iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack vibration

Started by ridge logger, January 30, 2010, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridge logger

I've got a 225 timberjack  that i just recently change the bearings in the short drive shaft between the transmission and the drive shaft to the transfer case. When I got it put back together it vibrates when you turn it hard left or right it dosen't do it when going straight or turning slightly,also it didn't do it before I change the bearings I line the u joints up in a straight line so it wouldn't bind but it does. If anyone has had this problem or suggestion Iwould gladly appreciate it.

bushmechanic

Sounds like you didn't phaze your yokes correctly when you reassembled the driveline.You have to do that on both sides of that steady bearing assembly.Make sure that you tightened the bolts in that bearing assy and also if the slip joint on the yokes is dry of grease this will also give you a chatter when turning.Properly phazed yokes should look like this  ]--[ you can line up the  u-joints and still not have them correct.I wish I could draw you a picture.

ridge logger

Thanks for the info bushmaster, I think Iv'e got it timed together but it might be a spline off. Also does the ubolts on the yolks have to be the same on both ends or can they be 90 degree out. when it binds up it shakes the transfer case. I checked the bolts that hold the transfer case and they are tight ,so I'm sure it was something I done when I put it back together.

Ed_K

i had the same problem,i was one spline off on the shafts that slide back together. both ujoints looked like they were lined up but moving fast in third gear it felt like the machine was going to break in half  :o .
Ed K

bushmechanic

Yeah now your catching on if you had the driveshaft on the workbench and you were looking down at it and you could see the snap ring on one yoke then you should see the other snap ring on the other yoke,both of them are pointing up.I you could see the snap ring on one and just the u-joint cap on the other one then you have it 90 degrees out,and sometimes that will work but it works better when lined up properly.Also sometimes guy's will weld a driveshaft together and knock it completely out of whack,then you have to keep trying different combinations to line it up.Ed_K is right one spline can make a world of difference.When I assemble drivelines I even put the greese nipples in line just for the ease of greesing,when you see one then there are two more in the same line,well that's just silly me. 

240b

The factory service manual has a page which has the spec. An old TJ dealer such as chawick-baross or lyons which kept there manuals should be able to help I had copied the page for my old 230. good luck

elast

Quickest way to chech for driveshaft phase is when shaft is out on bench put shaft down on bench so that round part of yoke that U-Joint cap goes through is flat on bench. If both ends of shaft are flat on bench then shaft is in phase, if they are not slide shaft apart and line up untill shaft is laying flat on both ends. U-Joint should look like a cross on each end.

Thank You Sponsors!