iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles

Started by DouginUtah, July 27, 2012, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I thought about posting this in Woodworking--but let's just pretend I have a timber-frame with a shed roof that I am shingling.

When putting the last row of shingles down how would you finish it off?

The only way I can figure out how to do it is to cut off the top half (or so) of the shingles then put the metal flashing over the last row and nail it down. The shingle salesman suggested that I bend the last row over the header, but that would be putting a 90° bend in the shingle and would look crappy only covering 1/2 of the 2x6, to say nothing of how long it would be before the bend would split.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Will depend on what type of shingle you are laying.

Here is one example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYOfC5o4zeM
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DouginUtah

No, no, no.

There is no ridge. Maybe I'm not using the right word. The roof consists of one row of 2x6s. One end sits on an 8' wall the other end sits on a 10' wall.

-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Ok
That helps. Its a flat roof on a slope.

Now, what are you putting down for shingles? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I would put drip edge on with aluminum flashing underneath it, the drip edge bent slightly over the header
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DouginUtah

Quote from: beenthere on July 27, 2012, 09:15:05 PM

That helps. Its a flat roof on a slope.
Now, what are you putting down for shingles?

Regular asphalt architectural shingles, just like the ones in the video you posted.

Quote from: tyb525 on July 27, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
I would put drip edge on with aluminum flashing underneath it, the drip edge bent slightly over the header

I hadn't thought about that. I should go to the store and see what different flashing is available. I am using tin flashing which I think is referred to as Type D. ? Maybe not.

|

(Just 1/8" between the two horizontal lines.)
-Doug

---

LOGDOG

Doug,

If you're roofing that from the bottom up, when you get to your last course, your top layer of shingles would have the starter portion (above the tabs) exposed and probably showing an exposed (undecorated ) portion of the shingle of about roughly 7" or so. I'd lay out my roof, and snap lines so that the amount of exposure I show on the shingle tabs brings me up to a point on the roof where maybe I only have like 2" or 3" above the tabs exposed at the roof line. Then like Tyb525 said, I'd probably cap over the top of that with a robust drip edge that has a nice wide flange. For a few bucks, you can even have someone with a break form some up for you out of colored aluminum. There's actually several ways a person could trim that top edge out.

Thank You Sponsors!