iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mini skidder

Started by logman81, December 30, 2010, 08:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Any one heard or seen a Gafner mini skidder? I saw on ebay some one selling a couple of brochures of Gafner mini skidders model 4000 I have never heard of these. I know they made the Iron mules but didn't know they made skidders too. just wondering if any one knew about them.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Know one has heard or seen a gafner mini skidder?

Reddog

Heard of them, but all I ever saw was Mules. So not much help :-\

RynSmith

Bobus2003

Found some Information on them.. Pretty much sounds like a Mix and match of parts.. Using Ford/Massy Tractor parts..

Ron Scott

Gafner briefly produced a mini skidder beginning in 1968, but it was never as successful as their Iron Mule forwarder which is still at work in various areas.
~Ron

logman81

Thanks for info on the mini skidders. Why were they not as successful as the mules? To small?

Reddog

Quote from: logman81 on January 03, 2011, 12:20:52 PM
Why were they not as successful as the mules? To small?

At the time most of the logging being done was cut to length operations be it pulp or saw logs. They where using Crawlers and farm tractors to haul Drays. So the Mule's where a great replacement to those.

I just think for Gafner there wasn't much market for the mini where he sold equipment so they just went with what sold for them.
Until the advent and use of the feller buncher in the early 70's, cable and grapple skidders hauling into slashers where not the norm here in the great lakes region.

Ron may be able to add more on the timing of things.

Thank You Sponsors!