iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which of these 60-75cc saws would you buy?

Started by pdbrandt, September 10, 2018, 03:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Here's some food for thought from 1965.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

I don't use square ground chain because while it may cut faster when freshly sharpened, it also dulls faster. I'm cutting almost all hardwoods, low to the ground and not always in the cleanest of conditions (though not dirty enough to warrant using a semi-chisel chain, IMO). Round-ground - or in my case, round filed - chisel chains seem to match my needs well.

Also, I can hand-file round filed chain and get good results. I've never tried to do that on square-ground chain, but I understand it is more difficult. I don't think I'd have a prayer of doing it right if I didn't have my reading glasses with me, but I can still seem to get good results without my glasses on round ground chain (though it is easier if I have my glasses on).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 14, 2018, 08:52:13 PM
Ed is right the file holder guide does dull a cutting edge.
The trouble is the rib in the middle where the middle of the file rests on snags the cutting edge on both ends of the rib.
Here is a brand new Oregon file holder guide that I marked the underside of the rib with a black felt marker.
With just a few strokes of the file on the cutter both ends of the rib has a shiny wear mark on them from the cutting edge.

I stand corrected. I forgot all about that little rib. Mine does show a slight mark. I'll have to sharpen with out that guide and compare a before and after running the guide over it. I'll be interested how much it deforms the tooth. I know if my file is getting dull, I do tend to use more pressure (I know... replace the file, but I don't always have a spare with me in the woods.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

John, you ask "I'll be interested how much the rib deforms the tooth?"

Well think of rubbing the edge of your sharpest pocket knife on that hardened steel rib. :)
Or better yet a razor sharp wood chisel.

ehp

Its just me but I'm so picky even on my race chains I cut them free hand and NEVER lay a racker depth gauge on the tooth .

HolmenTree

Same here.
Back in the '80s I used to use a hard plastic raker gauge with a steel slotted plate in the center to file on.

The plastic body rested on the depth gauge and top of the cutting edge so no worries about hurting the cutting edge.
Lost it years ago, couldn't find another since. Made in Australia.

I've been free hand filing for so long now I just swipe the depth gauges a certain way with the flat file and don't bother checking it.
Long as my eyes hold out I"ll be good to go for a bit longer. :)

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2018, 08:11:54 AM
John, you ask "I'll be interested how much the rib deforms the tooth?"

Well think of rubbing the edge of your sharpest pocket knife on that hardened steel rib. :)
Or better yet a razor sharp wood chisel.
I have been thinking about that. I have not pulled out my gauge to actually check the angle, but if it's just a few degrees, it may not be deforming it much at all. Depending on the angle, it could be like "steeling" a knife after sharpening. Also, at least the corner would be somewhat protected if you are filing out toward the point, rather than back into it.

I'm also thinking several light swipes with the guide sliding along it is doing a whole lot less to the edge than even just a few cuts in a hard oak log.
BTW, I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative or disrespectful on this point. I recognize that both of you have a whole lot more experience at this than I do. I also have no interest in competing in chainsaw racing. I just enjoy thinking about this sort of thing when I have some "down time", and it's great to have people like you to run my thoughts by.

outinthewood

This has taken a turn down a side street well away from the original question ! As always a nice bit of background from Mr H. I first started sawing at the age of 14 on the farm and was introduced to a common guide made of alloy which was very simple and i'm sure not that accurate but it worked and as I mentioned it is only a guide ... I have a modern copy of that alloy guide which is now made of "white metal" or "pot metal" if you like so no danger of any damage to the plating on the cutter , however, I wil go out tmr and do a look but I don't remember catching the cutting edge with a guide to the extreme that I dulled the cutter ? Now a race chain or a square ground chain is a horse of another colour and in that vein of course a chain out of a box will be better after being re-filed since it has rubbed against it's self in the box ! I did try Square chain and can hand file it ok but just found it was to fine for my conditions. Chains are just like saws it's how "you" like them and get on with them ...Now at 55yrs old I still try anything to make my working day better and more productive. 

HolmenTree

All is good guys :) 
Yes we got a little side tracked but it did all start when OP  gpbrant  settled for the Redmax, thanked everyone and signed off. I myself got a bit carried away....all or nothing :-[

My apologies to everyone.

John Mc

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2018, 09:11:52 PM
Yes we got a little side tracked but it did all start when OP  gpbrant  settled for the Redmax, thanked everyone and signed off. I myself got a bit carried away....all or nothing :-[

No need to apologize, IMO. Sometimes the side tracks are as interesting as the original discussion.

lxskllr

Yup, conversations have a natural flow. They ebb and flow, diverge from the original topic, sometimes return, sometimes not. It's more natural and interesting. Few want to go through life writing technical manuals that stay precisely on topic, going to a new chapter when the conversation changes. It's easy enough to pull things back if needed. "Hey! About that Redmax. Should I get it in red, or purple paisley?"  :^D

HolmenTree

Quote from: John Mc on September 15, 2018, 09:16:06 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 15, 2018, 09:11:52 PM
Yes we got a little side tracked but it did all start when OP  gpbrant  settled for the Redmax, thanked everyone and signed off. I myself got a bit carried away....all or nothing :-[

No need to apologize, IMO. Sometimes the side tracks are as interesting as the original discussion.
Yup, we kept it going didn"t we, its not even close to February yet when derails really do go overboard :D

thecfarm

I learned something. :)
Most times it goes back to whatever was posted and if it don't..........
Well I guess all was answered than. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

I file the same on my work chain as a race chain , I donot use file holders or racker gauge but that's just me . I never had much to do with the husky 570 but did run and port the 575 , did build a few of those

Thank You Sponsors!