iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Limbs

Started by 123maxbars, January 30, 2016, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have never sawed limbs into lumber and don't plan on it. But I have a customer who has a large oak tree that he wants me to come saw.  he has two pretty large limbs (24in diam) that fork out of the main section of the tree.  I told him about the problems with limb wood.  He wants to take the lumber from the limbs straight from the mill and use it as barn siding and in his words "nail the sh*t out of it."  Would anyone have any thoughts on this working for siding if he does this method after I saw it?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Saw hourly rate with a minimum charge and guarantee nothing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe that word will describe his boards. 

I do exactly like MM describes on all my jobs and it's in the sawing agreement .

I'd probably say let's see how they do when  I saw them. 

And I'd probably ask him if he knows  that red oak has little rot resistance, the ends of the boards near the ground might rot if they can't dry out quickly.

And if I were cutting them wide like 12" I'd probably also ask if he knows he probably ought to nail them maybe twice in in the middle and keep the ends down with battens rather than nailing them like he describes.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Den-Den

If the limbs grew almost vertical, he might be OK.  Sometimes oak will split into two main limbs (trunks?) that grow almost straight.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Thank You Sponsors!