iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Satellite Internet

Started by luvmexfood, April 14, 2015, 05:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Does anyone have any experience with satellite internet? Only thing available here is dial-up and on my old XP desktop many webpages will not load anymore. I suppose upgrades are needed but can't download them.

Have a laptop running Windows 8.1 and if I try and connect it through the dial-up modem nothing will download. Everything times out. Have tried both IE and Chrome browsers.

Can't even access Yahoo mail anymore. I was told today by an installer for Dishnetwork that Dish contracts with both Hughes and Exede and just resells their service.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

SwampDonkey

Up here satellite is 'metered' so to speak. If you fetch more than a set amount of content from browser or youtube surfing for instance, they down grade your speed to around dial-up anyway for the remainder of the day. If you can access a tower, it's better. Plus it's not as fast as cable internet either.

The cable company ran 5 miles of cable to a customs border crossing, but wouldn't 5 miles from town up our road where my brother is at. Just as many customers/houses on that road. Plus government subsidized everything that's in place anyway, twice. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johnnyllama

We had Hughes thru Dish a few years ago. It's better than dial up but still not very fast. Finally was able to get reasonable speed thru Verizon phone line DSL. Not as fast as cable tv or FIOS but better than satelite.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

clearcut

This has been covered before. You should seek out those responses.

This is what I posted before:
QuoteI had a Hugesnet connection for 6 years and as soon as a Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) established service in my area, I jumped right in and have had excellent service ever since ($40/month). I would only subscribe to Hughsnet again if my only other option was dial-up.

What's wrong with a satellite connection.

1. Cost - $80+/month for slooooooow uploads and sometimes fast often slow downloads.
2. Latency - the time to send a signal into space, back to the ground, over the intertubes, back into space and back to the ground killed applications that used secure connections, on-line gaming, bittorrent, and video. Checking the balance of my bank accounts was a five minute or more effort.
3. FAP - Fair Access Policy - if you downloaded too many MB over a short period of time (I think it was 180 MB over 4 hours) , Hughesnet slowed your connection to a crawl. Thoroughly sucks with a major software update. Forget streaming video.
4. First tier customer service through India that you always had to pass through to get someone who could actually help. Hughesnet is the only company that I had to contact through customer service several times a month the entire time I subscribed.
5. When I started with Hughesnet, I had access to streaming music that did not count against the FAP limit and to Usenet groups. Each simply went away one day with no notice from Hughesnet. Only when customers complained did they post a notice that they deleted these services to "improve customer service".
6. Big ugly dish stuck to the roof.
7. Frequent weather related outages.
8. Frequent unexplained outages and slow downs.

Explore other options, most cellular carriers will give you one to two weeks to test out their service - but read the fine print. Look for a WISP in your area.

In terms of speed, cost, and reliability, the order of Internet Service Providers is:

Fiber Optic - rare and only in urban areas for the most part.

Cable - Comcast and Time Warner are the big guys here.

DSL - You need to be close to a switching station. You landline provider can tell you if you are.

WISP - Wireless Internet Service Provider - local ISP that uses WiFi or similar to provide the last mile of connectivity. This is what I am currently using and it works well if available. Though the current price is $50/month

Cellular - Either connecting through your phone or a dedicated cellular modem. Expensive, subject to data caps.

Satellite - see above.

Dial up - Too slow as you know.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Corley5

We've got DishNet.  It started as HughesNet and became Dishnet when we upgraded.  The tech told us that Dish had bought Hughes :-\ ??? :) which used to be part of DirectTV.  It's better than dial up but it's not unlimited and on occasion we have to buy some more to get us through the end of the month.  I'd rather have a cable hook up but it's not available here and our cell phone signal isn't always reliable but the satellite signal can be sketchy at times too. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

21incher

On windows 8.1 there is a box you can check for a metered connection that is supposed to eliminate unnecessary data from downloading which may or may not help you. I was looking at a company called Exede that is on the wild blue satellites and they offered free download times, but after reading online reviews about satellite service I decided to pay TWC to run wires down the road. Another option I used for years was Verizon 3g but it was expensive and metered.   :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clearcut

DishNet is a reseller of the HughesNet service. The only advantage to using DishNet is when bundling with satellite TV services.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

Clearcut's list is pretty much spot on.

Satellite is the broadband of last resort, if you can't get any of the others.

Couple of friends here in NZ have to use it, they are out of DSL range, poor cell coverage and no line of sight to the local WISP towers either. So it Sat or nothing really. At least it does work, most of the time.

Look for a wireless or cellular provider first. If that's not an option, then it's a choice of one really.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Grizzly

I'm using Xplornet which I believe is owned by Rogers. It was a great company until the buyout by Rogers and now it can be very difficult to get tech support or any other intelligent human on the other end of the phone. The only time we use up or byte limit is if a lot of video gets used. Otherwise no problem at all..........well until an electrical storm comes up and then you have nothing. We are satisfied for the most part. Not sure where Xplornet all operates but according to their website its bigger than just Canada.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

SwampDonkey

Grizzly, Xplornet isn't Rogers at all. It's a company locally owned by the Barret family here across the river in Jacksonville, N.B. The fellow next door works for them and travels down in the US some for them. They are a growing company to and just paid $7M for a refrigeration and air conditioning business. The family were potato farmers years ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

luvmexfood

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 14, 2015, 05:26:46 PM
Up here satellite is 'metered' so to speak. If you fetch more than a set amount of content from browser or youtube surfing for instance, they down grade your speed to around dial-up anyway for the remainder of the day. If you can access a tower, it's better. Plus it's not as fast as cable internet either.

The cable company ran 5 miles of cable to a customs border crossing, but wouldn't 5 miles from town up our road where my brother is at. Just as many customers/houses on that road. Plus government subsidized everything that's in place anyway, twice. ::)
[/b]

@SwampDonkey here is a similiar situation to the one you described showing how screwed up things can be. One city in the next county over has their own electric utility company. They got into providing cable, internet and telephone all with fiber to the home. Next they got some government grants to extend their fiber network into additional counties to provide internet to businesses. Several million dollars worth. They came through one small community and hooked up two businesses to their network. In this community they do have cable tv but the cable company does not provide internet. The electric utility would not hook any of the residents up to their internet service even though they had the fiber network running on poles located in the peoples yard wanting it.
On a related note a vice-president of the utility company and the person who took his job after he retired have both pled guilty in federal court to accepting kick-backs from the company who installed the fiber cable. Also, the company that paid the kick-backs CEO has pled guilty to paying bribes and a third party company that was overseeing the work has also pled guilty to income tax evasion. Utility Company estimates that they were defrauded over one million dollars in the scheme. They say that they didn't have a clue it was going on until the feds told them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

luvmex
No need to use the @ function when the member is already involved in the thread. Save it for when trying to call in a member not participating.  Otherwise, we may lose that feature, according to some previous discussion.  Just FYI and thought you'd like to know. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

limbwood

we have Hughs Net and it is better than cellular that we had before, it takes about 1 gig per hour if watching movies on Netflix, 80.00 a month for 50 gigs works for us

Thank You Sponsors!