iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things to do with small stuff pics

Started by AndyB, August 08, 2003, 10:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyB

Thought I would post a few pics of things I make from leftover scraps of wood.

Above multiaxis box & Christmas tree ornaments, diamond bowls.

Minature boxes, center box has threaded lid.

Diamond shaped bowls and vase turned on the bias

8) 8)

WoodChucker

AndyB,

Hey really nice work, thanks for sharing it with us. :)
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Very nice Andy, thanks for showing us your handiwork. What kind of wood did you use for the threaded box in the middle pic?

AndyB

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bill_B

Nice work. On the box with the threaded cover did you use a thread chaser?
Bill B

Left_Coast_Rich

I am always amazed at the creativity of a free people with a free mind... :)  Great looking stuff.  Now How did you think of it? and how did you do it?   Rich..
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

shopteacher

Nice work Andy.  Those little pieces can produce some mighty fine projects if you know just how to look at the wood for that hidden item lurking inside. :P
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

AndyB

Bill_B - No. I cheated and used a Bonnie Klein threading gig.  I can only handle the manual thread chaser on larger boxes.

Rick - I belong to a woodturning club and get to see a lot of different ideas turned from wood. Tthen you put in a lot of time on the lathe making shavings and once in ahile something comes out nice and even surprising.

Shopteacher - I'm always looking but most of the time it eludes me. :-[ :-[

ElectricAl

Andy,

Do you have a market?
Or do you display your fine work at home?

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

AndyB

Al

When I can keep my boss out of the shop the stuff I make is sold through two galleries.  If the boss gets in the shop she declares everything in sight a "keeper" :D

After 46 years I have declared her a "keeper" 8) 8) 8)

Frank_Pender

AndyB, very nice workmanship.  I like those diamond bowls.  Yep, every log is a new secret, when opened. :)  I too have the same sort of problem in keeping the "keeper out" of the shop.  I am running out of room in my house.   The one thing I enjoy doing is haring many of the fall  down peieces of wood with woodworkers, just by giving them the material and asking for a photo of some of the projects, when finished.
Frank Pender

AndyB

Frank -

I give wood to new turners.  We have a mentoring program in our club so some of us volunteer to take new members and assist them with the fundamentals.  Forces you to stay sharp.

We also have a silent auction each month and members bring in wood to be auctioned.  The proceeds go to the club to purchase of new equipment, videos etc.  Pretty good procedure and generates some funds for the club as a whole.

ElectricAl

Andy,

Are you turning green or dried stock?

Linda and I have been spinning green lately because we just can't stand to wait ;D

Kinda fun having the water splatter your face shield.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

AndyB

Al

I turn both green and dry wood.  The small boxes & diamond bowls are all turned dry.  The distortion would be too much using green wood and the lids would not have a good fit and the wings on the bowls would not stay parallel.

I rough turn a lot of bowls and vases and set them aside to dry.  After a month or two I remount them and turn them to final shape, then apply the finish.

I have all the components rounded up to make a kiln for drying turnings.  A gent from the Ohio Valley Woodturners made one and had some instructions on their web-site.

You take an old upright freezer, strip the compressor etc off, install a controller for your heat source, a fan, and a vent grid.  The heat source he used was two 60 watt light bulbs.  Has an external temperature/humidity display.

He said his bowls etc. are down to 6-8% in thirty days.  Of course, every thing is rough turned before loading the kiln.

When I get this thing put together, I'll post some picture with part# and sources for the components.

Turning green wood is fun.  The shavings come off like peeling apples.  I always use it when I am teaching new turners or giving demos.

Frank_Pender

Andy, we do somewhat the ame kind of thing on the materials issue.  Some of us bring different kinds of wood each month and everyone buys a ticket for a dollar.  There is no limit on the number of tickets you cn purchase.  They we draw the tickets to see who gets to go next to pick out what piece of wood they want.  I have taken in some pretty nice pieces of burly Maple and the ticket sales sure rise.  8)  I never seem to buy any tickets as I have so much in the way of material to work with, it seems almost anteclimatic. :-/
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!