iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1975 Franklin grapple skidders looking for the good and bad on them.

Started by logman81, November 26, 2012, 08:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Ok guys, I have got a couple of guys that are really interested in looking at my old pettibone from what they told me. One guy wants to come this coming tuesday to look at it even with axle problem. Any way I have been looking for a differnt skidder on CL's and came across a 1975 132 franklin cable/grapple skidder for sale. From what the ad says it has a 353 DT and all hydraulic cylinders have been rebuilt. It has 23.1x26 tires three at 40% and one new tire. Says it works and pulls good. Does any one know about these machines? Are parts available for them? Are thier any bad things to watch out for on them? Spill any info you got on them please. Machine is so close to me that it's worth a look and trucking would be very cheap!
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

logman81

logman81

come on guys no info on the Franklin need to know asap if good or not so I can make a decision. 8)

beenthere

Tell us what you find when you look at it and try it out. Pic or two too ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Ok I'll take some pics when I go to look at it. Does any one know about these machines?

jd540b

Logman, I've never owned a franklin skidder-but I have a mid 80's franklin feller buncher that has been one of the most reliable machines i've ever owned. (knock on wood).  ;)

240b

A quick tour of CT CL came up w/ what is probably it.  They got one new tire and one worn out on the front axle. thats not the best.  Other than that the tin is straight. At least they didn't give it the dupont overhaul.

logman81

Yes thats the one, going to check it out in a day or two. If it's good I'll try to get the price down so I can get a set of ring chains for the front. Can't be without a skidder to long work is stacking up!

logman81

Where the grapples good on those skidders? Looks like an esco.

logman81

Just another question, has any one bought a set of tight rings chains from tirechains required. Just thought I'd look around for prices on them. They list them at $1,802.43 and free shipping. Just incase I buy the franklin it needs chains.

mad murdock

esco grapples are solid.  Just check all the hydraulics on it.  Is it a straight grapple or does the arch swing? White Mountain Chain has a good selection of skidder chains, and pricing is ok.  New chains are not cheap.  Is the tranny on the franklin an automatic?  The one we owned that I mentioned (the 132 forwarder) we purchased it new with a manual tranny.  Drive train on that machine was bomb proof!  We did manage to break a planetary on it after a year and a half of use, mostly from overloading the machine, and then operating in extreme cold ( I think it was -40F when it broke on us).  We decided after that if temps were below -30, we would just not run the machinery that day, and ran the chainsaws on them real cold days, we avoided a lot of breakdowns that way.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

From what I know so far all the cylinders have been rebuilt not sure on pump. It has a single fuction grapple. I think it has a standard trans I can see a gear shift lever in pic. I'll check out white mountain. Thanks for the great info. Guy is coming friday to pick mine up. So I'm going to go see the franklin then.

240b

That looks to be a franklin grapple.  And get BABAC chains at lest they are made in USA. Buy'em in NH, no tax.

logman81

You could be right 240b looks almost the same. I think the chains from tirechainsrequired are made in the usa, but I will call pbh and get price from them too. Thanks

logman81

jwilly3879

logman81, I have purchased tight ring chains from Tirechains Required and I am quite happy with them, 2 years now and wearing well. If you decide to buy a set call them, they are more expensive if you buy online. I found this out after ordering them, they would have been $300 cheaper with a phone call.

logman81

Two days late skidder sold! And it was sold to a guy in ri just my luck!

beenthere

Bummer.
Now whatcha gonna do?

Quite possible your post on Monday alerted a number of different 'lookers' that this one was for sale on CL. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Going to look at a late 60' early 70' c5 tree farmer in Mass tomarrow. :)

logman81

Talked to the guy it has 353 dt rockwell rears #19 winch lots of spare parts, Rear tires 60% fronts 20% with near new ring chains. Only issue master control needs re building simple fix! and cheap money! ;D

logman81

lumberjack48

If it has 8 lug bolts its a pulpwood special, i found it but no pic. [ offer 4500. ]

I'm feeling kind of sad, i had feelings for that Ole Pettibone.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

It has twelve bolts. He is asking 6000 but told me 5500 over the phone so I thinking 5000?. He sent me pics looks pretty good, needs a little paint but not much. Comes with 90% ring chains new non sweged 9/16 main line with cable chokes and various fluids and such. Yes I'm sad to see the pettibone go but it just wasn't the right machine for me. This one has brakes that work! Needs winch control rebuilt. Going tomarrow to test it out I'll take some picks and maybe a vid to.

Holmes

That unit has been for sale for a long time. . Good luck with it tell him you will give it a good home...
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!