iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log hauling

Started by eddie, January 24, 2010, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poor farmer/logger

Just replied over there Dave. How long ya been over here?? Yes it's a 20'

We've got a 1500 IH that we used to haul with too. If you guys thing that load was scarey you should've seen the ol IH.lol.. Had it riged up a few years ago though for 8' logs and it worked out quite well. We had a bunk at the back on a trip that we could flip down when we got home. Just lift up the hoist and drive away. Never unloaded so fast.lol..

I can assure you nobody was in danger with that load. Never lost a log yet in all the years we've been hauling. Those straps are rated for 15,000 a piece if I remeber corectly.

Jack Pine doesn't quite weigh 4k per cord. Some where between 3 and 4 though. It had been cut for about 6 months as well. I was just saying what the trailer was rated for and not what we had loaded.

When we haul the skidder on this trailer we pull it with the volvo loader. Just feel a little safer looking down on the skidder rather then way up.lol..

Ryan

bill m

It doesn't matter what the straps are rated for one strap or chain is not enough. Law says one tie down for every five feet with a minimum of two.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

beenthere

Maybe not enough for the law, but maybe enough to hold the load.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Howdy

Okiemak has a 26' gooseneck for sale on the FOR SALE Fourm...

Bed of trailer is 26' long plus gooseneck so overall length is over 30'. Three axels, low boy tires with good tread. Removable uprights, solid construction. Trailer only sits about 30" off ground so it has a low center of gravity.
Weak point of this trailer is that all three axels need brake work done. I have been told that parts are readily available. One spring is broken, I have the replacement part just havent put it on yet.
I have set the price for a quick sale at $1950.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39636.0.html

He is in MI so might be worth contacting him. 
Good luck.
Howdy

Howdy

sorry Oakiemac for messing up you handle so bad, but at least I was trying to get the word out!

Shetland Sheepdog

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 25, 2010, 10:16:14 AM
Just replied over there Dave. How long ya been over here?? Yes it's a 20'
Ryan

Just came over last week! Brian (CC) put me on to this forum, and I'm likin' it! Now alls I gotta do is figger out the photo thing! ??? ::)
Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

poor farmer/logger

CC got me over here too. Can send ya some instructions on how i did it if ya want. Not sure it's the right way but hey it's working.lol..

bill m

Quote from: beenthere on January 25, 2010, 02:58:11 PM
Maybe not enough for the law, but maybe enough to hold the load.
There's the key word - maybe. What happens when it breaks?

Ironwood

BillM,
My truck is legal load as shown (excepting the standards are a little low, should be a foot or two higher).  I scaled it at my nieghbors digital scale. I showed this pic to see the straps. Here we need 3 straps for every 10 feet.
  I have a family of three children in a minivan tooling around (we all have loved one's on the road right?) I would not do anything to endanger my family or yours  ;)

When hauling I usually have three straps and most times two to three G-70 binders and chains as well (five to six for my trailer, and more on the truck). One of my suppliers rolls his eyes when I take and hour or more to strap my loads.  The staps satisfy the law (and they are very visual) ,and the chains satisfy me. 
          Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bill m

My single axle log truck ( under cdl ) has a short 14 ft. bed with 4 ft tall stakes. I have four 4 in. winch straps mounted and use three on every load. Better safe than sorry.

Brian_Rhoad

Actually here in PA you need 3 straps or chains per tier of logs. I've been told that chains have to be transport grade and each link and hooks must be marked as transport with the grade.

240b

Just had this conversation w/ the boss last night. Reminded her not to follow log trucks and do not be in the lane next to one at the stop light.  Few years ago local guy rolled his truck and the logs went into the cabin of a passing car killing a young kid. pretty unnessary imo.

Ironwood

When instructed by the Trooper that it is 3 chains/straps per 10', I'll follow his directive. When hauling 14'ers I'll use 4 just to be sure (and like I said many times it is 5-6 for 12' logs 3 straps, and 2-3 chains). What if your tier is 20'?  AND, Oh yeah, the straps and chains must touch every log on the top layer, so they need to be organized and domed to touch all.

