iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pettibone 501 forwarder any good?

Started by logman81, June 14, 2012, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Most operations in hardwood thinnings around here have a forwarder and a cable machine.  The ONLY thing the cable machine does is pull wood off slopes that the forwarder can't operate on.  We routinely put out twelve to eighteen cords in selective hardwood cuts some days more depending on the timber.  That's with a guy hand falling and CTLing at the stump and an operator on the forwarder.  We don't short stack anything by hand.  I'd rather re-pin and bush my loader than wear out a guys back.  A good loader operator can short stack his own wood with the machine just about as fast as a man with a pick.  Most selective hardwood sales around here specify that everything must be processed to length at the stump and nothing longer than 17' can be skidded to minimize damage to the residual timber.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

Well I'm atleast going to take a look at it on my way up to my camp in madawaska maine in a few weeks. Yes I did see both mules they are priced considerably more than the pettibone. :o The price seems pretty fair if all works like it should. Will also have to consider trucking to here as well.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ed_K

It didn't take me long to learn to sort with the skidder,what get me is out of 5 bid sheets 4 say forwarder only.they just don't want logs dragging thru the woods now.
Ed K

logman81

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Ed_K on June 18, 2012, 07:04:58 PMwhat get me is out of 5 bid sheets 4 say forwarder only.they just don't want logs dragging thru the woods now.

As a buyer of logs and veneer I HATE buying wood that has been skidded unless its a winter job. Sawlogs it isn't sooo bad but for veneer its very crucial that I can see the entire butt of the log (not caked in dirt from skidding), and I also like to be able to see all the crevasses, cracks, bumps, bruises, etc in the bark (which is hard if its been dragged through the dirt). One missed defect can turn a veneer log (sometimes a couple bucks a bdft) into a sawlog (often less than .75 cents a bdft).

snowstorm

it is different. a few things 90degree corners no trees barked up the grass or regen is still in the center of the trails. no pulling winch cable  no winich cable. no brush trying to hit you side the head. no more being cold or hot. no flys

logman81

I agree with everything except the brush part and being hot or cold with this old bone unless you built a inclosed cab for it. ;)

lumberjack48

When ii first bought the pole skidder, i short skidded timber, like a 100 yards or so and sawed it up for the dray to pickup. I had piles all over in the woods, we quit doing this because we were handling the wood one to many times. Then the dray was used to sort wood an load trucks on the landing. The dray an cat never went back in the woods again. [1969]

I selective cut timber 20 years with a pole skidder never had a complaint from, Feds, State or private on skinning up other trees. If you did skin up trees on Federal timber the fine could be up to $5000., triple stumpage and black balled from buying stumpage.

It would be nice if you could find a Dray to hook behind your skidder then you have the best of both worlds. I found this old posting on the forum, heres the pic.

If i bought the Bone Forwarder i would build a arch that i could take off an on to go with the winch. Then it could be used like a skidder for short pulling wood to be bucked up, this would be a big plus.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

Lumberjack, I don't think these guys doubt the logging you did, I know I don't. One thing that is different is the forest types, most of these guys are in areas of predominantly big hardwood like we don't see much around here. I see where you are coming from, around here if you are using the forwarder with hand felling on most sales you would be screwing around. However, I get into an occasional land clearing type job where you barely have room to get your skids dragging behind you, a forwarder would work way better there. Corley is getting 12-18 cords a day with 2 guys in hardwood thins, I think that is pretty good production.
Too many irons in the fire

jd540b

Logman-if that is the pettibone for sale up at Poulin Tractor, a buddy of mine called and think it's sold.

logman81

Yes it is that one. Not sure if it is sold

jd540b

Quote from: logman81 on June 18, 2012, 06:22:06 PM
Well I'm atleast going to take a look at it on my way up to my camp in madawaska maine in a few weeks. Yes I did see both mules they are priced considerably more than the pettibone. :o The price seems pretty fair if all works like it should. Will also have to consider trucking to here as well.

I do believe you get what you pay for when buying used equipment.  :)

logman81

This is true in some casses. I did very good on my purchase of my cable skidder that I paid very little for.

barbender

For a while you were wondering though ;)
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Yes I was. :D But come to fine out things arn't as bad as I thought, the center pins are fine the play is coming from the radial bearings where it pivots on the rear of the machine. Some sort of hard bearing plastic or something like that that is worn out.

snowstorm

Quote from: jd540b on June 19, 2012, 03:53:19 PM
Logman-if that is the pettibone for sale up at Poulin Tractor, a buddy of mine called and think it's sold.
i went by there 4 or 5 weeks ago didnt see it. it dosent say sold on his wed site. i bought a new thumb for my excavator from him several yrs ago. has stood up real well.

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!