iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-training Courses

Started by Brian_Weekley, August 17, 2018, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

Lay-offs are coming at our company and we are eligible for up to $5000 reimbursement for career development or retraining courses.  Many folks are looking for fun things to use it for.  It has to be justifiable as a legitimate career.  Something like golf lessons to become a golf pro or swimming lessons to be a lifeguard are not acceptable.  However, beer making courses to become a certified "brew master" might be legitimate?  Come on--let's hear some fun suggestions with justification! 
8) 
e aho laula

WV Sawmiller

I don't know about the brewmaster justifications but looks to me like a fine time to spread the wealth around to your FF friends. :D 

I am sure there are a number of us who will be glad to give you classes in running a sawmill. I think you need training in various kinds of wood and lumber found in several regions so you can start with your local FF members then come on down this way and I can offer training on the native woods here. training will include log loading on to the mill, off-bearing, lumber stacking and stickering, proper clean up of the mill site. We will even offer classes on use of SimpleSet and you will be able to run the mill. Mill lube and maintenance, band installation and removal, lube and fuel tank filing, sawdust removal with a leaf blower, etc are just a few of the short courses offered. You will receive an invoice detailing all fees paid for training. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mdntnn

I think a Timber Framing training class would qualify and be a great to learn. 

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 17, 2018, 01:47:24 PM
training will include log loading on to the mill, off-bearing, lumber stacking and stickering, proper clean up of the mill site...
Yes, that's exactly the first suggestion I was expecting from the FF!  Use some official FF letterhead and work on that syllabus for me.   :D

Quote from: Mdntnn on August 17, 2018, 03:08:10 PM
I think a Timber Framing training class would qualify and be a great to learn.
More timber frame courses are definitely on my list.   ;)

e aho laula

WV Sawmiller

Brian,

I am glad we did not let you down. :D 

Sorry about the lay-offs and I do seriously hope you can find some good training that will help you transition into something you will enjoy and profit from. thumbs-up
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

Thanks. Now I'm on Medicare and today I can buy my lifetime WV hunting, fishing and trapping license for $25. Used to be free when you hit 65 but 5-6 years ago the state saw a chance to get one more fee from us. I bought all 3 of my granddaughters their lifetime licenses for their 1st birthday so they don't have any excuse not to go hunting and fishing with Grandpaw.
Howard Green

Chuck White

How about lessons on the operation of your new sawmill!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I would consider making a "sit down " appointment with your local college career person.  You may waste 4 hours, but then again it might not be wasted.  One never knows until one asks. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

As far as training courses go I suggest that Mr. Robert Milton be the first considered for the position of training PRO.
He can take you from the standing tree, to bucking to length to maximizing yield, what to look for when purchasing logs, to sawing for the best product and yield, to properly stacking for his kiln, to air drying, to kiln drying, to finishing lumber for sale to the general public.
He definitely could get you some hands on experience.
My gut feel is you would feel like you have been fed with a very large fire hose at full throttle.
My wife and I visited with him this spring and came away feeling overwhelmed.  I'm still ciphering some of what he said on occasion.  He has identified bottlenecks and worked to reduce or eliminate them throughout his operation.
I have no idea what he would charge for a weeks worth of tailing, following, helping (hands on experience) stocking of the sales building, etc. but I can assure you if you are willing to follow directions and get your hands out of your pockets you would learn an awful lot.

Again, thanks Robert for the time you afforded us this spring.
GAB & Mrs GAB 
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!