iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Beaver tail???

Started by D Hagens, May 22, 2011, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Hey so the other day as I was driving I kinda sorta nailed a beaver, poor sucker  :(, I went back today to take a closer look at this poor creature! Man this is the biggest I ever saw!
This is Darla typing now and not the hubby, I am not the smartest when it comes to uploading pics on here but I did manage to get a couple of the tail loaded...I wanted to keep the tail as a gift to my hubby ;D...so I hacked the puppy off and brought it home :D.

So who can tell me how to cure this thing ?? and how long I should let it sit???? ;D ;D

Right now it is hanging in a tree in a bag to keep the dog away from it...I think he wants to roll on it,, :D...sigh!

Thank you all for listening :)

Tom

You are definitely a unique individual, Darla.  I don't know how to preserve the Beaver tail, but your "hubby" should be right proud to have you as a partner.  :)

D Hagens

Why thank you Tom , I do enjoy coming here and reading the posts, Hubby and I make it a nightly thing we sit on the couch together and just go thru the posts.

Hopefully someone will know soon before this sucker starts to smell...lol the dog eyeballs it all day long...and the crows I am sure will be circling pretty soon ;D

Tom

Maybe you need to put it in the freezer.  :D :D

trapper

skin it and get it taned then make a pouch for him out of it.  The tail meat is supposed to be a delecy but I found it to be too fatty and grisly for my taste.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

IT has to be skinned. The beaver tail has meat and fat in it so that has to be removed and the tail skin can then be preserved as trapper said.. Do you have any local taxidermists?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

im not certain, but i think you will have to split the tail in order to skin it, i say that because of the way it is shaped.

i have never skinned a beaver tail. and of all the beavertails that we have eaten it was the muscle that is directly in front of that tail where it connects to the body.

we always nailed the tails to the barn wall with the cut downward, they would drip grease and dry out over time.

D Hagens

Ok thank you all, I really like the pouch idea that sounds pretty neat...I am a bit hesitant on cutting it open..as i kinda want to keep it a whole piece, I would also have to go and get some good rawhide or some sort of leather to tie it back up,,,,,,soooooo, I was thinking what if i grinded down a spoon with the sides pretty sharp and just kinda scooped it out like icecream....or maybe i am just a tad tired! ;D

I kinda wish I took the Pelt but I don't think the people driving by could  have stomached me slicing a beaver open on the side of the road?

Heck the hubby was asking me this morning, what was I thinking? 8)

Only of u dear!

Tom

The Internet never ceases to amaze me.  I was sitting here thinking that I would try to scoop the stuff out of the tail and turn it inside out as I succeeded.  I would rub it with borax and salt.  Then I would turn it back, right side out, and fill it with borax.  I might put some baking soda on it to hold down the smell.

Then I thought, "I wonder if anyone has done this before?"

I googled [lmgtfy]tanning a beaver tail[/lmgtfy] and, low and behold, there are pages of forum posts and stuff on it.  Who'd-a thunk? :D

WDH

I have tanned a number if hides, but never a beaver tail  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I got mine tanned a time or two. :-\

D Hagens

Hey baby nice road kill 8) 8) 8) 8) Maybe next time plow down a moose, least we could eat that :D :D
Shoulda hit two of them then you could make me some boots 8) 8)

D Hagens

Quote from: Jeff on May 23, 2011, 05:41:12 AM
IT has to be skinned. The beaver tail has meat and fat in it so that has to be removed and the tail skin can then be preserved as trapper said.. Do you have any local taxidermists?

She is my local taxidermist :D :D Next she'll be murdering the rabbits that run around here and stuffing them two :D :D

sawguy21

I wondered what had happened to him. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

But spare the coyotes  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D Hagens

Nope we would never touch the coyotes, they're our friends and we love to listen to them at night :) Nothing like sitting outside with a bottle of wine, fros croaking and the coyotes howling in the bush :)

mometal77

I will take your coyotes you can have all the racoons here you want.... vicious and pesky little critters.  Already killed my favorite cat.

On the six acres I have one of the biggest beaver I have ever seen been trying to get pictures of the thing.  His tail is a big bigger than the one you have.  I have named him flash he sure does get along quite well when he hears me coming. 

Do these guys like salt licks?
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

iffy

doubtful on the salt licks. Cut some thumb sized saplings, something like willow, tie them in a bundle and anchor them to the bank close to the water.

D Hagens

Oh it's Darla, thanks to Jeff I can add the pics of the beaver that I nailed :D Thanks for fixing the uploader so that my pics would work :)
Here's him with no tail, the axe in the van worked great 8)

Awww.....he almost looks happy and asleep but nope, he's a dead dude RIP  :D 8)

treefarmer87

we have ALOT of them on the farm. i love them until they start messing with the spillway drain on our 6 acre lake. i caught a little one when i was 12, but i turned him loose. 
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!