iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey all of you farmers!

Started by old3dogg, August 21, 2005, 10:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3dogg

Can I freeze corn on the cobb? I can get it for $2 a dozen and was thinking about freezing some for this winter. Thanks in advance!
Mike.

GareyD

Here is a link to the way I like to do corn...on and off the cob ;D

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcornonthecob.htm
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

old3dogg

Thanks for the link Garey. Good site! Added it to my Favorites.

gary

We are trying to freeze corn by just putting it in our vacum sealer without blanching this year. We don't know how well this will work so we only frooze a few ears this way. We are going to wait a month and pull a bag out and try it. We only blanche our corn for 3 minutes. We also freeze green beans the same way.

woodbowl

Old dog,
    We did something different this year with corn!  I thought my neighbor was crazy! He said, just put it in a bag shuck and all with out blanching? He said it tast fresh all year. Well...........we'll see.  Our corn got ready last month so I'm pulling out ears to eat now. Pop them in the micro wave for a few minutes, while still in the shuck. So far, it still taste fresh.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

old3dogg

Ive thought about freezing with out blanching. Maybe I will try a few ears and see how it works.
My favorite way to have corn on the cob is to roast it on a wood fire, husk and all!
I knew that I came to the right place to ask this question.

JimBuis

They sell corn on the cob in the freezer section of the major grocery stores.  If the city slickers can do it, you can do it.  You can freeze almost any food that is going to be cooked when it comes out of the freezer.  You can also freeze peaches whole, peel and all; then use them in the winter for baking pies or other desserts.
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Buzz-sawyer

The author said,"I don't recommend freezing it on the cob: it takes up too much space in the freezer, and gets too mushy."
You find this to be the case?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

old3dogg

I just found corn for $1.50 a dozen 8). The ears are kid of small but Im going to try freezing some whole sale. Guess I will know soon enough. I also had to get out the pot and boil some for dinner! ;D

SwampDonkey

Folks have tried it here a few years ago and never cared for it. All ya can do is try it for yourself, never know. ;D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodbowl

It does take up a lot of space in the freezer to put it up on the cobb. I don't know about the getting mushy part .........yet.  I do know one thing though, the way to make cream corn taste fresh ALL YEAR LONG is: put 1 cup corn to 2 cups water and blanch it in the microwave before putting in the freezer. This is a space taker too, but it is worth it to us. It is the water that keeps the freshness in. I have a feeling that in the future I'm going to try freezing water and corn in the shuck. 
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Frank_Pender

Gee, I feel very fortunate in haveing to pay $.50 a dozen.    :P
Frank Pender

Ernie

We just chuck it in the freezer, husks and all.  When we want to eat it, we throw it on the barbie straight from the freezer, the husks tend to burn a bit :) on the outside but it tastes great ;D ;D.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

Frank, the local corn growers here want $6/dozen because they keep it in coolers. Corn laying in the heat for several hours is tasteless, it goes to starch. This is why I don't buy it in the super market, it's not kept cool. The best way to get it is to U-pick from the field. But, corn isn't something that I'de get too excited over.

Locally hydrocooled corn

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodbowl

That's what I pay Frank, but I have to pull it myself....................Alright, Yall' help me figure something here. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here goes:  I figured a bushell of corn several years ago for the farmers profit (in our area) was $2.50-$3.00 a bushell. An old timer told me a while back that it takes about 100 good ears to make a bushell. Is that right???  If I pay him .50 a dozen and it takes 8.3 dozon to make a bushell, that brings his profit to $4.15 per bushell. That's a better deal for him...........if he don't mind you in his corn patch that is. ;D

Haytrader

The time the first article talked about for blanching is about how long I cook corn for. If the water is boiling when you put it in anyway.

My wife had an older lady tell her to try cooking fresh ears (if you only need one or two and use Miss microwave... ;)) wrapped in wax paper.  I had used saran wrap before. DanG if it isn't a little better. Hope some of you try it and give your opinion.

As long as we are talkin corn, how many cut it off the ear prior to eating?
I have two methods of putting butter on mine.
One is to butter a slice of bread and roll the corn in it holding it like a hotdog bun. After buttering my corn, this leaves a good peice of hot buttered bread... ;D
The other is to roll it in the stick of butter.
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

Any corn on the cob that is left over gets cut off the cob and fried for the next meal.  I don't care much for left over corn-on-the-cob nor frozen either,  but I do love fresh cob corn and fried corn ;D

We had a bumper onion crop one time so we hung up the yellow ones and froze the white ones.  I had heard you couldn't do that,  but we froze them just as they came from the garden (washed).  Used them for cooking and salads by shaving the desired amount from the whole frozen onions and putting what we didn't need back in the freezer, without thawing them out.  Couldn't tell them from fresh.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Patty

Last year we had a bumper crop of sweet corn, so we just husked it and froze it in the ear. Throughout the winter whenever Norm needed fresh corn for his stews and vegetable mixes he just pulled out a few ears and cut the corn off. They were absolutely delicious, sweet and tastey....much better than the frozen corn you buy at the store.  smiley_smug01
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Haytrader

I'll bet Norms stew is delicious, just as the meal he fixed for us...

;D

And, the corn on the cob that you girls found, went well with the new potatoes fresh from the garden.....

;D

So, tell me Patty, do you guys eat as well when you don't have company?

;)
Haytrader

Patty

Merle you are just being polite...any stranger would just have to take one look at either of us to know that we both truley enjoy a good meal every single day!                  smiley_chef_hat                 smiley_bouncing

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Kirk_Allen

$2 a dozen ??? $1.50 a dozen  ???

Got dirt? 

I would plant a $.99 bag of sweet corn in our back yard in the suburbs and have more sweet corn that I knew what to do with.  Its so cheap to plant and will grow in most soil I cant imagine paying for it.  I guess we are spoiled here on the farm.  We planted 1 bag of seeds and we are slam out of room for storing any more corn.  My wife is letting the rest dry on the stalk and she will make sweet corn- corn bread.  Now you want to tast some fine Corn Bread  8) 8)

DanG

Kirk, tell her to not grind all of it fine enough for corn meal, and you'll have so sweet corn GRITS! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Seed is $15/lb here for gardeners. But, I know farmers can get seed cheeper by the bag at the AG Mart.

Don P

QuoteMy wife is letting the rest dry on the stalk and she will make sweet corn- corn bread.  Now you want to tast some fine Corn Bread 

I was just getting ready to write in 'bout that, we tried it a couple years ago, cut and dried it off the cob, that's some good eatin, now I'll have to try and dry it the easy way 8)

Fla._Deadheader

For those that freeze on the cob, when you start cooking the ears, add a small can of condensed milk to the water. It will "Freshen" the taste very well.

Learned that on a boat in the Bahamas, from an ex-chef  ;) ;) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!