iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another pine flooring thread...

Started by shinnlinger, January 01, 2016, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

I really like the way there are still some saw marks left in the wood.

The wall painting is so cool!!! Your daughter really has talent. And so do you.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

JimXJ2000

Great floors and great walls.  Fun painting on walls in always nice.  One of my sons wanted a "forest at sunset on the walls, with stars and a nebula on the ceiling".    I'll find a picture when life slows down and share. 

For the building inspector side of things.  We are finishing our timber frame addition in NH, but we started with an old barn and not new documented frame.   We did visit with the inspector before putting any money down on our plans.  He had a few questions and concerns mostly focused on connecting the frame posts to the foundation.  We did a modern poured concrete foundation and basement with a stick framed first floor deck.  I think that helped that we weren't trying to stand a two story living space on a stone foundation.

He came out and checked like a normal project.  We tried as much as possible to meet code for stairs, railings, emergency exit windowns, etc to make his job easier.  Overall he was very easy to work with, but talking ahead of time to address the inspectors concerns helped.   

Magicman

I think that the entire project if fantastic, but I wonder why I love the warm look of Pine flooring??   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Because....   

• Easy to grow
  • Easy to saw

• Easy to dry
    • Easy to install

• Easy to sand
      • Easy to finish

• And it looks really good once done!!!!
        • ;D :D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

I haven't been able to make up my mind what floor to put in the Billarosa great-room. This is now in 1st place. I like it!! 8) 8)

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

About the finish. how many coats do you put down, are you sanding or using steel wool in between and do you continue to thin the tongue oil on successive coats?

shinnlinger

At first I thinned 25% and put on one coat but then the guy I buy my oil from mentioned the manufactures site.  http://www.realmilkpaint.com/products/oils/tung-oil-wood-finishes/#howtouse
I have since flooded 50-50 every 40 minutes.  2-3 coats.  They say to look at puddling vs # of coats. 

I could sand between coats as it does raise the grain slightly but since the floor has texture I choose to not bother.   I told the girls to stay off it for a week but it fully cures in a month.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

frwinks

Quote from: shinnlinger on January 02, 2016, 11:05:31 PM

that there is just magical!!   Something about turning a house into a home comes to mind  smiley_clapping

littlewiz88

I'm curious how the finish on your floor is holding up after a year? We will be starting our timber frame this spring and plan on doing a pine floor. I have been looking at doing an oil finish and so far I'm sold as far as looks and ease of repair vs poly, an important factor at our house with 2 hounds, cats, dirtbikes, skis, etc. We aren't worried about dents etc, we prefer the "lived in and used" look compared to eat off the floor perfection.

Weekend_Sawyer

richhiway

very nice. I did a similar job on my gun room. Love a rustic pine plank floor.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

OlJarhead

Quote from: shinnlinger on January 18, 2016, 06:06:14 PM
For this room, I started with 60 grit and worked it both ways and then followed up with 80.  It went faster but you can still see saw marks combined with almost too smooth, so I don't know if I like it as much.

But overall I am pleased...

My daughter snuck in and painted some trees on her walls between coats...

Awesome!  I have been procrastinating over my floor for a few years now and seeing this thread has motivated me.  I have the pine ready and was just debating whether I would T&G it or not? and what to coat it with.  Looks like you went flat, tight together with biscuits on the end and that's it?  Then just used Tongue oil?

Last question:  How much Tongue Oil?  I'm looking on the site but can't seem to see something that says 1 gallon = so many square feet...but I'll keep looking!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

QuoteHow to Calculate How Much Tung Oil for a Hardwood Floor

Here is a way to calculate how much Pure Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent you may need to finish the floor. This formula will assume you are cutting the oil one to one with solvent. Each gallon of oil will cover approximately 400 square feet undiluted. By diluting the oil one to one with solvent, it will cover 800 square feet. In our example we will assume you have 500 square feet to cover.

Answered my question once I did a little reading ;)

OlJarhead

I am also curious how the nailed down floor is doing.  With standard galvies I'd be worried about movement. 

starmac

I have always liked the look of a rustic pine floor, BUT I dearly love what your daughter did with the wall, she is one talented lady.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

shinnlinger

Hello,

I used ring shanks and spiral nails on my floor and am still well pleased with the movement, out lack thereof, of the gaps.  Yes they open up some in the winter and close up some in the summer, but they have been very stable, as air dried white pine is known for.  My fallback position was to cram hemp rope in the gaps if they got too big but that hasn't happened.  Wall painting still there as well....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!