iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deer shedding hair

Started by thecfarm, April 22, 2012, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Found 2 different areas of hair on my land.

These are all about 3-4 feet square. Note the cones in this picture. The cones are about 4 inches long. I should of picked up a few cones and put them in each picture,but never thought of it.

Hair covers the ground. There was some hair that was scratted around too.I have never seen this before.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MrPete

It looks like it could be the remains of a carcass.  But I would think you would see some remains of a hide or something.  Hopefully there is someone on here that can give us an answer. :-[

Texas Ranger

There is a dead dear (carcass) some where nearby.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Dead deer. Be careful if there is, not to get any ticks off it. I got a couple ticks off a moose carcass once. Killed the buggers to, but not before I got bit by one of'm.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yup, dead deer. There may be no other signs of the deer left, but you should be able to find the mandibles somewhere, unless you have a big canine doing the damage as they can eat the big bones too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

No sign of deer at either place. I looked real hard at both places too. Had the dog with me and he hardly smelled at it. That's kinda why I thought it was a shed. There is no sign of nothing. Just hair. I have had my dog bring back deer parts,but not this year. But probably you all are right,I was just guessing just because of nothing but hair. I have found a caress just once before,but there was some bones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Deer do shed their winter hair. However, what you show is a lot in one location.

Coyotes don't like the hair, and do drag the carcass off as they work on it.

So could be either...

The deer around here are changing daily from their winter hair to the summer coat, so that old hair comes off somehow/somewhere.. ::)

And those ticks leave a dead carcass right quick, soon as the blood supply turns cold and/or runs out. :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

More like when new blood comes along. This was a winter killed moose that adult ticks were on since the fall. Moose died in late winter I suppose. They were just laying and waiting for a new host to feed on the blood to complete the life cycle (egg laying). They drop off the host after feeding to lay the eggs. I ended it for two. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Surely he just got a bad haircut.  This young bull elk left a wad of hair somewhere.

Ticks, lice, mange?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Oh you know how young bucks are MM he probably did it on purpose, kind of like an elk mowhawk.  :D

sandhills

thecfarm, I'd bet you've got a carcass laying around somewhere.

MM, maybe all three, with a nasty case of ringworm thrown in just for kicks?

thecfarm

I'm just kinda surprised Boo Boo has not brought back a bone or something or been sick. He out in the woods all the time.He'll lay on the front lawn chewing on a bone and I know he found something.

Red Pill

That looks just like the spot where I left the skin I took off of a deer last fall. The coyotes chewed the skin off of the hair (or vice-versa).

isawlogs

Last fall is when it was killed, nothing left to find, your dog won't find a trace of smell to follow. I found a deer three years ago that had been wounded and had died on our property. I went back two days later thinking of putting a game cam up to catch the action, I was too late there was nothing left but a pile of hair exactly as you have there. Not a bone was found nothin' left but hair.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Probably he was there eating the left over last fall. It's within his range,only a few minutes from the house.

Thank You Sponsors!