iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a small cabin

Started by Qweaver, November 28, 2006, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I gave up three days work on my cabin in WV to help a friend erect his cabin in Ohio.  Larry is a dealer and has built many log homes in the past but this is his first one for himself.  I was pretty impressed at how fast they go up.  The logs were poderosa pine and very dry and light.  He had the interior temporary frame done before we started but we got the logs up, loft log joists peeled , cut and up, windows and doors framed, rafters up and decked and the temporary frame torn down in just 3 days.   Wow!   He has all the right tools and plenty of practice so that helped with no wasted motion and they also don't pretend that they are building a watch...so the carpentry is a little "rougher" than what I would normally do. Here are some pics.  I didn't get any pictures of the 3rd day because we worked until dark and then deer hunted the next day but the roof is decked and doors and windows ready to go in.
BTW, the view from the front porch is just stunning.
Quinton

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tim L

Not being very bright, can you explain the temp framing ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Qweaver

Quote from: Tim L on November 28, 2006, 07:25:34 PM
Not being very bright, can you explain the temp framing ?
Larry builds the temporary framing to keep the logs in line as they go up and as a guide for all of the openings.  He often uses "volunteer" or inexperienced help (such as me) and this really made it easy to keep the logs straight. No attempt had to be made to keep the logs even at the openings and the logs could then be quickly cut to size at the openings with a chainsaw.  Larry's skill with the chain saw was pretty impressive also.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Tim L

Thanks,

it makes sense now .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Stephen1

Are they pre milled logs?  I notice someone peeling logs. looks nice. How was the deer hunting?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Qweaver

The logs were turned to 7" dia. and had a half moon cut on one side to match the log it was setting on.  Larry ordered enough pre notched and half logs so that we just put it together like Lincoln Logs. 
Larry and the other land owners do an excellent job of wildlife management so there are plenty of big, healthy deer. 

Here is a picture of a 10 pointer that Larry shot right near the cabin.  Several nice bucks were taked opening day and a real monster 13 point two days later.  I could only hunt one day and didn't get a shot.
Quinton

Thank You Sponsors!