iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol M8 portable chainsaw mill on the way

Started by ibwaldo, March 12, 2018, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibwaldo

This is my first post so please excuse me if I misuse any terms!  My soon to be wife and I are starting a new hobby and I'm looking for any advice, tips, or tricks that you may have for us.  I'm in my mid forties and looking to have a self sustaining hobby and possibly a small income producer once I'm retired.  That gives me plenty of time to hone my skills and most importantly have a hobby that my wife and I can do together.  I'm hoping it keeps us out of trouble  :D  She is by far the more creative one and is really interested in resin top tables and similar types of unique furniture. We are in central Oklahoma and have access to lots of cedar, oak, maple, and a few others native to this region.  

I have ordered a Logosol M8 chainsaw mill and will use a Stihl MS 661 C-M with a 25 inch bar and rip chain.  I'm wondering if anyone here has used one or something similar that can share some advice or tips.  I realize this is a very small mill compared to others on here, but it should provide us all we need for our intended usage.  We are also acquiring all of the tools to get started in woodworking as well, so we're essentially starting from scratch.

Please feel free to offer any advice on what we are hoping will mostly be a fun hobby.  Like I said before, we are starting from scratch so I'm open to any feedback!  Do I need to start some sort of kiln to dry my lumber faster?  Thanks for any feedback.
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M with 20" bar
  MS 461 with 25" and 36" bar
  MS 661 C-M with 25" bar, this lives in the mill

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF. Have you ever used or even watched a chainsaw mill like you are buying at work? What was your reasons for buying the one you chose? That might help us guesstimate whether your expectation will be realistic.

BTW - that 25" bar Stihl advertises is 24" if you buy from any other dealer. I don't know how Sthil computes their bar length. I have one like that on my MS441 - 84 links. Good bar and I like it for felling and bucking the larger trees I fell.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

teed

Congratulations to a great sawmill. Have a Logosol Farmers sawmill, and I think it's one of the best sawmills for a beginner. I also have a Woodland band sawmill and soon one more band sawmill. So I'm a little collector of sawmills :)
I'm also a certified Logosol sawmill instructor, so if you're wondering something, just ask.

If you're looking for inspiration, you can watch my youtube channel Project of the day - YouTube

A couple of videos from my channel
Logosol Farmers M8 with Speed Saw E5 - YouTube

Test the new chainsaw carriage - YouTube
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

ibwaldo

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 12, 2018, 10:41:27 PM
 Welcome to the FF. Have you ever used or even watched a chainsaw mill like you are buying at work? What was your reasons for buying the one you chose? That might help us guesstimate whether your expectation will be realistic.

BTW - that 25" bar Stihl advertises is 24" if you buy from any other dealer. I don't know how Sthil computes their bar length. I have one like that on my MS441 - 84 links. Good bar and I like it for felling and bucking the larger trees I fell.

Good luck and keep us informed.
I am completely new to any kind of milling and have never been around one to see it in operation...  The reason I went with the Logosol M8 is it appears to be intuitive to use based on the videos I've seen on YouTube and provide some quality results with out too much frustration.  I was looking for something that was not too expensive to start with and also to make sure I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing.  I want the ability to mill my own lumber for making various furniture as a hobby and possibly grow it into a supplemental income for my retirement in 15 years or so.  I knew going in that I was getting something that is intended for the hobbyist and I'm okay with that.  If my wife and I enjoy this as much as I think we will, we can always upgrade later. We are starting from scratch, so this just seemed like a good starting point.
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M with 20" bar

ibwaldo

Quote from: teed on March 13, 2018, 04:47:30 AM
Congratulations to a great sawmill. Have a Logosol Farmers sawmill, and I think it's one of the best sawmills for a beginner. I also have a Woodland band sawmill and soon one more band sawmill. So I'm a little collector of sawmills :)
I'm also a certified Logosol sawmill instructor, so if you're wondering something, just ask.

