iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Always and Never

Started by Magicman, March 12, 2013, 08:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Many times new as well as seasoned sawyers ask questions and rightfully look for answers.  Often these answers are elusive because of the many variables that we all encounter when sawing.  Different sawmills, sawmill options, end product, sawing technique, blades, habits, etc, etc. etc.

Heck, every single log that we load is slightly different and will behave in a slightly different way as slabs, flitches, and lumber are removed.

Ideas and techniques are shared, but many/most times they may not exactly fit the question.  No matter, because each of us can glean valuable knowledge from each answer.  We are all individuals with different strengths and weaknesses, but we fit together quite nicely.  Always and never are seldom absolutes. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tim Lea

Chuck White

Here-Here, Lynn

Those two words are often spoken, and in most cases, shouldn't be!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

You always say that!   ::)
Say when

dboyt

That's where experience and judgement come in.  The more you have the less absolute things are.  The way I see it, intelligent people learn from their mistakes, and smart people learn from the mistakes of others.  Not sayin' I'm either, but I've learned a lot from this forum & my hat is off the the folks who have put their experience (good & bad) out there for the benefit of the rest of us.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

woodNthings

Thank you for posting! It has been so helpful to have this wealth of knowledge at my fingertips, think I've avoided making a lot of mistakes and by reading on here have learned many things the easy way ;D
As stated, there are many opinions out there, and I like hearing them all and getting the education I need.
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

rmack

I always say, you should never do that.   8)

sry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat...
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

m wood

Thankyou Lynn.  You and most everyone here has lent some knowledge in giving me a helping hand.  Folks both younger and older than I.  And from some who've been her longer and shorter than I as well.   This place is great by its own andits (collective membership) merits.  Great and interesting place that keeps great and interesting people showing up.

Thanks to Jeff and his partners too.  I think you had some kinda epiphony some years ago to see the benefits.
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

SwampDonkey

That pretty much sums up some of my thinking on different topics to. Even if it's 'never done that way', I sometimes am too stubborn to not find out for myself. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

I'm always excited to see some new logs!  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jemclimber

Sometimes stubborn is good. Sometimes it just means you have just had the experience to come to your own conclusions and ways of doing things that work for you. 

Sometimes it just means you're stubborn.  I've heard that before.  :D
lt15

millwright

I think the world would be a better place if more people thought like that.

tyb525

Two words I've been guilty of using too many times. It's easy to say something is always or never, harder to accept that not everything is absolute, especially when it comes to opinions.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

I agree with the title of this thread except for when dealing with pecan and sweetgum  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And I would agree with the exceptions.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

??? Did me miss something ???  Lynn is generaly right on about Band mills and often admits no knowledge of circle mills. Also seems to be nicest person I never met So ifn me out of line let me know ??? ??? ???
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Peter Drouin

We all have a dark side  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lud

Always and Never just aren't the absolutes  some folks might think they are.

SHOULD is in the same category..........Anytime somebody tells me what I should do,  I almost always do the exact opposite!    When they say, "This is what you COULD do",  I really consider the possibilities.

Go figure.........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Happycamper

Thanks to this forum and the knowledgeable  and helpful folks in it I bought a little mill and for the first time used it with CONFIDENCE learned here  from these pages. Even ended up with a square cant from my first major log sawn.
Thank you Lynn and so many others.
                                           Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

drobertson

Such a good post, just takes time to simmer,  always reframe from commenting on topics when you never know how the responsne will be taken.  Just saying as the original poster stated, there are so many diversites in our great country, ranging from pricing to practices, techniques to tricks, how is it to say "I always, or I never" all we can do is what is in front of us.  Responses should be taken with a grain of salt, seasoned, and then mixed with whatever other ingredient neccessary for success, making the custormer happy and the supplier income.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tgalbraith

Quote from: Magicman on March 12, 2013, 08:57:15 AM
Many times new as well as seasoned sawyers ask questions and rightfully look for answers.  Often these answers are elusive because of the many variables that we all encounter when sawing.  Different sawmills, sawmill options, end product, sawing technique, blades, habits, etc, etc. etc.

Heck, every single log that we load is slightly different and will behave in a slightly different way as slabs, flitches, and lumber are removed.

Ideas and techniques are shared, but many/most times they may not exactly fit the question.  No matter, because each of us can glean valuable knowledge from each answer.  We are all individuals with different strengths and weaknesses, but we fit together quite nicely.  Always and never are seldom absolutes.
Going on from your original post, another word should be avoided. "Assume" something and it will prove out to make an
"ASS out of U and ME"  The minute taken to verify anything, is a minute well spent.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

LeeB

I'd like to through out another word. Can't. When I had just started in the oilfield, that was the worst word you could say. There was no such thing as can't. I think it was a great philosophy. Sadly that way of thinking has just about gone, not just from the oilfield but in everyday life as well. The can do spirit is fading away. Itry to keep it going. When the guys tell me we can't do something, I tell them we can.. We just have to find the way. Never say can't there's always a way. Can't never could, couldn't wouldn't, and ain't is sitting at home wondering why he got left behind.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!