iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Fawns

Started by Ron Scott, June 08, 2014, 09:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I think game cameras in Maine need a name on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I was coming home around noon yesterday when a fawn that looked to weigh 20-25 lbs suddenly bounced out of the thick brush by the road along the banks of the Greenbrier River just outside of town. I slammed on the brakes then she hit the pavement and slipped as they often do. It slid to the yellow center line then got up and ran across someone's lawn. That is the closest I have come to hitting one in many years. Don't know what spooked it out of the brush. I did not see the old doe come out first or other deer in the area.

Had to go to Lewisburg WV (Barnyard Builders home) this morning and just outside of town by the Greenbrier East Middle school is a big corn field. Two fawns ran out of the corn and stopped in the center of the road. I had plenty of lead time and sat down on the horn encouraging them to leave. They hopped the rundown wire fence and across and old pasture. Glad they were okay. A lot of them are getting killed this time of year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

Three in the yard last night, there was one on the deck in the morning.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Kbeitz

Some just like there pictures taken...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ron Scott

Where's Mom!

Found Her! Time for a nap.

~Ron

DelawhereJoe

Almost got one with my car tonight on the way back through Maryland, I think it would have ended poorly for it and my little car.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

I had four sets of twins on my little place this year.  They each claim there own little patch of ground as the home territory.  I worry about one set as there claim is close to the road.

This pair can normally be found between the house and the lake.  I ride a stationary bike on the deck twice a day and see them most of the time.  Sometimes I talk to them, but they never have talked back....yet.

They were browsing about 30' from the deck while I was riding the bike so when I got done I walked over and took there picture.  They are not camera shy at all.

The spots are fading rapidly on all four sets now.  Won't be long.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Up here, most of the fawns are losing their spots now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

~Ron

WV Sawmiller

The kissing mama picture reminded me of a fawn we raised 15-16 years ago. Mother got killed by a car and we raised her on goat milk. Old goat would not nurse her like she would an orphan kid goat so we'd milk her and give it to her in a bottle. She was always free to run around our place and would go play with the wild deer in the area. We got lots of great pictures when kids would come by. Wife would call and Spot would come running out of the weeds. We'd let the kids give her a bottle or a treat - she loved fortune cookies and liked apples. Anyway. the kids could kneel down or bend over and Spot would come lick their face and looked like she was kissing them. I guess she was licking the salt off their face but the kids never knew. it was always a big hit with the moms too.

Spot's best friend was our big yellow tom cat Morris. We'd feed her bottle and she'd get milk all over her face and Morris, who was the about same size when we first got her, would lick it off. it was also funny when they got older to see Spot in the pasture browsing around and Morris would start stalking her like a leopard after an antelope. He get in range and charge her with feet spread, she'd kick a hoof past his ear and they'd run a couple circles, stop and sniff noses then go their own way. They both seemed to enjoy the game.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

This one is either nursing or didn't get stopped in time.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

:D  I see that it's front brakes are locked.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Hes not a fawn anymore but DumDum still acts like it.  Middle of muzzleloader, shots popping everywhere and i gotta yell and clap to run him off.  Hopefully he makes it another few seasons.

Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

I've got a doe and fawn like that out near where I keep the mill. I have to ride past them on a rock bar at the line fence almost every time I go up to my shooting houses. They stand there and watch as I ride by even though it is bow season and antlerless are legal. The old doe bedded down about 30 yards from me one day last year with me running the mill. They seemed more alarmed when the dogs would come out than they were at me.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

We had the 7 & 11 y/o granddaughters from Wednesday when they got out of school till yesterday afternoon. I took them fishing Friday & Saturday morning and they had a great time jerking little sunfish out of the rocks just above the COE dam on Bluestone Lake. We took them home yesterday pm and Becky, my photographer wife, grabbed her camera in case we spotted interesting wildlife on the 11 mile county mountain road trip to our son's house. About 7 miles up the road alongside Pinch Creek I saw a young doe beside the road and stopped while Becky took her picture. Suddenly 7 y/o Molly yelled "A baby, a baby" and sure enough about 20-30 feet behind the doe a very young fawn was struggling to walk in the grass. It was all wobbly kneed and really cute. It was very tempting to run grab it for a pet but we knew better and let nature take its course. Becky got several good pictures and Molly was really proud of "her" fawn.

The little guy is really struggling to walk in the grass.

I've looked in the pasture a couple of times this year for them where the does park them but had not found any. This one is the first of the year for us. They are really cute at this stage.
Howard Green

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dave Shepard

I saw a fawn an hour ago that must have only been a few minutes old. The size of a house cat and still wet. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

That's a good pic TR, I stumbled into one like that a couple years ago!

It's what they do when someone gets a little to close, just drop and remain motionless hoping the danger will pass!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Mother taught them well. My Father fell a tree and while limbing it,he found a fawn. He came home and got my Mother and me to see it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I've almost stepped on one before with my foot raised over top of one before he jumped up and wabbled off. Almost swallowed my gizzard. :D :D

Only have 2 does around here this spring, haven't seen any fawns. Was hard winter on the deer here this winter, over 20 % die off.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

I'm hoping for twins all over, they were fed well all winter.  ;D
Right cfarm.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Happy B'day Swampy.

I have walked up on fawns hiding in the open like that and still not see them till I am a very few feet from them. I got out spraying weeds this morning and an old does was about 40 yards away on the other side of my cross fence nonchalantly feeding away. I got off my ATV and walked up there and searched but did not find a fawn. She did not blow or stomp her foot like they often do to warn others so maybe she did not have one close by. They are usually pretty nervous when they have a fawn close by to protect. 
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!