Also, the G-70 is the transport marker on the hook, the chain is rated at G-70 or better (ie 80-110). Standards must also be "captive" meaning not able to just slide out of the pocket, the keeper can be pins or bolts etc....

I have heard of DOT guys using calipers to check for chain stretch.

Trailer hitch, no more than 6" of slack in the chains, and hooks facing forward and down. Clips on all mine. Usually I figure that no bolt is as strong as the chain, so I plasma cut a "+" in the A frame to slip the chain through and bolt on the back side, this also allows me to adjust the slack if it is too long or short.

Let's just say I am constanly being schooled and looking for correct info out there. Most cops dont know the full extent of the technical stuff.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rocky_Ranger

Ya'll don't get your panties all waded up over different State laws - remember this guy is in Arkansas.  He can license a three axle gooseneck for about $28.00/year or so and pull it with a fully licensed 3/4 ton truck (pickup truck @~$30.00/year).  Carry farm liability insurance and be good to go hauling logs, hay or aXX.  How many straps does it take?  Enough to keep the load on.  Once you go CDL, you'll get under differing rules and vehicle licenses will roll up in the thousands in this state (Arkansas).
RETIRED!

MikeON

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Shetland Sheepdog

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 25, 2010, 04:56:23 PM
CC got me over here too. Can send ya some instructions on how i did it if ya want. Not sure it's the right way but hey it's working.lol..

Ryan,
You can email me direct with instructions dn SEA GER at MY fairpoint DOT net All lower Case with no spaces.
Thanks, Dave
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

Tom

Those old Military Trucks don't even squat.  They just hunker down and roll on.  :D

bill m

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on January 25, 2010, 07:58:15 PM
Ya'll don't get your panties all waded up over different State laws - remember this guy is in Arkansas.  He can license a three axle gooseneck for about $28.00/year or so and pull it with a fully licensed 3/4 ton truck (pickup truck @~$30.00/year).  Carry farm liability insurance and be good to go hauling logs, hay or aXX.  How many straps does it take?  Enough to keep the load on.  Once you go CDL, you'll get under differing rules and vehicle licenses will roll up in the thousands in this state (Arkansas).
These are not state laws they are DOT regulations for all states. Any vehicle over 10,000 gvw falls under dot regulations cdl or no cdl.

Ironwood

With random enforcement throughout the country.  ::)

Ironwood

Bobus2003

Last February the Guy that Hauls my logs was Hit head-on by a Ford F450. His Peterbilt Was loaded along with his pup. When the Ford hit him he went into the ditch and tipped the truck over. The load shifted Forward pushing the headache rack into the back of the Cab before the Chains broke and scattered the Logs in the ditch and Highway. The load was legally bound by DOT Spec. The tractor with a 10' Spead between Uprights had 2 chains as did the pup. So even Legally Bound Loads arn't 100% fail Proof.. He and his chihuahua Roxy Both made it out with only Bumps and Bruises, The Guy that Hit him Died instantly.

Ironwood

Too many forces and multiplying factors at work to think for a moment that loads will hold. I dont believe that is the goal of DOT regs, it would be ridiculesly hard to strap a load to anticipate all permeatations of accidents. IMHO

Ironwood

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on January 25, 2010, 09:01:28 PM
Those old Military Trucks don't even squat.  They just hunker down and roll on.  :D

http://www.govliquidation.com/
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rocky_Ranger

In Arkansas, farm tags are exempt from DOT - that's what I'm saying, the trailer tags with a farm taggted truck. 
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2009/R/Amendments/SB20-S1.pdf
RETIRED!

woodmills1

In new hampshire commercial wood operations are not allowed to run ag plates.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bill m

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on January 26, 2010, 08:52:24 AM
In Arkansas, farm tags are exempt from DOT - that's what I'm saying, the trailer tags with a farm taggted truck. 
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2009/R/Amendments/SB20-S1.pdf
You may be exempt from state dot but not federal dot.

Thank You Sponsors!