iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to look at in a pawn shop saw?

Started by Voytek Jarnot, October 06, 2006, 09:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voytek Jarnot

Hi folks, new here and fairly new to chainsaws. I'm looking for a saw to use with an Alaskan mill.

Saw a 385 in the local stolen goods emporium. I think I can get it for less than $300 - anyone have an idea of what a range of prices for used 385s might be?

Bar and chain are shot, plastic isn't cracked anywhere, but a few screws are missing.

Also, my main question, what should I look at when inspecting the saw?

Thanks...

sawguy21

First of all, a big welcome. $300 seems top dollar for a pawnshop saw especially when it needs a new bar and chain. A quick test is to pick it up by the starter handle. Compression should keep it from dropping. If it turns over easily on it's way to the floor, pass on it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tony_T

If they will let you pull off the muffler and inspect the piston (2 screws I think, may be torx).  Make sure there is no scoring on it or the cylinder wall (check cyl when piston is on down stroke, bring flash light).  Take off air cleaner and look in carb, any dirt/sawdust get past the filter?

Bring some mix and bar oil, start it up.  Does it start (how is recoil mech too), idle and rev up O.K.?  Any smoke, knocking, or unusual vibrations?  Does the oil pump work (e.g. why was the bar/chain toast)?

When you start it, as mentioned above, it should have resistance indicating good compresion.

If he won't let you check it out tell him that $300 is WAY too much for a saw that needs $100 worth of bar and chain and you don't even know if it will run right.

logwalker

If he is asking $300 he will probally take $150 to 200 cash.He paid about $30 or so for it. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Kcwoodbutcher

If it checks out 300 is a good price. You won't come close to that on e-bay. Depending on what bar and chain you use you'll spend another 50 to 110. The 385 hasn't been out that long, but long enough for a pro to wear one out.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Kevin

Pull the air filter off and look inside the carb (choke) for dirt.

secondofangle

A related question:  anyone have any advice on the ebay saws, ie, a stihl 660 or 880?  I"m concerned that some may have heavy wear.  Others look practically new, and usually fetch 80% of the retail price.  There's one guy (moneymatters2004) who keeps listing NEW stihl 660s, never fueled, no bar and chain, and I'm wondering whre he gets them from....I asked him for the serial number of one recently and he made up a bunch of lame excuses why he couldn't provide it......

Raphael

Quote from: secondofangle on October 07, 2006, 01:09:42 AM
I asked him for the serial number of one recently and he made up a bunch of lame excuses why he couldn't provide it......

That would tend to make me a bit nervous, they are certainly off warrantee and at best it means they are being sold outside their target market.  It seems a bit early in the life cycle of the 660 & 880 for them to be rebuilds...
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Dan_Shade

I bought my 066 off of ebay, i'm not sure if I'd recommend it again, the money I have into it at this point, I could have bought a new one, or very close to it.

gotta remember, people who typically buy these saws are loggers and they use the crap out of them, then go buy another one.... 

or they are chainsaw millers, which is also brutal on a saw.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Al_Smith

I've never found a good deal yet on any thing from a pawn shop.They seem to think I have stupid tatooed across my forehead or something.

Now,as for E-Bay,my suggestion is if you don't know how to work on saws,stay away from that place.I myself have had pretty good luck,however but some have not.Don't get caught up in a bidding war.Often times another same saw will come up later for a much better price.

As an example,I watched Mac 125's go for $400 to $700 .I waited until one came up that the owner didn't know what it was.I landed it for $125.It's the black one on Mike Acres site.

Link

Voytek Jarnot

Thanks for the help folks. Picked 'er up today for $200 - they originally had it tagged for $399, but didn't complain much about a $200 dollar offer - which means I didn't go low enough, oh well.

Didn't get a chance to pull the muffler, but does seem to run strong. Carb probably needs adjusting as the chain does run a bit on idle.

Missing a bunch of screws and the stop switch doesn't work - I think I've found the loose wire already though. By god, does it need a cleaning.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as I get to playing...

twoodward15

I read an article on ebay that those stihl saws are a scam.  It was a while ago, too.  Keep away from them unless you know it is legit!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Ianab

Quote from: twoodward15 on October 07, 2006, 11:50:38 AM
I read an article on ebay that those stihl saws are a scam.  It was a while ago, too.  Keep away from them unless you know it is legit!!!

I'd be suspicious too.
I can think of 4 possibilities
1 - there is no saw.
2 - It's hot
3 - It's a Chinese knockoff
4 - It's coming out the back door of a dodgy dealer. He wont give out serial numbers cos then Stihl can trace the saw and pull the dealers franchise.

Either way, you probably dont want to get involved.  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ehp

On the 385 one thing you need to watch is the crank bearings , this is the weak point in this saw now some last forever but some donot last that long either and when they go its all over but the crying .

On ebay I have found that buying brandnew saws I have had no problems but on used saw I have had nothing but problems , I bought 3 used saws that said they all ran very good, 357 xp , the crank was broke on the clutch end, 084 the crome had flaked bad cause someone had ported it and didnot round the edge off. 088 and it was seized tighter than hell so no more used saws for me

sawguy21

Quote from: twoodward15 on October 07, 2006, 11:50:38 AM
Stihl cutoff saw knockoffs are starting to appear on construction sites here. Probably why the seller mentioned would not provide serial numbers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Engineer

Stihl does not warranty saws that are sold outside their dealer network, and they also do not allow their equipment to be sold online (to the best of my knowledge).   The whole point is to guarantee local service and support for their products.  I don't think that there is an issue with accessories (such as bars, chains, hand tools, gloves, etc.) but the power equipment must be sold through a brick-and-mortar dealer.   I have heard that Stihl is pretty inflexible on that point.  So, the guy that's selling them on eBay is probably afraid he'll lose his franchise if he gets caught (or he's selling knockoffs, which is apparently becoming a problem for Stihl).

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Ianab on October 07, 2006, 03:51:41 PM

Either way, you probably dont want to get involved.  ::)

Ian

Good post Ian.  Those guys selling "new" Stihl's pop up all the time.  Not a one of them I'd trust.  Plus, having to look my dealer in the eye when I tell him I bought it somewhere else.  He takes good care of me.  Some shmo off Ebay won't do that.  Stay away from them.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

jpgreen

I bought 2 great Stihl saws off eBay at different times.  Both were "New Old Stock" which had the non epa compliant carbs which I wanted. One an 026 pro, and it was a gem.  Both saws were just like new.

Both sellers had long time 100 pecent feedback, which I also look for.  Any 2 cycle engine used is a risky venture..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!