iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long can a log stay a log

Started by maddog, February 15, 2017, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

I am very new to this and I thank you very much for any help you can give.
I have been offered a deal to cut up someone else's logs using their sawmill and we would sharing the money that was made.
The logs come from a tree removal company doing mostly residential work.
Some of the logs have been down for a couple of years and new logs coming in on a weekly basis.
There are cherry, oak, maple, pine, and this is in the north eastern US.
My question is are the older logs worth sawing and is there a rule of thumb, or a reference based on species that would help me out?
Thank you

fishfighter

I would say it all depends on what type of log and if they are on direct contact with the ground. Also, yard tree logs love to have nails in them.

You could always take a maul and knock the heck out of them to see if they are soft or hard.

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum!  I'd try to pin down some of the potential risks so you could gauge the situation more accurately.  Running someone else's mill, who's responsible for broken blades, broken machinery, etc?  I'd take fishfinder's advice and take a look at some of those logs.
Woodland Mills HM130

WV Sawmiller

Maddog,

I agree with Chugiak (even though I can't pronounce his handle) on being careful to cover the liability and mill costs. Other than that sounds like an old fashioned share-cropping agreement (which were not always bad for either party).

Fishfighter is right about the wide range of conditions and log types. A dead white oak log might be good for several years while a pine on the ground easily might not be good after less than one season. Also was it in direct contact with the ground or held up by a root ball and the top, etc.

This does not sound like a bad deal and I hope you iron out the details and it works well for both of you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ozarkgem

Work out who pays for the blades. Metal is a sure bet. Get a metal detector to start with.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

boscojmb

Quote from: maddog on February 15, 2017, 06:51:19 PM
My question is are the older logs worth sawing and is there a rule of thumb, or a reference based on species that would help me out?
Thank you

Oak logs in the North East can last for years. After a while the bark will fall off and the sapwood will rot, but the heart wood will still be good.

Pine logs will last over the winter, but go bad quickly over the summer. On a 70°+ day you can hear the grubs chewing away at them. The hotter it gets the faster they chew. Blue stain sets in quickly in hot weather.

Maple is no problem sitting over the winter. It goes bad pretty quick in the warm weather. Maple is the opposite from oak it seems to spalt from the inside out (or at least it all goes bad at the same time).

I have not cut enough Cherry to state as fact, but I suspect that it does not last for years in log form.

I hope this helps.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

maddog

Kbeitz

I new at saw milling but last year I cut a very large white pine
that fell over 7 years ago. It made great mantles. Up in Williamsport
Pa people are always looking for river logs that are over 100 years old.
i just got some walnut logs that laid on the ground for 12 years.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

What were the conditions on that pine? Inside/outside? Was it in the shade/Sun? Off the ground? Bark on/off? That sounds like a long time for a pine to last in this part of the world. I tried to cut a nice whack of WP last summer that had been down and stacked under a shade tree for 18 months and they had a big sawyer grub every 2-3 feet. You could sit there and hear them chewing. Would have made sheeting and maybe some character laden mantels but no good for framing which is what the customer wanted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Cherry, oak, maple, pine, all 2 yr or less in northeast, saw them.   Most likely to be worth it. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 16, 2017, 07:23:37 AM
Kbeitz,

What were the conditions on that pine? Inside/outside? Was it in the shade/Sun? Off the ground? Bark on/off? That sounds like a long time for a pine to last in this part of the world. I tried to cut a nice whack of WP last summer that had been down and stacked under a shade tree for 18 months and they had a big sawyer grub every 2-3 feet. You could sit there and hear them chewing. Would have made sheeting and maybe some character laden mantels but no good for framing which is what the customer wanted.

This old white pine died from something and laid on damp grassy
ground. I would have never tried to saw it but I was moving the
logs to the brush pile with my tractor and I seem that it looked
to be solid. I had nothing to loose so I cut it. To my surprise it was
good inside.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

I cut an old pine like that, the wood was good but there were quite few - empty - tunnels - in the wood.

Gundog

I have a large fir log down on my property I am guessing on how long but according to the neighbor it fell about 2010 ( I bought the place in 2012) the root ball is holding the trunk end off the ground it is laying in the crotch of some brush and the limbs are stuck in the ground. This log is about 28-30" near the trunk and laying straight as an arrow and not touching the ground except the limbs most of it is 2' off the ground. I have not tried to cut it yet because it is fairly hard to get to and I don't have a mill yet. I figure it is better preserved the way it is and it still has all the bark on it. It may not be any good I won't know until I cut it.

