iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging photos this winter

Started by BEEMERS, April 05, 2014, 03:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEEMERS

BEEMERS

that didn't work like I had planned...so....Help? Iron mule.my daughter.load of logs...Pic with my hand shows how clean a lot of the wood was right off the stump...Pic with saw is a 288xp with a 24 inch bar to show how big some of the popple was.big pile is sitting there now waiting for load restrictions and mud to dry up.What do you guys think? 

thecfarm

This will do it for ya. The hard part is done.
Nice pictures.
I think there is a place to rotate the pictures too.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BEEMERS

BEEMERS

xalexjx

watch those transmission wires, wouldnt want to get too close or youd have a melted mule  ;)
Logging and Processed Firewood

BEEMERS

My skidder ( dozer ). The chain is attached to the drawbar and run up over that big bar/bumper on back then down to log/logs.when Im tight to the log I put the bade down which picks up the front of the tracks which also lowers that bar by a foot or so. Short hook the chains ,lift the blade, front goes back down and butt of tree is 10 or so inches off the ground.not the lift you get with a skidder but it makes a big difference. Plus it gets in and out of a lot tighter places,its 6 foot wide at tracks. Tree is a cherry I found..it is literally the ONLY cherry I have...but about 18 inches and @ 40 foot of veneer....I didn't even now I had a cherry like that!!
thecfarm..thank you very much..i hope this worked..looking forward to comments or questions!

BEEMERS

Got that right on those lines..way higher than the mule can reach but the self loader truck can sure get into them..also fell everything away from them,didnt even try letting any trees go that way..was a little spooky landing under the lines but *DanG..what a landing it made!! had to take advantage of that!

Southside

Beemers, I have only run one mule for a short time so I am not an expert -but what is with the hood of your machine?  It appears to slope quite a lot to the cab.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Nice pictures of your little girl. One of my friends bring over his grandaughter,she is 12 now. She loves the tractor and the woods. They will come find me when they come over. She will walk the tree after I cut it down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Wow! That is some nice aspen. Cute little girl you have, too!
Too many irons in the fire

BEEMERS

Southside..thats how those mules were built..Gafner would order a ford tractor minus the front axel..I think they were ford 4000's and 5000's on the bigger mules.and another rear axle and put it all together with their forwarder parts.
I don't know why the hood points up like that..maybe ground clearance for the front? maybe the appearance? I dont know that's a good question for the Forum.
But I do know this...If its pointing up its a GOOD thing..When that big center pin starts to get sloppy and loose the hood will start to level out and that's  BAD.If you see an old mule with the hood level,its in dire need of a rebuild in the center turn area
Don't get that confused with the newer mules in the mid 80's they changed up and built their own forwarder not based on Ford tractors.I think they bought out Pettibone and gained the means to build all in house and that machine  had a level hood when new.
Also I cant speak for the way older mules when they were built on a massey-ferguson tractor.cant  recall how their machines were,whether straight or angled up..I mean when new.
Cfarm thanks for the comments,she will be 4 in 12 days! She insisted on that pic on the stump with her favorite stick.

BEEMERS

Thanks barbender. Those trees were  mostly producing 5 and 6 logs 10 foot 4 inches.I even had a handful that produce 7 saw logs again 10'4".They haven't been touched since the era of the white pine and the logging railroads in my area in the 1880's
These trees are the product of that near clearcut..and the forest fires that ravaged the land afterward.They are dying out in clumps every year and I don't think my window of opportunity is very big on harvesting these before they are gone.And the market for these trees is really good right now.

chevytaHOE5674

I was told by somebody that worked for Gafner that the front end was indeed pointed up because it gave the machine better ground clearance and a better approach angle to help on hills and loading on trailers.

mad murdock

That is some beautiful popple. Nice pic of your supervisor too.  We bought a new 4501 mule in 1982. Looked a lot like yours, had the 3 cyl Perkins. Yours is looking in great shape.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

nice pics of the boss I have 2 of them not counting the wife  :laugh: always thought I was self employed in till a few years ago  :D nice logs that one pic of the stump and tree look a lot like a cherry with the red heart  ;D

Magicman

QuoteShe insisted on that pic on the stump with her favorite stick.
Very cute.  There is just something about cute little girls with sticks in the woods.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NS logging

Nice wood--beautiful daughter.  I have three...ages 19, 16, and 5.  Only the little one visits the job anymore

Ron Scott

Nice pictures! Good to see another Iron Mule still working.
~Ron

BEEMERS

ChevyTahoe..Im sure your right on the pointed up hood on the old mules.Its hard to get used to...If you don't know whats going on they look broke when theyre not and are broke when the hoods level!
Murdock..its a 4501 also I love it for the size..8'6 wide..you just cant find that anymore.Im sure it was a 3 cyl. but when I bought it the engine was all blue and a 4 cylinder..from what I know the bigger ones..the 5000 series had four cylinders and I assume that mine was a 3 and repowered with a ford tractor (blue) engine 4 cyl.
maybe I got the best of both worlds..it will pull itself over sideways before it fails to lift anything.

bedway

Those are some nice logs you got there, but the real keeper is that beautiful 4 year old. ;) Gosh they grow up fast, so treasure the young years with them.

BEEMERS

Thank you guys for appreciating the pics of my daughter..I have 2 boys also 7 & 9 I'll throw some more pics up..I know this is a logging forum but she is on a stump!! Its just that theyre in school all day, and shes back playin lumberjack!
Coxy, the stump is an Aspen with a hole in the center..I figured someone would mention the spears stickin up...I had to leave some extra holding wood on that side to coax it over that direction.
The tree is indeed a cherry.I have a little sand ground on the west side of property with a little scrubby junk cherry. And then clay loam soils on the rest with big aspen and red oak.Some white oak and soft maple and some Old white pine left behind from the 1880,s and in the middle of it all I find this ONE cherry!!
Its nice,hard to take a pic of its @ 18 inches across..not big but veneer for @ 4o feet,a little bump and ten more feet of veneer...fifty feet to a branch and straight as an arrow,no visible taper either.
This is literally the ONLY cherry at ALL..of any quality..I know the land adjoining me too...funything is on 400 acres I have exactly 1 Beech also.I lived here all my life again,more beech the north aways but a mile or so..
Its nothing great a foot diameter and tall..My land is a square mile missing NW and SE corners..I know whats in them ..and around it and over a square mile with 1 cherry and 1beech.

BEEMERS

Thought Id find some tough old loggers and lumberjacks here...found them and also,good men with big hearts and a love and respect for family, fatherhood and children...of all my photos it seems like ONE really got a lot more response than the rest...hence,my new Avatar!!

luvmexfood

Yep. I see who the boss on that job is now. Enjoy them while they are young.

When my daughter was about that age she wanted me to take her deer hunting with me. Went one morning while she was still in bed and came back in around 10:30 wearing camo. She looked at me and said "you went hunting without me". That evening I was almost out the door in camo when she saw me and cried wanting to go.

Bundled her up and took her. She had a little blue toy rifle she took. We went out and set on a log and I put my muzzleloader in front or us leaning on a tree. She did the same with her little blue gun. She was super quite and much to my suprise a 6 point came right up on us. When I easied to get my gun she did the same to get her toy gun. Harvested the six point with her and it is a memory I will never forget.

Another time when she was older I took her and we were in a buddy stand. Along comes a spike right under us and I was going to let it go. She is whispering shoot it dad. Shoot it. I did but when the field dressing started she went to the truck. But she will eat every bite of venision you fix for her.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

luvmexfood,that is a nice story  :)

Thank You Sponsors!