iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbors

Started by Peter Drouin, May 24, 2017, 06:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Hey, at least its an owl not a buzzard. :D Nice picture. We have lots of them around here and I love to hear them get into a conversation about dark. There will be one in every holler and they all make different and some strange calls. Even with as plentiful as they are we still very rarely see them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

The only neighbors we have this time of year that we see are the birds and squirrels we feed.
We have a red fox and several coyotes around but dont see them, only tracks.
Had this incident a couple of days ago.

Linda was in the kitchen and heard a thump coming from our deck door.
2 Northern Juncos had run into it and one was laying feet up on the deck and the other was head first in the snow.
I picked them up and the feet up one was kaput but the other had a heart beat.
I held it in my hand for a few minutes then we placed it on the warm spot in our laundry room floor with the laundry basket upside down over it.
Within about 20 minutes it was hopping around.
I slid the basket over to the door, raised it up and the critter flew out to our Norway maple in the front yard.
I think one must have been chasing the other and when the first one hit the door the chaser swerved enough to receive only a glancing blow.
A partly happy ending.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

Very rare to hear an owl around here. I like to hear them. Last one I saw was when I was showing Brenda the boundary lines,20 years ago. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

There are quite a few Barred Owls in this area, we hear them often.

The one bird sound I really miss is the Whippoorwill.  Back when I was a kid we would hear them all through the summer, now it's rare to hear them!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

We have lots of owls here and I love to hear them calling at dusk or sunrise. During the Spring they drive the gobblers crazy. I had not thought about whippoorwills not calling up here but we never hear them here. They are still common in N. Fla where I grew up and where my mom still lives. I remember as a kid we'd see cottontails at night but you never saw but one eye. If you saw two eyes it was almost always a whippoorwill. Their eye was about the same size and color as a rabbit but you would see two eyes which was never the case with a rabbit.

I once had a pet screech owl for a short while. He was a neat little bird and so rarely seen. He reminded me of a mini-me of a barred owl. About the same color only 6" tall.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

There are a lot fewer songbirds around here now. I said that to a guy the other day. [we where outside at the time]
Ok, show me one bird here now. We looked around no birds.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

We have lots of small songbirds visit us daily especially when there is snow. They come light on the banister then dip down and steal the dogs food out of my homemade gravity feeder under the front porch or light on my porch rocker then steal it directly from the open bag on the porch.  Mostly wrens, small woodpeckers, cardinals, nuthatches, etc. They are very bold to fly right next to us when we are out there.
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

Whippoorwill's were common when I was a boy but haven't heard one in years.
Chuck how about Whippoorwill corners near you?
Any there anymore?

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Also known as chuck-wills-widow, Chuck  :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

There used to be quite a few Whippoorwills around Whippoorwill Corners, but not anymore, but if there were, I'd be able to hear them from my place!

The Chuck-Wills-Widow  Looks a lot like the Whippoorwill, but it has a brown throat rather than black and it's larger than the Whippoorwill!  The Chuck-Wills-Widow has a softer call.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

I recorded this one in Florida ten years ago.
chuck-wills-widow - YouTube

Chuck White

Thanks for posting MH!

That "little" chirp at the beginning of their call is the difference between the Chuck-Wills-Widow and the Whippoorwill.

The Whippoorwill doesn't have that in their voice!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Thanks for posting the night voices, Mooseherder and Magicman!

Mooseherder

I often tell my wife we live in a bird sanctuary.  Yesterday a Hawk was eating his catch in our neighbors yard.  Looks like the Birds are heading north now from my observations.

GAB

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 04, 2019, 07:35:10 PM
I often tell my wife we live in a bird sanctuary.  Yesterday a Hawk was eating his catch in our neighbors yard.  Looks like the Birds are heading north now from my observations.
Tell the birds not to hurry as the prediction for thursday morning in Burlington, VT is 1° F.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

I can't tell if it is the same one, But, He / her is watching the red squirrels. Has anyone seen an owl eat one?

I have to go back to find the pixs, Be back in a while. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

This guy is here every day. He was in the tree all day. Customers coming and going, He was watching 2 piles of sunflower seeds. Went away at 4pm. 
I know there mating this time of year. 
I wish I had a mouse to give him.
Maybe I'll go to the pet store and get a bunch. :laugh: :laugh:
I bet in time I could get him to land on my arm and give him a mouse.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Here every day. 

Indians around here thought the Owls was good luck. After what I went through, I can take all the luck I can get.
He does look cool. Do you think?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

rjwoelk

I like him. But he probably doesn't give a hoot.
Good to see you back.
Missed your contribution.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WWright

Those are great pictures !

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WWright on March 10, 2019, 07:02:41 AM
Those are great pictures !

Glad you like them. I always have a camera with me  ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Skip

Sure is a fine looking bird !

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

I had always heard seeing an owl in daytime was supposed to be bad luck  (I think that was from an old Andy Griffith episode to make Ernest T Bass go back home). I have also heard if you heard one during the day the fish were supposed to be biting/not biting, depending upon who you were talking to. My old uncle sagely told me "It just means there is a hoot owl out there." An old black lady at our local lake once told me the owl was saying "Old folks go home, young folks stay here" which was precisely the cadence the owl was hooting out.

I'm impressed with your owl and would cultivate his presence. My aunt used to have a big old Red Tailed Hawk hanging out in the big live oak in her back yard down in Fla like your owl seems to be doing. He was very friendly around her. I wish I had either one hanging around my barn to keep the mice down. I want to see your picture when your owl ties up with your bear! That ought to be a sight to see.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!