iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Looks like Jim is making trailer decking puzzles again!

Today I took a wide slab that I chainsaw milled last year and had kiln dried recently and planed it flat to 2.25".  I had split the slab in two because it was already mostly naturally split and my buddy wanted to make a river table so I just drove a wood wedge in and finished the split.  Anyway today we jointed/planed it with the Woodmizer MP100 beam planer.  It was 8ft long, but he needed a 5 ish foot table for his new place.  He's going to do the epoxy river in a translucent smoke tint, but he's also planning to put a walnut island in the opening to reduce the pour by about a gallon or so and we think it will look good.  This piece had some of the carpenter ant nest but he liked that and will look good when epoxied.  I got two other slabs from that tree that did not have ant nest.  I'll make tables from those later.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

Finally got a new phone case so my pics are clear now.
Today's work: Debarking several big logs and....
17' Walnut gunstock post.  10x10 with 16" gunstock.

25' Walnut 19/22.5 dia.  straight, no knots other than crotch at top.

I cut the opening face and then pulled the log off the mill on the ground in front of the mill and rolled it on bunks.  Monday it goes back on the mill to finish milling.  Logs this big are better to pull off with forklift to roll them on bunks on the ground.

While I did that, my mill buddy Johnny was debarking 4.5" and 6.5" Cherry brace stock that's been sitting in the barn for over a year and sanding the live edge.  They'll get jointed/planed later.

doc henderson

maple stump table, going to the home of Randi the director of the trauma department at my old hospital.  she offered to donate 300$ to my polyurethane fund!  i declined.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

I've been sawing slabs most of this week.  This morning I was cleaning some up to market and this one caught my eye.  Had a lot more color than the others.

Think its a keeper.  I might turn a platter or maybe wall art out of this section.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

an elm that kept staring at me so I put it one the mill to try out the green laser line.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

Finished up my biggest sawmill job to date today. Ended up milling at this sight 5 days. Sadly, I wasn't able to make it 5 consecutive days, due to bad weather and a broken rib it took 3 months. All blued pine, mostly 2x4 and 2x6's. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Those 1X16's have some mighty tight grain.  Gonna make somebody very happy.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Just catchin up, @Brad_bb, have Johnny try flipping that drawknife over.

Magicman

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed.  :-X  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I had not, MM maybe brad uses a draw knife "hand model". for his photo shoot.   :)

Brad_bb

That's just the more aggressive way to use it.   We're just busting bark off there.  I use it that way draw knifing pegs too.  I actually prefer to use it that way more of the time. Done it both ways.  To each his own.  

OffGrid973

Busy day but love the nice weather  

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

randy d

Nice sawing, one thing we all have in common lots of saw dust and lots of slabs. It looks like the lt10 is doing a good job.

fishfighter

Was a service day on the mill. Had to replace a bearing in the clutch. Real first bearing to go out on my 126. Was able to buy it local. A true 1"x2" bearing. ;D After that, I pulled the mill out from under the saw shack. Got the backhoe in there to remove a year of saw dust. When to get the tractor to finish the clean up, but found it had a front flat tire. >:(

Will have that fixed tomorrow, change oil on mill and then move the mill back home.

Brad_bb

Surprised there is less posting on this thread than in the past.  I'm posting more because I'm into some big walnut.  Maybe a lot of guys have big walnut?

Here's a 10.5x16x24+ft Walnut that is good enough to be a tie beam(in the foreground).

I got a few jacket boards from this log that looked like this.  I like the clean sapwood contrasting with the heartwood.

Magicman

Brad, there are very few Walnut trees in my area that would saw out a timber like that.  :o

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2019, 10:09:50 PM
Brad, there are very few Walnut trees in my area that would saw out a timber like that.  :o
Same thing here.  I don't think we have the right type soil for them to grow well.  I have a couple of walnuts down by the road that don't look like they have grown any in 50 years.  I use to throw rocks or walnuts up in the tree to knock the walnuts down when I was waiting on the school bus ... just for kicks.  I don't think they would be much over 14 inches right now.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Darrel

Banjo, I'll just bet those small for their age walnuts have some beautiful wood in them. Nice tight grain along with all the character that comes with age. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

I'm still working on the two loads of walnut I got back in Fall of '17.  I started with smallest stuff first so now I'm down to the big 'uns.  About 22 or so sticks to go, but I can only do about one a day because they are so much to deal with, and then edging the jacket boards etc.  This last one was pretty amazing because it was so straight and didn't have a crotch until 24 or 25 feet.  I thought it didn't have any knots but I came across one buried inside that was 2.5"dia in the middle, but it's also centered in all directions, so it's on the neutral axis, which is best.  On the neutral axis, there is neither compression, nor tension, hence neutral.  And it's only on one face.

Magicman

Couple of years ago I saw some tall straight Walnut trees in a NY State Park and it took me a while to figure out what they were.  Amazing. 

Kwill

Well i was  milling a nice white oak

Till this happened

Axle broke ruined the blade and for sure one tire and maybe the other. Spent a few days getting this thing back together and finally had the raise and lower part fixed where it works good and this happens. Really didn't need this to happen at the moment with my building half built and no way to cut the lumber for the header now.  8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

tule peak timber

Similar to Brad's,, what we are cutting this week. Also the last of the grafted walnut . These walnuts are too big for the mill and the 100 pound trim chunks go to the local school and a veterans turning group.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

got an air dry 2 " slab out for a youth paster/scout master today.  17% MC and planed out nice.  this was and elm log that had already grayed and split on the outside. found a nice slab to make a corner tv stand.  been air drying 1 year, occ. blowing of tarps.  some 31" wide by 10 feet long.

great grain pattern but he did not want to apply finish until he is sure how he wants to do the final finish.

Thank You Sponsors!