iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shes pulling her little heart out!

Started by logman81, November 21, 2016, 08:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

This the current job im on, just a five minute drive from home got to love that. It consists of a mix of hard woods ranging from nice firewood poles to some decent saw logs. Totall job is 50 acres some of what is going to be clear cut about twenty acres and the rest selective cut.

Precision Firewood & Logging

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ron Scott

It's always great to have a job close to home to cut down on the travel time. ;)
~Ron

logman81

Thanks and yes im feeling blessed to have work so close to home.

logman81

AlexHart

Nice looking pile of logs but at the same time these pics make me a little sad.   Despite being in the logging business I'm not a big fan of winter and around here inside of like 48 hours we went from beautiful 60 degree days to.... winter.     Snow, wind all day.   Ick.   I took a little too much wind today myself.   

Much rather have conditions like in those pics. 

bigblue12v

Nice pics, would love to have a job that close to home! Is that a gafner?
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

logman81

I know what you mean about the weather it is starting to get cold here to and i fear it wont be to long before the snow comes yuk! Yes it is a gafner mini skidder.

bigblue12v

Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

logman81

AlexHart

Is this one of those rabbit habitat cuts ( "rabitat" ) ?   I see your clearcutting part of it.   Was wondering if that happens in RI as well as here.

logman81

No this is not although i have done some of those in the past. Some of it is being clear cut for a future solar farm and the rest is to be thinned out for future growth.

BargeMonkey

That machine does a nice job, you've got a good pile of wood there. 10" of snow and cold and blowing here, wish it was like last week again.

logman81

Thanks its mostly the operator but yes it does a good job for what it is. Im fortunate enough to have some good timber so close to home.  Im hoping to replace it with a small forwarder soon so i can keep working this job no matter what the weather or conditions are.

bill m

Quote from: logman81 on November 24, 2016, 12:46:52 PM
  Im hoping to replace it with a small forwarder soon so i can keep working this job no matter what the weather or conditions are.
Sorry to disappoint you but poor ground conditions will stop a forwarder sooner than a skidder. In deep mud or a steep uphill a skidder can drop the hitch, pull ahead and winch it in. Can't do that with a forwarder.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

jd540b

X2 what Bill m said.  Plus, hand cutting with a forwarder you need to cover much more of the ground because you need to drive to every single tree to process and pick it up.  I hand cut with a forwarding trailer and with an old iron mule forwarder for a few years.  You can do nice work but it does not buy you more time or production.  The best way to hand cut with a forwarder at least from my experience is to use it WITH a skidder.  I would make a small landing area in the woods, skid to the forwarder and load it in one spot and head to the yard.  If you are planning on hand cutting with just the forwarder, your production will decrease from skidder logging.  That has been my experience anyway. 

logman81

I feel in my particular situation that it will benefit me more than the skidder. For one my skidder is much smaller than the forwarder which means less wood per trip. I dont mind the fact that i have to drive beside the logs to pick them up it will keep them cleaner for the mill and my firewood processor.  My landing is in the woods and a log truck wont be able to access it once the snow comes. So the only option is to forward all the wood out down the land owners  driveway and stack it along that where the truck can get to it. Plus there may come a time when i may have to load trailers. I have a guy that works for me now so i dont have to do all the work myself.  So you see my situation is a little unique.

bushmechanic

Ever since forwarders were introduced here skidders have completely disappeared. I would say the last skidder bought here was in the 1980's. We found that a forwarder can go anywhere a skidder could. You don't have to work hard as you can pick up heavy wood with the machine. You can pile wood higher, and it is clean when it comes out to the landing, no mud and broken tops. I have hauled wood off of hills that steep that the machine didn't roll but slid, just go straight up and down hills no turning. That boom is always good to have on hand to fix tires and anything where lifting is required. Just my thoughts.

logman81

I have heard the same from other people that own and hand cut for forwarders and work hills just fine. I totally agree with you, far more uses and ability with one i feel.

leeroyjd

Quote from: bill m on November 25, 2016, 07:44:21 AM
Quote from: logman81 on November 24, 2016, 12:46:52 PM
  Im hoping to replace it with a small forwarder soon so i can keep working this job no matter what the weather or conditions are.
Sorry to disappoint you but poor ground conditions will stop a forwarder sooner than a skidder. In deep mud or a steep uphill a skidder can drop the hitch, pull ahead and winch it in. Can't do that with a forwarder.
This ^^unless you are going with a 6 wheeler on soft ground rutting will be worse than skidder.

logman81

No its a 4 wheeler im not worried about mud i can always put corduroy down if need be or lay a bruch mat. Mud isnt the issue its going to be snow.

logman81

Well back at it after a couple of days of heavy rain really need for it to stop raining or freeze up so i can get these logs out. Seems its always something delaying progress.

logman81

logman81

Some nice timber on this lot. She wants to stay but i need a little bigger skidder.

timberlinetree

Log man are you going to change your pic from the timber jack to the mini skidder?  That shure is a nice one!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!