iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salvage sale split

Started by JUDGE1162, January 31, 2010, 02:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDGE1162

I have several acres of hard maple timber that has been killed or at least very badly damaged  by tent caterpillars, a local logger who was working on the adjacent property where they had the same issue has offered to do a salvage harvest of these trees, he is offering 33.3% for me on the split saying while some of the trees will be timber the rest will be firewood and to pay for his labor and fuel the split need to be 33.3% compared to a normal 50/50 split that I would have on a normal logging job.

Looking to see if these seem right or is this spilt a bit low. Is it worth bring in a forester for this type of job (low profit, remove the dead or dying trees)
Every time I have some moment on a seashore, or in the mountains, or sometimes in a quiet forest, I think this is why the environment has to be preserved.

WH_Conley

Welcome Judge1162, don't know where you are from, might want to update your profile. Here in Northeastern Kentucky, low grade usually runs from 33 to 40 percent. I would think at least a quick walk through by a forester would be beneficial.
Bill

Ron Scott

Yes, I would have a certified forester look at your timber before committing to any harvest, especially on shares. Tent caterpillars usually do not kill your timber requiring a salvage harvest. Have the forester selectively mark the timber to be harvested and get payment for the timber before it is cut.

We are working such a property now where the logger told the landowner that his timber was diseased and dying and all needed to be cut. This was not the case and the landowner lost at least $30,000 + in timber for which he was never paid for. The landowner's attorney has filed a legal action against the logger who has been kicked off the property forever. I'm sure that the landowner will never be paid for the lost timber value. The logger has declared bankruptcy.
~Ron

Jeff

Yea, that tent worm story sounds fishy.  First I've never saw tent worms in hard maples, but I know they can occur in them.  I have saw wild cherries defoliated year after year by them and never die.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Here's some info on the forest tent caterpillar:

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/insects-disease/foresttent.htm

They can kill maple, but it usually takes several years of defoliation.  Its worse if you thin the stand, then have an outbreak.  Are you sure the cycle is past?  Are you sure the trees are dead?  If nothing else, you need a second opinion on the ground. 

Splits are a rough way to sell timber.  You don't know what he took, and you are at his mercy for payment. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

It might be a good time for you to consider a little part-time firewood business of your own.   Hey!  I have an idea.  Have you ever heard of a "Pick yer own" firewood lot?   I wonder if you could manage an acre for people to split their own wood, without litigation?   You could cut the trees that you wanted, drag them to a bucking place, buck them and sell the bucked wood to the customers.  They could split it or haul it off.  You could make the price worth it to you.  Just make piles and put a price on the pile.

OK. I'm daydreaming again.  :)

arborman

Hi there, I think I would get a second opinion(forester), I am on a second year defoliation on my maple stand and hoping it is at the end of it's cycle. In my opinion you probably would'nt see damage to the tree until several cycles.

Coon

Sounds like a job for a forester.  I am sure there will be definately be some wood that needs to go and I am sure he could point you in the right direction. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bobus2003

Quote from: Tom on January 31, 2010, 03:40:05 PM
It might be a good time for you to consider a little part-time firewood business of your own.   Hey!  I have an idea.  Have you ever heard of a "Pick yer own" firewood lot?   I wonder if you could manage an acre for people to split their own wood, without litigation?   You could cut the trees that you wanted, drag them to a bucking place, buck them and sell the bucked wood to the customers.  They could split it or haul it off.  You could make the price worth it to you.  Just make piles and put a price on the pile.

OK. I'm daydreaming again.  :)

I have actually done this a few times, Bucked the Logs to 16.5' or 8.5' and piled it up.. Sold it as is where is, take as much as you want you want a Semi load, you arrange the truck and pay the trucker.. Works well if your not expecting it too move very fast

Mark K

I think you might want to talk to a forester before going any farther. We've had tent worm up here heavy the past 3 or 4 years mainly effecting our cherry as Jeff said. I've never seen tent worm kill maple off, but we do have alot of maple borer where I am cutting now. That sounds kinda low on your cut at 33.3%. I cut low grade logs last summer on a job that had alot of residual damage last summer from a logger that cut it 12 years ago and high-graded it. I cut that on 50/50 and still made a decent profit and the landowner was happy. We also split the firewood down the middle.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!