iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Freezing cold milling tips

Started by Peter Drouin, January 26, 2016, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andries

Hey, that's not 'oh crap', that's my little known 'opening-snow cut'.
:D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Andries,

I heard the "Bad clothes" comment in Norway in 2008. We had a day care center next to our office and I saw 3-4 y/o kids out playing in weather like in your pictures and commented to our secretary and she said same thing. Said if the kids did not get out and play in weather like that they would never get to play.

Prices were high over there but we did stock up on good snow suits for the grandkids and I also brought back snow racers (sits up about 1' high, 2 skis on back and one on front connected to steering wheel). The girls love for me to tow them behind my 4 wheeler. Make a chain of up to 3 and sometimes play crack the whip with tail end Charlie. They don't care if they take a tumble in the snow occasionally and love our outings.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2016, 08:26:47 AM
:o  I see that and think "oh crap".
I look and think "nice clean log!"
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 28, 2016, 10:18:50 AM

Andries,

I heard the "Bad clothes" comment in Norway in 2008. We had a day care center next to our office and I saw 3-4 y/o kids out playing in weather like in your pictures and commented to our secretary and she said same thing. Said if the kids did not get out and play in weather like that they would never get to play.

Prices were high over there but we did stock up on good snow suits for the grandkids and I also brought back snow racers (sits up about 1' high, 2 skis on back and one on front connected to steering wheel). The girls love for me to tow them behind my 4 wheeler. Make a chain of up to 3 and sometimes play crack the whip with tail end Charlie. They don't care if they take a tumble in the snow occasionally and love our outings.

Looks like fun . Sure is a wonderful picture .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

beenthere

Fun as long as going slow. But can get out of hand real quick, especially if "crack the whip" becomes part of the fun.  been there, done that... and very lucky no one was hurt bad.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on January 28, 2016, 12:55:50 PM
:-X    ::)

:D :D :D :D :D I like to [crack the whip] beenthere  :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Don't know what happened with my picture. Just showed up as a little black box so I opened post, modified, deleted and put it back. Looks like it is coming through fine now.

Actually this was last year. Hope to repeat Saturday if the weather holds. Still just a little too deep for 4 wheeler but should be right Saturday morning. May be gone that afternoon and certainly by Sunday afternoon. The girls love it and I have fun too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

I know I would have fun. And than some!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

Warning! If you're going to use a snowblower to move sawdust, first have a good look at the air filter! It might not have one.

I just finished rebuilding a 1981 Ariens ST1032 and I discovered it doesn't have an air filter. There is a shroud that covers both the exhaust pipe and the carburetor inlet. Instead of an air filter, there is a pipe that rises above the carb inlet to just shy of the shroud.

Apparently the theory is that the exhaust pipe heats the air inside the shroud and the carburetor pulls the heated air through the inlet pipe. This is fine when you're blowing snow because any snow that gets suspended in the air is going to melt inside the shroud. Not true of sawdust, though.

My manual shows an optional air filter. Apparently you could remove the blower on this machine and replace it with a lawnmower for summer use.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Wonder if there is any potential for fire especially inside like the barn video above.

petefrom bearswamp

BRRR Glad Im here in FL
My sawdust pile gets a lot of bark and edging pieces in it so Im afraid that Id be shearing too many auger pins.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Percy

This time last year ..... I was shoveling  big time....uuuugggghhhh
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WV Sawmiller

Percy,

That's not shoveling - that's tunneling.

We got another light dusting now supposed to be 52 tomorrow and 61 on Sunday so I think the end is in sight for us. Hope you guys are as fortunate.
Howard Green

Brucer

So that's where all our snow went last year. Percy stole it.

Not going to happen this year, friend. We're getting it and we're keeping it.

;D ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!