iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HUSQVARNA---SAW RECOMMENDATIONS

Started by 333_okh, December 17, 2005, 03:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

Lets not even go into which maker is better.  I want to buy another Husqvarna.

Here is the deal.   Iuse the saw to cut wood into blocks for turners and carvers, as well as small falling jobs, and a little slabing.  I was using a Husqvarna 55, but I did bad things to it and...well...we don't need to go into that!

Anyway, from the poor description I gave what Husqvarna saw would you recommend I get.

Rocky_J

As someone who makes a living with my chainsaws, I would only consider the pro models. In Husky, those are the XP models. 346XP, 357XP, 372XP, etc. You gave us no clue as to what size saw you're looking for, so I'd say to just start by narrowing it down to the pro versions and then pick the size that's right for your applications. THe 357XP should be a bit stronger than your old 55 Rancher and about the same weight.

333_okh

If I only needed a 20 or 24 inch bar what model would you recommend.

I do like the pro models but would the 353 and or 359 do as well for me when I am only sawing on the weekends and holiday, but when I do it is an all day endeavor.

twistedtree

the 346XP is the same HP as the 55 (3.4HP), yet about a pound lighter.  It packs a great punch for the weight.

The 353 is less power and more weight than the 346XP.  The 359 is about 10% more power than the 346XP, but almost 2 lbs heavier (12lbs).  If you are going to go for a 12lb saw, the 357XP hasthe most power in that range (4.4HP).

Max sawdust

Sounds like you give the saw a workout when you use it.  I would follow Rocky's suggestion and stick with the pro XP models.  You can get a 346XP for $390 or so. 
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

333_okh

I will admit that I have had a couple smaller non-pro saws that were burnt up fairly fast.  Just too much slabbing and extended running.  I usually have one saw running the whole time while another guy does the other processing.  The Husky 51 I had lasted a long time to my suprise.  Now she is just my firewood saw.  Not a lot of power left in the old girl.

Dan_F

Go with the 357xp if you plan on doing this on a regular basis.
2001 F-350 flatbed dump, JD 550, Kubota L48, Cat 966, Cat D7, Lucas 613, 14 husqvarnas

sawguy21

For slabbing or use with a 24" bar, I would suggest the new 570. Lighter than the 575 and has a broad powerband. A 372XP would be great if you can find one. You are limited to a 20" bar,095 tail pattern, on the small frame saws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

333_okh

Rocky_J

Quote from: 333_okh on December 18, 2005, 08:03:49 PM
What about the 359?
Sounds like you want the 359. If so, then buy it. Just don't buy it thinking it's going to be 'just as strong' as a 357XP for $100 cheaper. It is a lesser saw for a lesser price than the pro saw. Perhaps it's exactly what you want though.
:)

333_okh

Well in the long run I will probably get an XP, but I was looking at all of the options.  At one time I saw the 353 and the 359 listed as professional saws with mag crank etc....now I do not see that, but they had the XPs at the same time.  I have a 246 Husky for a work saw and it is amazing how fast it cuts downed trees, but probably too little a saw for this?

Mojo

If you prefer a smaller saw than the 575 but need the amount of power it produces, get a 359. Do the exhaust and carb mods and have it ported and you'll have plenty of power, in a lighter saw - these mods will also IMPROVE reliability from stock if they are done by a person who knows what they are doing, since the carbs are too lean (especially at high rpm's in cold weather) and the exhaust holds in too much heat on the stock saw. The 346 can be improved upon from stock also, but it won't make the power of even the 372 even with the best mods - just too small of a motor, but it is 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the 359, so that is something to consider. If you get a good price on the saw and mods, the price will be comparable to a new bone-stock 357 - definitely worth considering.

333_okh

I will take this into consideration....

So are the Jonsered saws the same as Husqvarna, and should we really be thinking about on of them???

twistedtree

Quote from: 333_okh on December 19, 2005, 12:54:39 AM
I will take this into consideration....

So are the Jonsered saws the same as Husqvarna, and should we really be thinking about on of them???

Yes, they are the same.

SawTroll

Quote from: twistedtree on December 20, 2005, 08:51:49 PM
Yes, they are the same.
They are basically the same, but the Jred has that inconvenient streight across front handlebars.
There are also other differenses in details and specs, varying from model to model.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: twistedtree on December 17, 2005, 07:11:49 PM
..... The 359 is about 10% more power than the 346XP, but almost 2 lbs heavier (12lbs).  If you are going to go for a 12lb saw, the 357XP hasthe most power in that range (4.4HP).
The published weight of Husky and Jred saws are pretty optimistic, and the 357 and 359 are among the worst cases according to test reports from KWF and DLG.
Information collector.

David B

I like my 395xp. But it's kinda heavy  ;D
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Thank You Sponsors!