iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Chest of Drawers

Started by WDH, May 15, 2018, 08:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

A man has to build things for his daughters.  Many, many things. 

Daughter #3 needed a chest-of-drawers.  I had already made her some bedside tables, a 3-drawer bachelor chest, a desk, and a bookcase all out of walnut, so I needed to make the chest-of-drawers to match :). Here are some pics.  The desk:

The 3-drawer bachelor chest:

The bedside tables:

The bookcase:

So, now a chest-of-drawers :).  Here is the carcass:

The completed 6-drawer chest-of-drawers:

Now she needs a dresser and mirror :) :).  And she wants a walnut platform bed with drawers in the bottom of it :) :)

I have been accused for having a proclivity for walnut.  There is a good reason.  A man needs a big stash of walnut.  A Very Big Stash of Walnut if he has a bunch of daughters ::).

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rjwoelk

Might fine work. Yes you always know when they see or call you up and go. Daaaady!! One know your going to get asked for something. :D  Love them dearly.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

FLPINERAT

Gorgeous!

My downfall as well...WALNUT.

Makes the best turkey pot calls as well as a few other things :D

DPatton

You are a true craftsman. All are very beautiful.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

The daughters are lucky to have you. With walnut furniture like that,the furniture will be worth more than the house. ;D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

reelman65

What did you use for the secondary wood on the back and drawers etc.?
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

WDH

Red maple on some, yellow poplar on some. 

And no, Marcell, I will not adopt you
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

WDH

bags

You sure do bring out the best in that walnut--- makes a fella feel good just look'in at it.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

LeeB

A man might need to encourage said daughters to marry a man with woodworking skills.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

So far two out of three are married, and there are naught woodworking skills :)

Dakota

Beautiful pieces.  Do you mark them so future generations will know who built them?
Dave Rinker

21incher

Wow, great craftsmanship. Lucky daughters.   Now we know why you hoard all the highly valuable Walnut. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bwstout

Beautiful love the Walnut. No what you mean about them daughters :D have 4 of them and not one of them married a man that can work with wood other than a tooth pick ;D 

My girls get mostly pecan cedar spalted  sycamore, walnut I kind of hoard it. ;D
home built mill

WV Sawmiller

Good looking projects. Yes, daughters do things like that to you and granddaughters can sneak up on you too.

I had a local doctor bought some walnut to make a rocking chair then brought his future SIL over to show him my stocks and he bought him several pieces for bowl turning and such. Seemed like the doc was cultivating a woodworker for a SIL.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishpharmer

Those walnut trees are lucky they found you Danny.  You uncovered and enhanced their beauty in such useful way that will forever be cherished as heirloom furniture by your family. Certainly it will be enjoyed for all future generations.  You have a gift Danny and very lucky daughters. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Quote from: Dakota on May 17, 2018, 07:32:02 AM
Beautiful pieces.  Do you mark them so future generations will know who built them?
Yes, they are branded with my name and company name.  Not dated, just branded.

caveman

WDH, Your daughters should treasure the furniture that you build them.  Your work is admirable.  I hope that when I retire I can be as ambitious and productive as you are.  I don't think I will show my three daughters the wooden gifts that you bestow on yours, they may have unrealistic expectations of their cumbersome, curmudgeonly old man.

Fishpharmer hit the mark when he mentioned that those walnut trees were lucky they found you.   
Caveman

WDH

Maybe a few more walnut trees can just might find their way here.  I will leave the light on. 

justallan1

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 17, 2018, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Dakota on May 17, 2018, 07:32:02 AM
Beautiful pieces.  Do you mark them so future generations will know who built them?
Yes, they are branded with my name and company name.  Not dated, just branded.
You really should date them.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

That'll teach you for running that saw blade through all that nice wood. They'll never let that lumber sit too long. ;D

Nice looking pieces. Some fine work there.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!