iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1975 Franklin grapple skidders looking for the good and bad on them.

Started by logman81, November 26, 2012, 08:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Got some good news new skidder is suppose to be at my place for 8:00 tomorrow morning! Keeping myself busy cutting new corks for the ring chains.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

logman81

logman81

New skidder is home! Getting it all fixed up and adjusted. Should be ready to go on it's first job this wednesday. I took a couple of pics  but when I try to up load from my phone gallery it says no files. Used to be able to upload no problem now I can't.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

logman81

Thanks treefarmer87, I glad to have it to. It's all fixed and adjusted and ready to go to it's first job! It is a very differnt animal compared to the pettibone.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Wish I could but I cant seem to down load them. I know how it just keeps saying no files found.

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

First day runing the new skidder whay a nice machine. Very fun to run and much faster then the pettibone. She is a keeper!

lumberjack48

logman81 i tried posting the pic's , no go, all different program, i well work on it. Nice looking C5-D, glad everything went good with it and that you like it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Ok no problem, It's a keeper for sue. You were right about the cable chokers being easyer and faster. Only problem is their is only four on it right now. Thier a little short for logs over twenty inches found this out today when I tried to choke a 28" log.

lumberjack48

You need a choker bell on the end of you mainline, then you can chock anything..
I have the photos in the gallery of your C5-D

mad murdock

If you have standard slides (bells?) different terms for different regions, you can always double up chokers to fit larger logs, i.e. hook 2 chokers together. Sometimes tho you may need some 8' or maybe a couple different lengths available 10' or 12'.  If you don't have a rigger close by your area, Bailey's sells chokers and even mainline. I have purchased both from them, for reasonable prices. I also carry a 30' "logging" chain, I call it 5/16" links with one slip and one grab hook. I also carry a set of tongs on my skidder, with a short endless loop of cable through the ring, and a bell on it so I can grab it with a choker if I need to use it, comes in real handy at times, I use it for the occasional 36"-48" dia log. For cable chokers I carry a 12" long (approx) metal "spike"'for assisting in getting a "slot" for the nubbin to go around a log if it fell hard to the ground and you can't force the choker under by itself. The chain and odds n ends I carry in a metal "tray" that rides between the arch and winch, and kind of above the rear pumpkin if you can picture it. It is handy to have that stuff on the machine saves a lot of walking around and you almost always have what you need. I also carry an axe on the skidder, and during fire season a shovel and don't forget the fire extinguisher! On my blade I have no less than 7 grab hooks welded in strategic spots on the blade, I use them in concert with the chain, I have lifted logs, pulled trees, cars, moved boulders, rootballs, all kinda of stuff with the blade and chain, using those hooks.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Forgot to add the chain I use, is prestretched chain wih 4,500 lb working load and 9,000 lb breaking strength chain. Good stuff, you usually have to get it at a rigger and not a hardware store. I have yarded and yanked on that chain and have not managed to break it yet!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

Very good tips mad murdock. My skidder has the same tray and I my saw, maul,wedges ect in it very handy. I figured out how to use the main line as a choker. So far I love the new machine I like it much better than the other machine I had.

mad murdock

Quote from: logman81 on December 20, 2012, 05:38:01 PM
Very good tips mad murdock. My skidder has the same tray and I my saw, maul,wedges ect in it very handy. I figured out how to use the main line as a choker. So far I love the new machine I like it much better than the other machine I had.
I am glad it is working out well for you.  Life don't get much sweeter than having a good twitch hooked up, engine singing nicely, and you're moving wood!  To me it is kind of an addicting thing!   :christmas: :snowfight1: :new_year:

logman81

lumberjack48

Heres some pictures of logmans C5-D  nice looking Horse. :christmas:

:new_year:

beenthere

Yes indeed, a nice looking machine. Glad to see it, and glad for logman to get it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

I see you figured it out lj48, thanks a buch! Yes it does look good. So far I like the machine alot, the way it is built and how it works. The only things it will need eventually need is a new blade and pins, shims in the center pins and bushings in the walking beam but it is not bad at all just a little play. These things can be fixed one at a time over time. I'll have to take some more pics of it in action and a vid to.

thecfarm

lumberjack, thank you for the pictures. Thumbs up to ya.
logman,good luck with your skidder!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

When i got it figured out, Jeff changed it back to the old way, Thank You, Jeff

LGM81 you can post pic's again, i think

Ohio_Bill

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!