iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire

Started by Peter Drouin, January 07, 2018, 08:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

One of NH bigger mills in Springfield. Durgin and Crowell. A 750'x300' planer mill building with 400,000 bf of W pine burned to the ground.
75 firefighters from 20 towns fought it and save the rest of the mill.
They're going to rebuild I think.
They cut 30 million BF a year.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 07, 2018, 08:07:59 AM

They cut 30 million BF a year.

If they keep trying, they'll catch MagicMan in a few years!  :D 8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

chevytaHOE5674

We lost a rather large hardwood sawmill on December 29th. Not sure how much they sawed but they had 50 employees in the mill and then another few in the woods logging. Night it burned the temps were -20 so all the fire fighting equipment kept freezing up which made things difficult. Mill was a total loss, who knows if they will rebuild.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Farm29

I can't image a fire at a mill like that seems impossible to control and put out with all the kindleing  and fuel around
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Chuck White

Peter, You'll have to cover for them until they get rebuilt!     ;D

Seriously though, I really hate hearing about losses to fire, especially homes!   :(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A fire can surely change your life.  :(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

The mill is in my town and the owners own the lot next to me.
That building was built 3 year later we had heavy snow and a large part of the roof fell in.
When they were cutting up the steel after it fell in the torches started a fire then.
That building is bad luck.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

This happened a few doors down the street from my house in southern NH:

The lady who lived there got out, but her dog didn't according to her daugther's post on facebook.

Several days later another house in my town burnt down and someone there didn't get out in time, but I don't know that for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

The mill also just built a new pellet plant last summer and they had a small fire in the saw dust dyer the week before the planer mill fire.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Those pellet plants are notorious for fires. The one in Ashland Maine has burned twice and another one in the central part of the state had a dust explosion that blew out a brick wall. We used to deal with "wood floor" in our shavings operation, that stuff is like powdered gasoline.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

40 or so years ago a disgruntled employee dumped some gasoline over the fence at the mill where I worked at about 2 AM one morning. Burned 5 acres of stickered redwood plus the corner of the building that housed the Newman 500 belt drive planer. I was the planerman so I got to rebuild it. Had to replace all the bearings and the top head.  That head cost $3,000 for a new one but got a used one for about $500. 

Fires can be very devastating. :(
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

richhiway

hope everyone can go back to work.
Check your smoke detectors and fire extinguishers!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

firefighter ontheside

Definitely difficult to get enough water on something like that to match the amount of btu's being given off.  Often the best thing we can do is protect the exposures, as they did with the rest of the mill.

Biggest fire like that I've been on was a huge pallet yard fire.  Thousands and thousands of pallets burning, plus a pile of mulched up old pallets that was about 60 feet high.  That was a long night.  First arriving trucks all melted their emergency lights.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Hackermatack

Saw that on the news, hope they rebuild mills are good to keep people of all education and skill levels employed. 25 years ago we had several mills in the area and they paid the rent for a lot of families. All but a couple small ones are gone now and most of the logs go to Canada and keep hard working Canadians employed.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

Cedarman

Sanders hardwood sawmill a few miles west of Corydon In burned about 4:00 AM a few weeks ago.  It opened in the 50's.  I think they sawed about 25,000' per day.  Owner says they will not rebuild.  No insurance either.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Peter Drouin

The mill is rebuilding and buying W Pine logs.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!