iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut or walnot?

Started by Busysawyer, July 09, 2018, 08:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Is this an English walnut. Neighbor came over and say a he's got this really big nice walnut tree he just wants gone.  So I goes over and take a look. It's not the walnut that I'm familiar with but it sure does have walnuts growing on it. Is it worth cutting?  It's not that big and doesn't look worth the time to me. Also he's talking to me like he is doing me a huge favor by letting me cut this tree and clean up the mess. I think he's going to have to pay someone to be rid of it.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

thecfarm

I say do it!!!
Than when someone offers you another yard tree to  cut down   clean up you will say no. ;D 
Takes me a while in the woods to clean up one tree. I can't imagine how long it would take on a lawn. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Busysawyer

Wdh, thecfarm.  What kind of walnut is it? Will it have the same or similar wood to the walnut I'm used to seeing?

thecfarm

There is a walnut tree about 5 minutes from where I live. That is all I know about walnut.  ;D  But I do know it takes A LOT of time to clean up a tree. And I have only done it in the woods,not on a lawn.
From what I have seen posted on here about yard trees,cut it down,clean it up,but the tree owner expects it to look like it was never cut. And they want it done for nothing because the tree is worth a lot of money.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberking

Nothing from those images says "walnut" to me.

btulloh

HM126

TKehl

Outside of my area, but I'm going to guess Butternut.  Related to Black Walnut.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Busysawyer

The leaves and bark look like what Google shows as English walnut to me.  The nuts look like walnut when I cut it open. It smells like walnut. I don't know what butternut looks like.

firefighter ontheside

If you google images of English walnut, they look just like that.....leaves and the nuts.  I'd say offer to cut it down, take away the big parts and stack the rest for him.  I will not take away a whole tree for free, no matter how valuable the lumber may be.  Too much work for me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Looks like english walnut grafted to black walnut root stock.  You can see the graft near the base of the trunk.

English walnut has a terminal leaflet.  The leaf in the pic has a terminal leaflet.  Black walnut does not have a terminal leaflet.  The terminal leaflet aborts soon after the leaf opens from the bud. 

Note from the pic of english walnut in this link that the leaf has a terminal leaflet.
Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet

Note from the pic of american black walnut that the terminal leaflet is missing.

Butternut also has a terminal leaflet.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Also the butternut nuts would not be smooth. Mine are all wrinkled (But that is becoming a problem with more than my yard trees :D).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TKehl

I agree with Danny, especially seeing the new picture showing the graft.  

FYI, getting the graft section could yield some interesting contrast.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

lxskllr

I wish I had some English walnut. That's one of my favorite nuts to eat. Instead, I have a bunch of black walnut. The nuts are too strong for my tastes, and miserable to get open. I let the squirrels have them all.

Al_Smith

Quote from: lxskllr on July 11, 2018, 09:28:35 PM
 . I let the squirrels have them all.
Squirrels it seems are natures little tree planters .Although it's been said they remember where they hid 90 percent of the nuts a few sprout .Like in my raised bed garden and flower plots .For some reason a hickory growing with my tomatoes seems out of place .

curved-wood

A very simple math to know if it's worth cuting a tree near houses: take what's a specialized company will charge to cut it and substract the price of the wood on the market. EX: if somebody charge $1000 to remove the tree  and the tree worth $600 you are $400 out of budget! You have to take in account that removing a tree around houses is a very risky business ;  is it your expertise ? do you have the proper equipment ?is the stump has to be remove? May be you are better off to let the neighbour take care of putting the tree down, you buy the logs and he clean up the branches.

Ianab

That's the thing. 

Do you do a ~$1000 tree removal / tidy up, for a ~$200 log. 

Now I've cut down trees for a friend in return for the wood. But it wasn't a technical removal or a manicured lawn, and she let's me use her 60hp Kubota. Brush into a pile to burn, limbs lopped into firewood that I can sell, and I get the sawlogs.

I'd be hesitant about doing a "free" tree removal if there is a lot of work involved, or ANY hazards. 

Maybe tell him to get a tree service to just lay the tree down, which is the risky part. Then you will help him clean up the mess and take the log. A couple of low risk hours limbing and dragging brush for a $200 log isn't such a bad deal. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Busysawyer

He ended up calling me back and said to cut what I wanted and leave the mess. I was in and out of there in an hour and a half. Most of that time was spent chatting with him. It took me longer to unload and load the bobcat than the work did.  Cut it most the way through and pushed it over with the bobcat. Cut it 17ft long just above the crotch and loaded it up. Easy peasy 

Busysawyer

Thank You Sponsors!