iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kasco Blades for a new HM130

Started by nybhh, January 23, 2018, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nybhh

Hi all,
I'm getting ready to place an order for a Woodland Mills HM130 and from what I've been reading, the 4 and 7 degree blades seem to be preferable to the 10-degree Lenox Woodmaster blades available through Woodland Mills.  I'll be cutting mostly Eastern White Pine and Ash for the foreseeable future, although an occasional Hemlock, Maple and Black Cherry will make it into the mix.  Seems like the Kasco blades are highly rated and I like the idea of supporting a forum sponsor but the 1.25″ x 144″ x .042″ blades in 4-degree and 7-degrees do not appear to be available through their website.  This will be a hobby mill used on our acreage with wood harvested in future clearing projects and borer-killed ash. I'll be sending the blades out for sharpening, at least in the beginning.

1) Which blade angle(s) would you guys recommend for this mill/wood species?
2) How do I purchase them?
3) How many do you think I'll need to get started given I'll be sawing on weekends for personal projects with about 4,000 BF of pine needed for upcoming projects.

Much appreciated.

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

btulloh

I've got the HM126.  For most things I do, the 7 degree Kasco blades work well.  I need some 4 degree blades for dried oak and stuff, but haven't gotten any yet.  I ordered direct from Kasco, a box of 15 for about 225 delivered.  You havce to call them.  There are some suppliers who sell smaller quantities, but I don't know their names.  15 is a good number, unless you just want to try something out.

I got a box of the 10 degree Lennox when I bought the mill.  They work fine in soft wood, and I still use them some, but overall I find the 7's to be better.

There are other good blades around but I don't have any experience with them.  I'm sure there'll be a bunch more replies.  If I was doing it again I wouldn't order the Lennox blades with the mill.
HM126

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

nybhh

Thanks guys.  I'm going to reach out to Richard via PM. 
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

gmmills

I buy all my Kasco blades from Cutting Edge. You will be treated right.  8)
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

JB Griffin

Quote from: gmmills on January 23, 2018, 06:47:17 PM
  I buy all my Kasco blades from Cutting Edge. You will be treated right.  8)

X2 thumbs-up
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Thank You Sponsors!