iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wheelchair motor wiring for auto feed

Started by revid, June 10, 2016, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

I just bought a invacare wheelchair motor with controller and joystick for an autofeed setup on my bandsaw mill but dont know where all the plugins go.I uploaded some pics to my gallery hoping someone to have a look at

Kbeitz

I would take a look but I dont know how to get to your gallery ....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

thanks bud, your always there to help.Iam trying to figure out how to post a link to it. Try this
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7173

pineywoods

Where's the other motor? That controller positively will not function unless both motors are connected. The little 3 pin connector is for an external charger. The blue connectors go to 2 12 volt batteries to supply plus and minus 24 volts. If you hook up the batteries, the lights on the joystick module will blink error codes that will say Left (or right) motor fault and brake fault.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

revid

I thought I read about guys on here running just one motor. As for the connectors there are also two black ones with + and - signs on it so I thought that might go to batteries. The blue ones are the problem.

theres another blue connector coming from control box that I dont know where it goes.

Kbeitz

I use just one motor. But I use this controler to do that.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Kbeitz did you get a chance to look at pics in my gallery?

fishfighter

Quote from: revid on June 11, 2016, 04:41:20 AM

I tried responding last night, but had a bad connection here. :(

Anyway, as others pointed out, you will have to have both motors hooked up unless to install what Kbeitz is showing you.

I have two of them for my set up, but yet to install them.

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on June 11, 2016, 04:41:20 AM

Yep I looked. But with this picture of your wireing I cant tell much...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Ok will try to upload better pics this evening. Pretty sure black plugs go to battery but don't kno where blue ones would go

revid

Might have to go hunting for another motor I guess

Kbeitz

Most of the time he motor has 4 wires. Two of them would work the brakes on the back of the motor.
Just maybe your blue wires might be brake wires. I dont see any brakes on your motor.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Slingshot

The motor and controller I used on the LM Mark 4 Norwood came from
an Invacare Chair. The controller looks different than the one you have
but mine worked with only one motor connected. The wires for the other
motor just hung free. Either set of motor wires worked the motor depending
on how I leaned the joystick or held it in center which would have controlled
both motors if attached. I cut the wires to the brake and connected the black
and red wires to the battery through the controller.
  Here is a picture of the motor I still have (sawmill was sold) and pictures of
the set up on the sawmill. I don't have a picture of the connections on the mill.

revid

Got the motor hooked to control box via"right" labelled plugin and then control box to joystick via respective plugin. There's a "left" labelled plugin and a blue three slotted plugin coming out of control box that has no where to plugin to. Will upload some more pics

fishfighter

That last plug might be to go to the batteries. Don't know for sure.

Slingshot

revid.....I have another wheelchair with connections that look to be similar to yours. It is an Action Power 900.... Will your 2 blue plugs connect together? Here are a couple pictures
showing connections on this one. Your two black plugs with red and black wires
look like these and they each connect to a separate 12 volt battery. They
connect together downstream to make 24 volt.

___________________________-

revid

thanks guys, when I first looked at the blue plugins I didnt think they would go together but when Slingshot posted his pics I had to go take another look and they do.Sorry about that fellers. I'll just cut the black ones going to batteries and put my own battery hookup.Slingshot our motor setup works ok with just one motor?? Some guys here says it will never work,I guess it may depend on type or Brand of wheelchairs .Will try to hook up later with one motor and see how it goes.Again thanks for all the help

Slingshot

The joystick is similar to yours also...anything more you may want me to check  I will be glad to do so..
A couple more pictures...

______________________---

fishfighter

Going back and looking at your first picture, your joystick looks just like mine.

Model number, if that helps.

pineywoods

There may be some controllers that might work with just one motor. It's a safety check thing. On power-up the controller normally goes through a check out procedure, where it checks both motors and both brakes. Also makes sure the joystick is in neutral. Think about it, this is a wheelchair. Powering up with one motor or brake disabled or joystick in full power position could result in some violent maneuvers, possibly tossing occupant on the floor.
All controlled by an on-board programable micro processor ie computer..
Dynamic Controls, the manufacturer of that controller has a very nice web site, where you can down load an installation manual with everything you ever wanted to know...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

revid

Yes Fishfighter yours is thee same as mine.The number on mine is MK4R2GJS

fishfighter

Hilltop366

Quote from: pineywoods on June 12, 2016, 03:08:41 PM

Could someone with programming knowhow remove or modify the check for both motors and brakes part of the startup so one motor could be used with the chair control?

pineywoods

Quote from: Hilltop366 on June 13, 2016, 09:05:01 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on June 12, 2016, 03:08:41 PM

Could someone with programming knowhow remove or modify the check for both motors and brakes part of the startup so one motor could be used with the chair control?

Nope, the control program is more or less permanent. One thing that might work would be to wire a couple of light bulbs in place of one motor and brake. I haven't tried  this but I will when I get another one in the shop...

fishfighter

Piney, one day I have to drive up and see your operation. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!