iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Millable ash logs for firewood pricing

Started by DanMc, May 09, 2017, 08:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanMc

There's a logger cutting on the land behind my home in Holden, MA.  I just spoke with him.  Because we are in the bug zone for the emerald ash borer, he is not able to take any ash off the site.  So he is willing to sell me nice straight millable ash logs at firewood pricing.  I'm looking forward to milling these into beams and lumber to build a small post and beam barn.  I'm not a post and beam purist, so I'm good with using steel plates for the joints rather than beating my brains out cutting mortise and tenons in hard ash. 

So he just quoted me about 35 millable ash logs for $500.  That comes out to about $14/log.  Seems to be a great price.  What do you guys think?

If I seal the ends of the logs, how long can l wait till I mill them? 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

sealark37

I don't think that you can get the logs much cheaper than that.  If you seal the ends, and keep the logs off the ground, I would think that they would keep for a year or more.   Regards, Clark

PC-Urban-Sawyer

If he can't take the ash logs off the site, how are you going to legally get them off site???

Just wondering...

Herb

DanMc

My property is also in the bug zone, so it's all good.  But if he puts the logs on the road, he will have to go outside since the other side of the street is not in the bug zone. 

My original post was a bit confusing because I said that our cabin is located in NH, so it could be inferred that I was planning to haul these up there.  The logs have to stay in the bug zone in Holden. 
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

ChugiakTinkerer

Sounds like a win-win to me.  For the barn you might check out the T-Rex connectors from Connecticut Post & Beam
Woodland Mills HM130

GAB

Quote from: DanMc on May 09, 2017, 08:38:38 AM
There's a logger cutting on the land behind my home in Holden, MA.  I just spoke with him.  Because we are in the bug zone for the emerald ash borer, he is not able to take any ash off the site.  So he is willing to sell me nice straight millable ash logs at firewood pricing.  I'm looking forward to milling these into beams and lumber to build a small post and beam barn.  I'm not a post and beam purist, so I'm good with using steel plates for the joints rather than beating my brains out cutting mortise and tenons in hard ash. 

So he just quoted me about 35 millable ash logs for $500.  That comes out to about $14/log.  Seems to be a great price.  What do you guys think?

If I seal the ends of the logs, how long can l wait till I mill them?

What would you estimate the average log board footage is?
That is a factor that I would like to have prior to making a comment.
If it were me, I'd most likely mill the largest rectangle and let them start drying and recut and resquare them later to what you need.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Stoneyacrefarm

In my neck of the woods. (Western mass)
We can get 200-250 a cord for firewood.
I was told years ago there is 2 cord of wood per thousand.
So the price he is giving you is reasonable enough.
He doesn't have to split it and deliver it.
If the logs are in the larger side I think you would do ok.
I have about 6000 feet of ash sawed up for flooring to put in my cabin I am building.
It is air dried and snickered.
Almost ready to be sent to the mill to be made into flooring.
It looks really nice.
If the ash bore beetle keeps up the pace it is going.
Having ash boards on hand may be a good thing for you to ha e in inventory.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

DanMc

The pricing for the log-length firewood is $100/cord if he can just drop it there on the site.  He said that 5 cords would be about 35 logs.

Need to get some anchorseal. 

What would be the typical price be for millable ash logs? 
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

JRWoodchuck

If they are firewood logs aren't they dry? If they are should you still seal the ends?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

DanMc

These logs are still live trees!  He wasn't planning on cutting them since he can't take the logs out of the bug zone.  So it's a win-win for both of us.  He gets to make a profit from trees that are otherwise worthless to him and I get a good deal. 

He said that there's talk of allowing some logs to move out of the bug zone next year, but he's planning on finishing up at this site this year!!
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!