If you're looking for inspiration, you can watch my youtube channel Project of the day - YouTube

A couple of videos from my channel
Logosol Farmers M8 with Speed Saw E5 - YouTube

Test the new chainsaw carriage - YouTube
I found your YouTube channel a few days ago and have been watching and enjoying your videos, thanks and keep up the good work!
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M with 20" bar

ToddsPoint

Great machine!  I prefer to stand when chainsaw milling vs. crawling on the ground with an Alaskan.  Your back will thank you for choosing Logosol.

My brother and I each bought an M7 from a guy in Rock Hill, SC in 2012.  He had both machines hooked together and used them to mill 30' beams for a building.

I make gunstocks and I bought mine to mill walnut crotches and not much else.  Crotches I get are salvaged and never long so I converted my unit to a woodworkers mill.  The WM has only one 9' beam instead of two and was offered by Logosol a few years ago.  Not sure if they still make it.  I can mill 8' max instead of 16'.  It's easy enough to convert back.

I made a plank that spans the elevators and I can screw a short log any size to it and mill it.  I use a piece of drilled angle iron at each end to secure the log.

I run a Stihl 660 with 28" and 36" bars.  You need to use chain that cuts a 1/4" kerf so that it is in sync with the 1/4" adjustments on the Logosol.  You will get 2 adaptor nuts/bolts to mount your Stihl on the carriage.  Order 2 more nuts right away as I had one break.

When I started sawing the tip of my bar was slightly below center.  I had to put a .030 shim on the mounting bolt closest to the rail to bring it up to square.

Forum member Richiway has some good M7 videos.

Gary

Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

ibwaldo

Quote from: ToddsPoint on March 14, 2018, 06:49:45 AM
Great machine!  I prefer to stand when chainsaw milling vs. crawling on the ground with an Alaskan.  Your back will thank you for choosing Logosol.

My brother and I each bought an M7 from a guy in Rock Hill, SC in 2012.  He had both machines hooked together and used them to mill 30' beams for a building.

I make gunstocks and I bought mine to mill walnut crotches and not much else.  Crotches I get are salvaged and never long so I converted my unit to a woodworkers mill.  The WM has only one 9' beam instead of two and was offered by Logosol a few years ago.  Not sure if they still make it.  I can mill 8' max instead of 16'.  It's easy enough to convert back.

I made a plank that spans the elevators and I can screw a short log any size to it and mill it.  I use a piece of drilled angle iron at each end to secure the log.

I run a Stihl 660 with 28" and 36" bars.  You need to use chain that cuts a 1/4" kerf so that it is in sync with the 1/4" adjustments on the Logosol.  You will get 2 adaptor nuts/bolts to mount your Stihl on the carriage.  Order 2 more nuts right away as I had one break.

When I started sawing the tip of my bar was slightly below center.  I had to put a .030 shim on the mounting bolt closest to the rail to bring it up to square.

Forum member Richiway has some good M7 videos.

Gary

Thank you for the tips you mentioned.  I have to say that is a nice setup and some really gorgeous looking wood you milled!
Logosol M8 chainsaw mill
Stihl chainsaws:
  MS 261 C-M with 20" bar

Southside

Welcome to the Forum,

As to your kiln question, based on your statement about making furniture and such then yes a kiln is a very good idea.  You could probably do just fine with a solar kiln that you build yourself, just get a moisture meter so you know for sure where things are at moisture wise and you will be very happy with the final product you turn out.  Enjoy making sawdust and share plenty of photos and such.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

massmanute

...You need to use chain that cuts a 1/4" kerf so that it is in sync with the 1/4" adjustments on the Logosol...

What chain do you use with the 1/4" kerf?

teed

Quote from: massmanute on November 17, 2018, 02:41:37 AM
...You need to use chain that cuts a 1/4" kerf so that it is in sync with the 1/4" adjustments on the Logosol...

I use stihl pmx chain and I think it works great
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

massmanute

Quote from: teed on November 17, 2018, 03:55:49 AM
Quote from: massmanute on November 17, 2018, 02:41:37 AM

I use stihl pmx chain and I think it works great
Thanks.

samandothers

Welcome to the Forum!  I look forward to reading about your progress.

Also now I know were Waldo is!

richhiway

Look at my posts an youtube videos. I have had a M7 for a few years and love it.
A sharp chain is your best friend. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!