island, where to start? Just looking for a new career...

Started by Kyle_, January 15, 2014, 02:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle_

Hey all,

I'm relocating to Vancouver Island next month. Will be staying in the Comox Valley area for now, but willing to live anywhere on the island. I'm looking for a new career path, and my love of the outdoors leads me to logging. A little about myself:

I've been living and working in Alberta for 4 years, most of my work has been in the oilfield trucking industry,so being around logging operations isn't a new sight for me. I've always been curious about the logistics of logging and forestry, and I am confident I would enjoy a job in that field.

I'm an adept front loader operator and I've played with a track-hoe a couple times. I find that my hand eye coordination is very good, and I have a knack for running equipment. I'm used to working 12-16 hour days, most of which is outdoors. I've got a diesel truck, and I'm willing to work in camp or travel across the island for work.

The problem is, I have no idea where to start... I've searched these forums, craigslist and other avenues and haven't really come up with much. The last time I was there, I saw plenty of log trucks running around, so I'm sure there is something there. I don't really know many people there, so knowing the right person won't work for me. I'm not looking for a particular position, even if it's just labour... I know I've gotta get my foot in the door. Do I just start asking around? Is there a union? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Kyle

mad murdock

short of getting on a CB, and starting networking with drivers, and gypo crews, you might find out who the land owners are that are harvesting, go to their office, and ask who their list of contractors are, then you can go to the contractors directly and apply for work?  Got to be a waay to git er done'.  Good luck, VI is a nice place for sure!  Nice timber too 8)  I would suspect somewhere aroun Campbell River would be a good place to start.  Lots of lumbering nd logging going on centered around there. Good Luck!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SliverPicker

Be willing to do any part of the job and do it with a smile and you will rise rapidly in the ranks.

Follow an empty truck back to a landing and start kicking tires.
Yooper by trade.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
A willingness to work, the ability to learn, and a cheerful approach all will go a long way. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Kyle_

Right on, thanks for the replies!  ;D

Glad to hear there's lots of logging around the Campbell River area, I won't be too far away from there. Maybe someone from the area will chime in at some point.

I certainly do have the willingness to do whatever the job takes. Not only do I need the money, but I have a genuine interest in it and I know how to work.

Thanks again!

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

ST Ranch

Kyle - some possible contacts:
1] North island woodlot association - G search them and some good links on their web page - they are small scale forest operators
2] BC truck loggers association - members are loggers, truckers, suppliers, etc
3]  Local Chamber of Commerce office - may have members in the logging community
4] the District Forest Service office - want to talk to a BC timber sales manger or staff - they manage the crown timber sale logging operations.  Also want to talk to woodlot manager at same office - they should have good contacts.
5] Check the local union hall - I think some logging operations are still union shows - United steel workers oversee the logging unions I think - used to be the IWA
6] A lot of the logs hauled on the coast are delivered to log sort yards, usually located on the waterfront - ask the locals where they are and drop by and get some possible leads.
Good luck
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Kyle_

Quote from: ST Ranch on January 15, 2014, 09:34:36 PM
Kyle - some possible contacts:
1] North island woodlot association - G search them and some good links on their web page - they are small scale forest operators
2] BC truck loggers association - members are loggers, truckers, suppliers, etc
3]  Local Chamber of Commerce office - may have members in the logging community
4] the District Forest Service office - want to talk to a BC timber sales manger or staff - they manage the crown timber sale logging operations.  Also want to talk to woodlot manager at same office - they should have good contacts.
5] Check the local union hall - I think some logging operations are still union shows - United steel workers oversee the logging unions I think - used to be the IWA
6] A lot of the logs hauled on the coast are delivered to log sort yards, usually located on the waterfront - ask the locals where they are and drop by and get some possible leads.
Good luck
Tom

Thanks a lot!! This is the information I was looking for! I'll be out there in a couple weeks, and this is exactly what I'm going to do.

If anyone else has any more ideas, they're greatly appreciated. I'm eager, driven and willing to do whatever!

Thanks,
Kyle

Paul_H

Welcome Kyle,
I was in the logging industry full time from the late 70's till 2008 and half that time I was an employee and the other half an employer.Our method was 99% highlead logging and were full phase stump to dump but also planning and silvicutlure obligations.
In highlead you need more guys on the ground than on machines and those guys on machines must be experienced and to get that experience,they would ideally spend a few years on the ground setting chokers,moving tail blocks and tearing their clothes up in the brush. There are always exceptions to the rules but that usually depends on who you know or how desperate they are for manpower.
The Island and lower mainland are seeing more and more groundbased in the flatter areas in the second growth.You might have an easier time getting on a machine with a road crew or a dryland sort.

When we were hiring,we rarely considered someones experience in a different field other than a kind of tempering of the work ethic.The woods has different challenges and dangers than the oil field or highway construction.When I went to work for a construction company laying a 12" and 24" watermain my logging experience helped very little and I was a greenhorn in the construction industry.

Be willing to do whatever work you are offered and do your best while scoping out the industry and maybe you will have more opportunities as they get to know you.
I know a man that came out from back east 40+ years ago speaking only French and living under a bridge.He hired on as a skidder operator and was fired within a day.He hired on elsewhere with a more willing employer and flourished.He is semi retired now and owns a succesful heli logging outfit.

You never know.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!