Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Why do you think i moved to tennessee?  

:p
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

I don't think the grapples have liked longer logs especially since they are on a log loader.

Crusarius

I got sick of never having chains long enough to wrap around the bucket and pick up logs. So after buying a pair of nice choker chains from Logrite I finally made a set of hooks for my bucket.

thecfarm

Crusarius,good idea.
I took a length of chain,kinda like a smiley in front of the bucket. I drilled a ½ inch hole at the upper corner of each side of the bucket. I had to make the first link a little egg shape to get the bolt through the link of the chain. I put the keyhole part of a slider from my 3 pt winch onto the chain. Then I took the slider off and put a hook in its place. When I pick up a rock that is a little to big for the tractor one wheel comes off the ground,I can slide the keyhole over to keep both wheels on the ground. 6 inches makes a big difference. And comes in handy too if I can't reach something,I can slide it over more. The keyhole hangs just a little below the bucket,just a few inches.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

never thought about doing it that way. That would have been a lot easier. The nice thing about this is I have 3 slots on each side and 4 slots in the middle. So if I get really serious I can hook plenty of chains. Or I can just hook the tail to keep it out of the way.

I can hook from the front of the bucket or the back of the bucket.

Thanx for the kudos.

mike_belben

I had all sorts of chains hanging off the backrack of my dozer blade and discovered that it wasnt always faster to hang every stem on that i could.  A lot of times the logs would climb over each other in a turn and be completely bungled.

With a bucket you have the added feature of curl to help get out but with a dozer i could only set the blade down.  Ive had to buck a piece off the log to get unchained.  

Found that it was more forgiving to stretch out one long chain off the blade like a mainline and clip short chains and logs to it in various places then flat drag the whole trot line out. If it bungled i could still free the machine and then push them apart with it.  This also gave me a lot more maneuverability on the trail than having the butts choked up against the blade.  If things got wrong enough you could splinter a butt without realizing it when they were jammed into the blade and wedged in a turn. 

Really looking forward to a winch and sliders soon. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Primary reason for this setup is just lifting logs to unload trailer and setting on mill. But I also use my tractor to move alot of things around. I try not to skid if I can avoid it.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Hilltop366

That will be handy, I have a couple of grab hooks welded to the outside edge of mine. Yours are probably far enough back from the front to avoid bending the bucket.

I was told by a very experienced welder to put the hooks as close to the outside edge as possible for lifting, my tractor bucket also has one in the centre that was put on by the previous owner and yes he bent the bucket.

Crusarius

mine are place 1/2" from the bend in the bucket. they should be plenty strong. we will see the first time I have to pick up a log that the tractor can barely lift :)

I almost just did what you did with the hooks but I wanted to be able to use them from both sides. My dad made some on a swivel that worked really slick off both sides so I made these to work both ways. Really love the extra slots to hang the tail of the chain so it does not drag on me.

Hilltop366

Yep, you will know once you put them to the test.

I will caution anyone with a 4x4 tractor that pulls heavy objects with their front bucket to watch out for lifting the back wheels off the ground, lots of "fun" can happen quick! The higher the bucket the worse it is.

If I need to pull something very heavy or something is stuck I will roll the bucket part way to the dump position then back up to tighten the chain and stick the cutting edge on the ground and then roll the bucket back, I'm always amazed at how much I can move this way.

Crusarius

had more than my fair share of wholly bad word moments :)

thecfarm

Kinda like when the fronts wheels start to come of the ground,Step on the clutch!!!
Than when the rear wheels comes off the ground,lower the bucket!!! Seem like both times,both ends come down fast. Need a crinching smiley.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Good idea with slider keyhole and hook on a "smiley" chain across the bucket Ray.

gg

Oliver05262

I pulled the hydrostatic pumps out of a New Holland skidsteer on Thursday. Not a fun job, but the dealer let me use the tools to jack the cab. I was preparing to take them out the front, but in hindsight, I don't think I could have lasted long enough!!!
  Nice big shop, converted from a horse arena, with a floor poured in half of it. Even plenty of room to get my crummy inside! Summer time shop, cause it's high on a hill, and cold & windy in the winter.
Oh yeah, there's a 440A skidder parked inside, so it does have something to do with logging.

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

mike_belben

Im gonna need to do pumps and/or wheel motors soon.  Not looking forward to the machine being down. 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

This engine followed me home. Plan to make a small table top sawmill. Turned out to be a C-153 out of a combine. No liners but more power, not sure if that is good or not.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Lotta fab lately, gonna run out of welding gas soon and be in a real bind.  My leased tank needs to go back to massachusetts and ill be without for a while.  

Bar rail closer

Drop on sides for my rock bucket

Track and carriage setup for chainsaw milling from stopsign and conduit.  

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

A bit of over kill there Mike on the rail closer, I've never used one always done the tap the rails closed on the harvester bars. For the saw bar once I switched to sugihara bars I haven't had to do any maintenance on them and they've been through two power heads.

mike_belben

its surprisingly tough to close them by bearings, i was just about to give up on it. was spreading apart until it got to this stage so it's actually kinda minimal.  Id love to have a hammer style squeezer but this'll do.

Incredible difference in cut quality once the rails were closed. This bar wouldnt buck a piece of firewood and now its making lumber. 

Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Making progress on the loading arch.

Looks like a pulley block in a tree for unloading will be next.

Not easy to make a video with the phone in one hand and the other trying to run the machine.

Self Log Loading - YouTube
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

That worked out great.  Ive been thinking i need a pin on deadheader on the back of my little bunk trailer.

Youre at about half capacity on those back tires.  I blew up 3 of them then went to car donuts and just blew one of those too.  31" MTRs are going on next.  Wish i had the garden rubber foamed.
Praise The Lord

g_man

Quote from: Puffergas on September 30, 2018, 08:43:35 PM
Making progress on the loading arch.

Looks like a pulley block in a tree for unloading will be next.

Not easy to make a video with the phone in one hand and the other trying to run the machine.

Self Log Loading - YouTube
That works good. Like the video. Much better than my method of lifting one end and then pulling the log up and on with the winch. Hard on the back and I need something up front to hold the already loaded logs from pushing forward. A winter project for me.

gg

Puffergas

Here is a shorter video. It was the first test load.

First arch loading test - YouTube
Jeff

cdixon4950

Spray Skidder
500gal. steel tank
Deere GPS
3 section control
Rate control
50' swath

Thank You Sponsors!