iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ya take the safety course,.....

Started by moosehunter, February 26, 2007, 03:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

........ya wear your gear and
WHAM

I was cutting an ash tree, about 18" dbh. Cut the notch, double checked it for direction, did my plunge cut leaving a small amount of holding wood. I was sure it was leaning in the right direction. I double checked my escape route and cut the holding wood. I turned and went about 20 feet and stopped to see how it was falling. I heard a snap from above and looked up in time to see a dead branch coming directly at my head. I had enough time to move my head about six inches to the left causing a glancing blow instead of a direct hit. The limb hit my helmet right where the ear protector attatches. I got two small scratches in my ear and a lot of swelling and brusing.
I should not have stopped to watch it fall, I would have been out of the way if I took two more steps!
Be carefull out there! I was very lucky.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

ellmoe

Close call! Good thing you had the brains to protect your brains! 8) I had an employee at the mill that got slammed by a large chunk of wood that was spit out of a mulcher. He was knocked to the ground and his hardhat was cracked, but not the his head. You couldn't pay him to not wear his helmet after that.

Glad your OK!

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Kevin

Where did the branch come from?
Did it break off the tree you were cutting, another tree or was it a dead hanger?

moosehunter

The branch broke off the tree I was cutting. The tree I was cutting was between two other trees, so in 20-20 hind-sight I am sure one of the other trees broke off this branch and tossed it back in my direction.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!