iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hummingbirds

Started by Magicman, September 02, 2015, 06:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Our Hummer situation here is really wild.  There has to be 20+ birds but counting them is impossible.  They empty the feeder every ~2 hours.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

We have not put them out this year but usually put out 3 feeders on the porch. We'd have a couple dozen feeding at a time. With that many its like a big flock of turkeys milling around and just about impossible to get an accurate count. What we find is the hens can feed any time but the roosters will not allow another rooster to feed at his feeder and he spends all his time chasing the other roosters away.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I went out early this morning and took all the feeders and a hanging basket flowering plant down.

The plant went into the recycle bin and the feeders were washed and put away for the Winter.

I figured taking them down early in the day would be easier on the hummers, since they have the rest of the day to find something else!

Haven't seen any in a few days!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Our weather changed last night and we have many less today.  I guess that they continued on another leg of their migration. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LaneC

As of now ours are still here, eating and fighting.
Man makes plans and God smiles

beenthere

We still have them in WI.  They may be down in MS later... but still in the 70's through next week.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

One feeder will last all day today.

Chuck White

They must be moving on, Lynn!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Yup, It is 65° this morning so we will soon see.  There were about 5-6 yesterday PM before they went to roost.  I filled the feeder just in case there are some stragglers this AM.

Magicman

Yup, there are about a half dozen or so buzzing this AM.    :)

LaneC

I filled the feeder yesterday, and today it is about 3/4 full. They have definitely slowed down. I think there are only 2 left.

Magicman

My feeder is down about ½ from this morning's fill up.  At least those that are still here are enjoying it.

Magicman

We are 65° again this morning and the feeder is full.  They only emptied one yesterday.  It looks like maybe 6-8 buzzing around.

LaneC

Well, I think they have officially flew the coop. I hope Mrs. Pats BP is better. If you need anything holler.

Magicman

They are still drinking one feeder per day here.
QuoteI hope Mrs. Pats BP is better.
Thanks, but not better.

Magicman

Apparently another flight of Hummers arrived because I am back to my refilling chores.   :)

LaneC

Saw 1 today but have not had to fill the feeder since last Friday.

Magicman

I have 6-8 buzzing now.   :)

Chuck White

Yesterday we had scattered frost at 6:00AM.

Just a sign of what's to come.

Pretty soon, the ole LT40 will be parked in the back garage for the Winter.

Magicman

I reckon this 60° weather sent all of our Hummers further South, but at least those that visited us left with a full belly.  We really enjoyed them while they were here.   :)

Magicman

I am glad that the feeder is still out because we have a couple of late arrivals this AM.  They should appreciate a fill-up before continuing their journey South.

beenthere

Neighbor says they are still imbibing here in WI, so you can save some "energy drink" for when they finally decide to leave and make that 1000 mile flight.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have not refilled the feeder in a week, but there are a few still hanging around, so I will keep it for them.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!