iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone read the Dec 03  Wood magazine

Started by WV_hillbilly, January 30, 2004, 05:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

This is strickly a hardwood operation, sawing for grade.  I've heard employment between 300-400 people, not counting sub contract haulers or woods crews. Owner says its the largest mill in the east.  There might be some BS in there someplace.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

HI Ron:

It does seem high, but Irving and Groupe Savoi each product 1 million board feet a week (50-60 million annually). They have 2 or 3 sawmills and processing plants each though and its not just lumber they are producing. Take a look at the links I posted above.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen

On my out the door!
The biggest here in Nova Scotia produces 180 million board feet of finished, kiln dried lumber annually.

www.mactara.com

1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

SwampDonkey

@ Stephen

That's softwood though guy  ;D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skeeter

WV_hillbilly,

I wisht I could read that article....I'm located right smack between 'em !!!

My *to do * list includes getting up there to see Big Timber and to see the Pierce mill as well.

Is that article available on line at all ?

Skeeter
Skeeter

WV_hillbilly

Skeeter  

I don ' t know if it 's availiable online . I just happened to be at Woodcraft and picked up the mag and bought it .

One of these days I will get to see   one of them mills. I 'd also like to tour the Bruce Hardwood Floors plant down around Elkins WV some day too .
Hillbilly

Jason_WI

I think that the Sauder furniture is mostly glue than sawdust cause it takes 3 men and a boy to move them desks.  ;D :D

I have a sawdust desk now but in the not to distant future here I will have a desk made out of wormy butternut I milled from my dad's farm.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Thank You Sponsors!