iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What about a Stihl 048

Started by 333_okh, January 26, 2007, 09:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

A good friend of mine gave me a Stihl 048 with a 36 inch bar today.  The saw has the original chain and bar on it.  The paint, even on the bar shows little wear.  He got it from a friend's wife after his buddy died, that was almost 7 years ago.  He had it tuned and put it away.  The only time he ran the saw was to cut a block after he got it back from the saw shop. 

Today, I put a little mix in and oil for the bar and she fired on the 6th pull of the cord.

What can you tell me about the specs on this saw? Do any of you run them? What do you think?

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

333_okh

Many thanks....anyone know when they stopped making them??????

SawTroll

Quote from: 333_okh on January 26, 2007, 09:51:39 PM

I have one source saying 1985, and another saying 1987.......

Both (+CSCC) say production started in 1980.
Information collector.

rewimmer

I have three 048's. The dates above are about correct. I highly modified two of them and ran them in cutting competition. They are great saws and 042 parts will fit them. You should replace the fuel line asap and check the other rubber parts. Carb may need a kit and do a search on ebay for "stihl 042 parts". There were a few changes during their production and correct part may depend on ser. no. The difference between the 042 and 048 is the bore dia. The 048 is 4.8 cu. in. and the 042 is 4.2 cu. in. If you see the pic to the left of my post, that is a Stihl 048 and I have ran it for over 20 years. It is still my best and fastest cutting saw. I cut 98 loads of fire wood one year with it plus my own wood and used it for farm use that year also.
Robert in virginia

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on January 27, 2007, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: 333_okh on January 26, 2007, 09:51:39 PM

I have one source saying 1985, and another saying 1987.......

Both (+CSCC) say production started in 1980.

I am actually a bit puzzled by the info I found :P, as I thought the 048 was replaced by the 046, but obviously not so....... ??? ???
Information collector.

333_okh

Quote from: rewimmer on January 27, 2007, 06:24:26 PM
I have three 048's. The dates above are about correct. I highly modified two of them and ran them in cutting competition. They are great saws and 042 parts will fit them. You should replace the fuel line asap and check the other rubber parts. Carb may need a kit and do a search on ebay for "stihl 042 parts". There were a few changes during their production and correct part may depend on ser. no. The difference between the 042 and 048 is the bore dia. The 048 is 4.8 cu. in. and the 042 is 4.2 cu. in. If you see the pic to the left of my post, that is a Stihl 048 and I have ran it for over 20 years. It is still my best and fastest cutting saw. I cut 98 loads of fire wood one year with it plus my own wood and used it for farm use that year also.
Robert in virginia

I used it to buck a redwood yesterday that was a little wider than the 36 inch bar.  I had to cut from both side.....man that saw rips!  It will be on madrone and maple today.

Al_Smith

I have one 042 and two 048's.Pretty peppy saws ,the taken for granted size is 4.8 cubic inchs for the 048 and 4.2 for the 042.The actual size is 4.67 cu in[77 cc] for the 048 and 4.15 [68 cc] for the 042.

The 048,in my opinion has about the same grunt as an 046 but may be a tad slower.The 042 is some what of an odd ball in size,between the 038 and the 038 mag and 044/ms 440.

I normally use a 20" bar on these saws but have used a 32" on the 048 which handles it with no problem other than being a bit stingy on bar oil output.

The saws more all intents are basically trhe same except for perhaps some of the plastic covers over the air cleaners  .Some used an SEM ignition moduaql and some used a Bosc,which do not interchange,by the way.

The weak link of these saws is the fact they used slotted screws to hold the crank case halves together,kind of dumb,really.They could develop case leaks which caused them to run lean,not good.The fix is to replace those slotted screws with socket or torx head bolts.

sawguy21

I agree Al. I am cussing those slot head screws trying to disassemble an 045 Super. Allen head screws are going back in where possible.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

333_okh

I am enjoying the saw.  It has a lot of power in the stuimp when falling trees.  Seems to have more torque than new saws, but maybe less chain speed?

badboy12

I bought my 048AVEQ in January 1984 and I have nothing but good to say about this unit.  It's been to the repair shop once in all that time and only for minor work which cost me less than $100.  I've felled and bucked ash, oak and maple and this saw ploughed through all of it. I heat with wood and mill the saw logs so it gets a lot of use.  The dealer recommended that I use a 20:1 mixture early on and then go leaner once the saw had run in.  It seems to have worked for me.  The saw was manufactured in West Germany and unlike some of the newer Stihls there are not as many plastic components.  No doubt this has played a part in the longevity.  Two other factors probably contribute to the long life.  I never lend the saw to anyone,ever.  Secondly, I maintain this unit daily and keep the chain sharp.  It's 77cc with a 72 drive link chain and while it's RPM is lower than my Husky 136(which I don't like) limbing saw the power from the displacement more than makes up for that. At 20lbs this saw is getting a bit heavy as I near 60 so it may go to my son.  I'm now looking at an MS260 pro as the replacement.  My neighbour broke his wrist and can't use it.  It's virtually a brand new unit with about an hour on it.  Anyone have any opinions this saw? 

tyb525

The MS260 is a much, much smaller saw then what you're used to, that's about all I can say.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Like I said before ,the only draw back on the 042/048 is a shortage of repair parts .Some things  are still available   and others you just about have to find on flea bay .

Nothing wrong with the saws which BTW are pretty much the same design as the 028 and 038 series .Fact they all use the same oiler in case anybody wondered .

I'm not saying for the less experianced  to rush right out and buy one but if you have access to a cheap one or already own one ,use it .The thing will give you good service with proper care .

The only reason mine don't see much service is because I have a shed full of saws but they do get a run every so often just to keep them limbered up .

Thank You Sponsors!