`Hoodlum
`Road Runner
`The Ripper
`Money Pit
`Late For Dinner
`Big Ben

- dog & pup - a neighbors Mack
- the old warhorse -  another neighbors International

I recall seeing quite a few different names when I was a scaler at the mill.  The only one that I recall, and northwoods1 is probably familiar with, is "The Hairlip Duck", which naturally calls out "Mac, Mac" instead of "Quack, quack".

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

sawguy21

I remember 'Old Snort' an International with a 6-53. Never any question who was coming down the hill above the house. Jim is retired now and kinda hard of hearing. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Amish Horse Logging. With the recent heavy snows and the delay of their contracted producer getting back to work after the firearm deer season and the recent heavy snows, the Amish brought their team of Belgem work horses in to the job to do the skidding in the interim and to keep things moving in the woods.

They are also waiting for the access road to get all plowed out for trucking. They are working 1 1/2 miles back in from a seasonal access road and one of their truckers refuses to haul until conditions get better. Hopefully all will get back to normal soon. Schirmer hardwood sale, 12/10.

~Ron

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Wow Ron,

I always enjoy your pictures but seeing those two animals working is great don't see much of that around here.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

northwoods1

Those are great pictures, hope you get a chance to take some more  :)

We have lots of Amish up around these parts and it never ceases to amaze me how expert they are with horses. I was married to a large animal veterinarian for many years and got a chance to visit many farms it was something I always looked forward too :)

timberfaller390

paul, how are your standards attached to your flatbed?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

weisyboy

fiat AD 10 dozer, 110hp, 12 ton

fiat 415c crawler, 45hp

fiat 480 4wd tractor, 55hp.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

paul case

Quote from: timberfaller390 on December 31, 2010, 10:41:08 PM
paul, how are your standards attached to your flatbed?
just bolted down thru the 1/8'' steel floor with 2- 1/2'' bolts each bunk.those bunks are 4'' tube uprights sandwiched at the bottom by 2 pieces of 3/8''x4x4 angle iron. they would almost stand alone. i always bind loads of logs all the way to the truck frame. i made the bunks this way so i could drop them off and use the truck to pull a gooseneck trailer. i thought i might have trouble with the bolt holes ripping out but i have hauled logs on that truck that way for 10 years or more and no troubles. the average load of 10' logs on my truck scales out about 500 to 600 ft. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

timberfaller390

I have basically the same setup. My bunks look like yours but fit down in the stake pockets.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

mad murdock

Thanks Ron for posting the pics of the Amish boys skidding with the team.  Do they fell and buck the timber as well?  Do they do that with axe and misery whip? or do they use mechanized help (chainsaw)?  When I was 13, I worked with a logger who skidded with a horse, myabe I mused on that in another post.  That horse could drag out about 6 cord of wood a day, working him for 6 hours or so, giving him breaks every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  Good hayburners are a real asset in the woods. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

northwoods1

Quote from: mad murdock on January 01, 2011, 11:29:33 PM
Thanks Ron for posting the pics of the Amish boys skidding with the team.  Do they fell and buck the timber as well?  Do they do that with axe and misery whip? or do they use mechanized help (chainsaw)?  When I was 13, I worked with a logger who skidded with a horse, myabe I mused on that in another post.  That horse could drag out about 6 cord of wood a day, working him for 6 hours or so, giving him breaks every 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  Good hayburners are a real asset in the woods. 

I'd like to see more pics of anyone logging with horses I find that really interesting. There are a few people still doing it around these parts. Down the road from me just a little ways the U.S. forest service had a black of jackpine they wanted clear cut. But the understory was beautiful hardwood, mostly all oak. I don't know why that stuff comes up so good under jackpine must be the right amount of shade. But they specified it had to be horse logged to save the understory and  did they ever do a nice job. That is the only time I have ever heard of a federal job requiring horse logging but it was the perfect thing in that situation :)

Ron Scott

The Amish horse loggers delimb the tree and then horse skid it tree length to the landing where they buck it up with a chainsaw. They then sort and deck the sawlogs and pulpwood on the landing with a their skid steer. They use mechanized equipment for work but personal travel is by horse unless thy can hitch a vehicle ride with someone, which they are good at. :D

They also want to get back to mechanized skidding and forwarding again as they are complaining that the horse skidding is too slow. ;) I don't mind though as long as they do good work.

The Amish are using the 576 XP Husky chainsaw on this job.

~Ron

donny hochstetler

is it common practice for that area, to snake logs out with cable skidders ,or is the prefered method forwarders, I always thought a small skidder, with a good operator would be the best ,{other than horses}  I also realise that the cable skidder, is only as good as its operator, I have been watching some U tube clips, of skidder operators its amazing some of these people call themselves operators   :o

Ron Scott

Most of our selective hardwood thinnings are done with small forwarders with a cable skidder allowed to pull tree lengths off hill sides and from wet areas where the forwarders can't access. These are cut to length jobs where the product is cut at the stump.

Cable and grapple skidders are allowed on clear cut jobs and pine row thinnings with selection between rows. It all depends upon the objectives of the harvest and the operating plan what tree removal method is allowed is permitted.

"Poor operators" are not allowed to continue working on any job, they are soon replaced. ;)
~Ron

donny hochstetler

thanks ron , around here it is very hilly .to downright rough,  all cable skidding there are people that can"t even stand to watch us work,    :o        goodday

NB sawdust

Thought I would post a few pics of what we have been up to around here .This is some of the equipment at work . Two man operation ,myself and the owner .We geared up the patu harvester on a 161 kubota excavator, and I must say it is a great rig! Small but mighty....beats a power saw for production in medium to small timber... and it's warm in there!!!Harvested this nice stand of spruce in the pics below... dropped every tree and ctl with no issue at all. The forwarder is/was a c4 can car/tree farmer that has been converted to a single bunk forwarder.More to come later......

Dave Shepard

Very nice! I'm a big fan of the Kubota compact excavators. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Scott

I just sold a job yesterday of mixed aspen, hardwoods, and pine which has the objectives to improve the area for deer and grouse. This a selective harvest of the hardwoods and pine with total removal of the aspen which covers a good part of the area.

This job will be a highly mechanized job allowing tree length skidding with grapples, hot saw felling, slasher, chipping, etc.

I'll post some photos of activities in a few weeks once the job gets going.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Amish Cutter looks over the situation before falling the marked red oak tree. Schirmer hardwood thinning, 11/10.

He's taken his escape route and watches as the tree falls.

~Ron

Bobus2003

Quote from: NB sawdust on January 03, 2011, 10:28:49 PM
Thought I would post a few pics of what we have been up to around here .This is some of the equipment at work . Two man operation ,myself and the owner .We geared up the patu harvester on a 161 kubota excavator, and I must say it is a great rig! Small but mighty....beats a power saw for production in medium to small timber... and it's warm in there!!!Harvested this nice stand of spruce in the pics below... dropped every tree and ctl with no issue at all. The forwarder is/was a c4 can car/tree farmer that has been converted to a single bunk forwarder.More to come later......

Couldn't agree more on the Patu head on a small machine.. I love my Patu 410SH on my 1600 Link Belt

Ron Scott

Aspen Pulpwood. Awaiting pick up by the Iron Mule forwarder. Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The aspen pulpwood is picked up by the Iron Mule forwarder for transport to the landing. Schirmer hardwood sale, 11/10.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!