iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experience with Tractor Mounted PTO stump grinder?

Started by Jasperfield, September 03, 2011, 10:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

Do any of you have experience with a PTO driven tractor mounted stump grinder?

pineywoods

Got a home-made one. Gearbox off a bush hog and 20 inch carbide tooth sawblade. Hydraulic cylinder for left-right swing. It works but the Dang thing is downright scary.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Woodwalker

Yeah, had one for a while. It's not a matter of if it's going to tear up the tractor, it's just when and how much it's going to cost to fix it. They will work, but I will not put another behind one of my tractors.
If your going to get one look at some of the self- propelled units on the market.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

zopi

yeah, for the aggravation of building or buying a 3pt jobby, you can pick up a pretty decent one online...there are three or four on craigslist here all the time...I am liking that vermeer 252..it is not as heavy as I would like, but it is self propelled and won't tear up a lawn too bad...if you want one behind a tractor, get a towed model and hook it up to the draw bar...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bro. Noble

We have a Levco and have used it for 10 or 15 years.  It is on the back of an IH 684 (I believe) it's about 45 hp.  We have never torn up anything although it's tiring to use and a little slow.  You continuously lift and drop the cutting head on the stump.  The rig is built very stout and the head is probably a foot wide and extremely heavy.  It has carbide teeth that must be replaced from time to time.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jasperfield

For me the tractor mount is necessary, and the tractor that I'll use is heavy. I have about 40 old stumps and with a stump grinder I would soon have more.

Maybe some of the vendors at Paul Bunyan will display PTO grinders.

shinnlinger

I saw a slick one made with a brush hog box but rather than flip it they kept it just like it would sit on a brush hog and had a beefed up metal disc made that would take 5 or 6 processor teeth(which I think they got at Baileys).  They would forward and reverse over the stump a few times while lowering the unit an inch at a time.  A hystat tractor would be ideal for this.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Randy88

I looked at a Miller I think was the name, it was pto drive and had cylinders on it to extend and swing side to side, it looked like a good unit and I've talked to a few that used one and they all liked it but I never had the money on hand to buy one so as of yet I'm still looking for a used one that's in good shape, or else a good skid steer mounted unit that I can afford to buy.   The one's I talked to had over a 100 hp tractor on theirs and they liked it and said they could use some more hp to run it and get things done even faster but again its what I've been told not first hand experience.

Jasperfield

I have not found a used 3-point-hitch unit in good condition. Used skidsteer-mounted machines are almost common. I'll be using a 95 hp tractor and have plenty of remote hydraulics.

Currently, I'm having satellite internet problems that have slowed my searching for one.

mog5858

well i don't think this is in your price range but it looks like it dose a very nice job and is way safer the the grinding tipe. just thought i would pass it a long
http://youtu.be/QVAJT2ThP-4

Jasperfield

Thank you for the link.

I found a used Woods SG100 just North of Knoxville priced at about 1/3 cost of new. Now I've got to find a source (other than Woods) for teeth.

T Welsh

Jasperfield, 40 stumps? think this way! used stump grinder 3pt pto. vs a 2 day rental of a rayco rg-50 stump grinder at rental center! these grinders do one thing! grind, 4wd and will go about anywhere at a walking pace. 3pt. are just an attachment to a tractor. they give you pi-- pure results.are not operator friendly,you have to look backward over your shoulder while operating it, just makes sense to me is get the right tool for the job. we have 2 stump grinders and we are in the business, they dont get used that much to be cost effective to  a homeowner stand point. NOW, on the other hand, if you want a new play toy!! go for it.  Tim

Jasperfield

I'm going to have a lot more than 40 stumps soon. I bought it for immediate and long-term use. The tractor will deliver the grinder wherever I'll need it. I own a lot of land, and timber tracts, so when I need the grinder I'll just hook up and go. If I had a homeowner's use I'd rent, but that is not the case. It is capital equipment and the time to purchase has never been better.

Otherwise, you're exactly right.

doghunter

Jasperfield

Doghunter,

These things use a Sandvic tooth, but it's not quite like their threaded tooth that has a globed shaft. I've not called Bailey's yet because I didn't think they'd have it. I'll give them a call, and might just be surprised.

Jim H

Try discountstumpcutters.com they have teeth for 7-8 bucks each or they can re-tip your old ones.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Jasperfield

Thanks, Jim H.

I bought some from discountstumpcutters, new, at $7.35 each. They manufacture the teeth and are the only source that I have found other than Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!