Mike

Brad_bb

So if you have to mill, and don't have any help off bearing, clamping etc., and you have to market and sell the wood too?  Are you going to stack and air dry to try selling green right away?

Are you responsible for fuel, blades, maintenance, clean up?  Do you have to dispose of slabs and saw dust?  It is work.  We cut up our slabs as we go along.  We're not milling as a business so not as much pressure to be quick.  But cutting slabs for firewood takes time.  We also burn our saw dust in a "Vortex burn barrel".  We can burn green dust.  Get the fire going and angle the dust in the barrel.  The heat will help dry out the durst and it burns. 

Yard trees will have nails and ruin bands.  You'll have to learn the nail/metal removal techniques.  I have a whole cart with tools and various methods for removal depending on what it is. Multiple nails or metal can take up an hour or more in a log.

You also have to make stickers and stack your wood neatly for air drying, brushing all the dust off the wood. 
What I'm saying is that it's a lot of work.  Is 50% of the sale price enough to cover your expenses and make enough money to be worth while to you?  I pay my buddy who works with me hourly.  I'd bet he makes more hourly than if he had to wait to get paid from a sale.
Hopefully you'll get some training from the owner.  I guess if he can't mill, it's worth it to have someone running it than just sitting.  Keep track of your time though so you can see if you're doing well or not.  If nothing else if you do it for awhile, it's good experience.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

moodnacreek

logs last longer if kept directly on the ground. in a swamp is better,in a pond is best

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

You need to update your profile so we all know where you are from. While I agree about storing logs in water I strongly disagree with them lasting longer stored on the ground especially species like pine, poplar, maple, etc.
Howard Green

timcosby

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 16, 2017, 03:41:22 PM
So if you have to mill, and don't have any help off bearing, clamping etc., and you have to market and sell the wood too?  Are you going to stack and air dry to try selling green right away?

Are you responsible for fuel, blades, maintenance, clean up?  Do you have to dispose of slabs and saw dust?  It is work.  We cut up our slabs as we go along.  We're not milling as a business so not as much pressure to be quick.  But cutting slabs for firewood takes time.  We also burn our saw dust in a "Vortex burn barrel".  We can burn green dust.  Get the fire going and angle the dust in the barrel.  The heat will help dry out the durst and it burns. 

Yard trees will have nails and ruin bands.  You'll have to learn the nail/metal removal techniques.  I have a whole cart with tools and various methods for removal depending on what it is. Multiple nails or metal can take up an hour or more in a log.

You also have to make stickers and stack your wood neatly for air drying, brushing all the dust off the wood. 
What I'm saying is that it's a lot of work.  Is 50% of the sale price enough to cover your expenses and make enough money to be worth while to you?  I pay my buddy who works with me hourly.  I'd bet he makes more hourly than if he had to wait to get paid from a sale.
Hopefully you'll get some training from the owner.  I guess if he can't mill, it's worth it to have someone running it than just sitting.  Keep track of your time though so you can see if you're doing well or not.  If nothing else if you do it for awhile, it's good experience.

if you get the bark off it will last longer.

Chuck White

A few years back, I sawed two 34-36"X12' White Pine logs that had been peeled and were up off the ground and exposed to the weather for 3 years!

Those logs were as solid and nice as any that I've ever seen!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chris,

I think the key point here is you said they were kept up off the ground. I can't imagine these same logs being any good if they had been left in direct contact with damp ground.
BTW - I see you mention was the bark not still on?
Howard Green

TKehl

How long?  To paraphrase Ron White:  "all the way to the edge of the blade"   :D

I think the posts above drive home, "it depends".  Some pictures would tell a lot.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

moodnacreek

after sawing for 37 years I have experience with decayed logs here in s.e. n.y. when I get to the bottom of pile the logs are always better.

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

What kind of logs are you talking about anyway? Your experiences seem to be different than mine. I wonder what is different about the kinds of wood we are used to working with.
Howard Green

moodnacreek

any kind of log I can think of. it's all about heat and the lack of it. many mills water their logs in  summer. some use sun switch like street lites have to turn off the water. also perforated cloth kept wet.

Rhodemont

With white pine will sawing cants to allow them to start drying and storing them for future use prevent the grubs from destroying the log?
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Darrel

Most likely because removing bark is always helpful. I'd still keep the cant off the ground.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!