iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flatbed dump truck?

Started by oakiemac, January 17, 2005, 07:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Electrical Al,
Yeah Vince has a sweet trailer, but like you said the sides are permanent. I looked at a few of the web sites on the flatbed type and am convinced they are the way to go. I already have enough engines to maintain and I'm sure insurance on a dump style truck would be high. A trailer, although it won't haul as much, would get around some of these issues. My big problem is that I don't have a large truck to pull it with-my old international will pull anything but I would hate to take it on a long trip.
BTW the clutch went out on the 801. I'm thinking about digging a big hole and putting it out of my misery.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ElectricAl

Sorry to hear the 801 is causing problems :-[

That clutch can be adjusted, but very little.

There is a linkage on the left side as you sit on it. I forget the actual steps to adjust it {Al-timers is setting in}. But it takes some fiddeling and a few test drives.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Brad_S.

Here's a beauty.
http://wwwtreetrader.com/cl/default.asp?action=addetail&adid=4279
I couldn't get this link to work in preview no matter how I tried to shorten it up. Basically, Tree Trader looks to be a used forestry site, and this specific link was supposed to take you to a 16' flatbed dump trailer with a loader. The site is worth a look.
www.treetrader.com
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tome

A friend of mine makes these hydraulic dump trailers here south of Poplar Bluff, Mo.  They will make them to suit your needs, with sides or without.
http://www.ricetrailers.com/hdt.asp

Furby

This should be a link to the trailer Brad_S was talking about.
Link to trailer

I sure like the idea behind this one!!! 8) Now if only the $$$ were low enough............... ::)

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Furby

No, thank YOU!
That's a pretty good site, I'm going to look through it a little more. Really like that trailer/loader though. ::)

rebocardo

> I would like to find a truck just under the CDL requirements which I beleive is 26000 GVW.  

Look for a cab over (mostly Isuzu and Mit.) or reg. cab -TOW- truck (International) with a tilt bed. They usually have a hefty PTO winch at the front of the bed. An ideal truck for loading logs and dumping.

Most are probably rated at 5+ tons of carry weight and have a wide footprint..

All are probably non CDL and right at the limit when loaded.

Plus, They have heavy duty headache/cab protectors.

KDEC19

wE JUST GOT A 2004 F550 FLATBED DUMP.  POWERRRRSTROKE 6.0.  mADE ANICE SET OF 34 INCH BOARDS FOR THE SIDES.  Traded down from an F650 dump.  This truck has 4*4 and can get to the firewood in the blizzard of 2005!!  It can hold 256 bundles of firewood nicely.  Two cords loose wood.  Take the sideboards off and load a big pile of cut lumber.  This same question nagged me for months and two weeks ago we did the deed and I have been smiling since!!  Just my 2 cents.  Oh yea 39000 out the door.  ouch.  
gonna do it again......

ScottAR

Howdy TomE...  How's the Peterson?  

I didn't know Rice was built up there...  Do they sell direct would one have to go through a dealer?  Most trailer dealers around here strike me as shysters but maybe I'm just a cynic...  

I've looked at and loaded some Rice trailers at work and they seem put together really well.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

rebocardo

>  Most trailer dealers around here strike me as shysters
> but maybe I'm just a cynic...  

I know what you mean.

> wE JUST GOT A 2004 F550 FLATBED DUMP.
> POWERRRRSTROKE 6.0

And a 4x4! That is sweet, I would be smiling too :-)

RacinRex

KDEC19,  Thats one heck of a nice truck you are talking about there. It is rediculous what they fetch for a diesel ton truck anymore, isn't it. We got a 2004 Ram 2500 and that was outrageous with all of the options it came to a sticker of 44K and change and they thought nothing of dropping 5.5K off the sticker... crazyness. I need to build me a dump trailer to haul behind that old girl now :-)
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Ga_Boy

You want to talk about crazy.

I am looking for a 1 ton 4x4.  The prices are $42K plus, these things have heated seats, 6 CD changers, DVD player and a whole lot of other things I do not need.  I tried to talk to a dealer about ordering a work truck version, this guy did not want to even talk to me.  He said this is just the way the factory is building them these days. >:(

I walked out.  Now, here is the real kicker, a 3/4 ton is basically the same price as a 1 ton.  I do not understand this stuff sometimes.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

oakiemac

I'm with you Ga Boy, they don't make trucks for working anymore they make them for city boys with all the fancy toys that just drive the price through the roof.

Furby thanks for the link. Did you ever log in to find out how much $$ that loading dump trailer is?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

RacinRex

Come up here, they'll sell you a gas tank with wheels and a dump box. The dealer I ordered mine from was more than happy to add or delete any option I could dream up. Of Course he was more than happy that I went with a Larime Package w/ the heated seats and 6 CD changer, but he was just as happy to sell a stripped down SL to a friend of mine that uses it simply for plowing snow.

Dodge 3500 standard cab SL (crank windows, rubber floor) 4x4 is about $32,500 which I know is still very pricey but its 10K less than the ones that are loaded to the hilt.
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Furby

Sorry Oakie,
Never did. Really don't have the cash for one, but would like to know what they are asking for them. Maybe I can get ahold of them yet this week. I'll let ya all know!

Frank_Pender

Ga Boy, I ordered my 1999 and a half with no carpet, no power windows, no electric defrost rearview mirrors and a fe other things, but kept Allison Automatic, 4 x 4 long wheel base, air conditioning, tinted front window, power stroke and no bed for $32,000. ;D
Frank Pender

Ga_Boy

Not bad Frank,

I got a lead on a 2004 GMC Duramax, Allison, class IV hitch and 4X4 with 15K miles; asking $34K,

The owner said he will be in my area this weekend and will drop by he house so I can take a look see.

Still, $34K for a used truck, that is half as much as I paid for my first house!

Mark

Ga_Boy

If anyone is looking for Chevy/GME Duramax package; a dealer here in the Washington DC area told me that GM has put a hold on orders for new Duramax's, NO PARTS.  Also GM is shutting down production on all trucks for 60 days.

The dealers here are not willing to deal on the Duramax trucks as they are now in limited supply.

Also those that have early 2004 to 2001 Duramax's the injectors will fail and fill the crank-case with fuel.  There is a recall on these units, but the newly designed injectors are in limited supply.  

A friend who is a GM mechanic and he is telling there is a 60-90 wait list for new injectors.  So far there is no pattern to the injectors failing, some go in 5K miles others go at 50K miles.

RacinRex

Yup thats actually been an issue of discussion on all of the diesel truck forums for some time. Power strokes had a big issue with the rear main when they frist went to the 6.0L configuration. The dodges like mine with the new injection system have a fuel mileage issue that is still being dealt with. The Duramax tends to have the worst reliability though, great engine when it holds together.
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

EdK

QuoteNow, here is the real kicker, a 3/4 ton is basically the same price as a 1 ton.  I do not understand this stuff sometimes.

I'm with you on that one. Until real recently I did not either. My brother has been having a real struggle with driveline durability on his F350 powerstroke. Seems that in the year 2000 or so Ford "cost reduced" the F-250/350 series with common hubs, bearings, etc. Seems as though the only significant difference is springs to support the GVW rating and that cost difference is peanuts.

Furby

I have the contact info for the trailer listed earlier.
For some reason it can't send an email.

Oakie, I'm sending you the info via IM, if anyone else want's the phone # or address, let me know!

Thank You Sponsors!