iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gonna start to saw

Started by lyle niemi, April 27, 2012, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Today or tomorrow, The mill isnt complete yet but a fella wants a 150 2x6x8s. I dont have any logs yet but I have some 4x6 that I can rip down for him.Im sure he will be a repeat costomer so I dont mind. He had just bought a old farm close by and has lots of stuff to fix up.

Sprucegum

A good opportunity to fine tune your lead in and practice your sharpening skills  ;)

beenthere

Hmmm..ripping 4x6 to get two good 2x6 may make for some interesting sawing.
Are the hearts boxed, and what species ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lyle niemi

not completely done the mill yet but I got it good enough to fill a small order. I made a temp diverter and it does the trick for now until I work on the hyd one. I had to rip down 4x6 so I had to add something in behind otherwise it seem to cut thin in between the two bunks. As you can see I found a hole with the fork lift...lol

ALWOL

Must be nice to see it make dust again after all the work you've put into it!
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

lyle niemi

Quote from: ALWOL on April 28, 2012, 12:46:35 AM
   Must be nice to see it make dust again after all the work you've put into it!
It sure is, I still got alot to do to it to get it the way I want it tho. Im already thinkin about the building for it. lol PS thanx again for the help

bandmiller2

Lyle,its a good idea to run the mill before its finalized,some options you don't figure on until you've run a mill.If you feel you have completed the mill your hessitant to pull it apart and make changes. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bama20a

I don't think that fork lift found any dust :D,Man in that last pic'-your are stuck ;D ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Ron Wenrich

What's the reason for 2 cants on the carriage?  I would also build a table to fit over top of the open mandrel, and pit area.  Chunks have a way of finding themselves there if they are too short to hit your belt.  That may hit your saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

lyle niemi

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 28, 2012, 09:09:51 AM
What's the reason for 2 cants on the carriage?  I would also build a table to fit over top of the open mandrel, and pit area.  Chunks have a way of finding themselves there if they are too short to hit your belt.  That may hit your saw.
I tried to rip down the 4x6 and it seemed to get thin between the 2 bunks, I added the other cant and it seem to cut straighter. Maybe Im barkin up a dead dogs azz, Not sure? gonna experiment again today. I still have alot of little things to do, like the table you mentioned but the fella want his lumber asap. So far things seem to be workin good

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 28, 2012, 08:35:15 AM
Lyle,its a good idea to run the mill before its finalized,some options you don't figure on until you've run a mill.If you feel you have completed the mill your hessitant to pull it apart and make changes. Frank C.
Yep, thats what I was thinkin.  Im hopin to get my logs soon but the road bans wont be off till june. That gives me lots of time to work on the mill and get my farming done. I got 200 acres of oats to seed.

Ron Wenrich

You're probably getting some spring in the cants when you split them.  So, that makes sense to do it the way you are.  The spring can heat your blade.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!